User Tag List

Thread: Ankle weights?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ankle weights?

Thoughts on ankle weights? Im thinking about getting 5lbs or less ankle weights to wear during my training sessions for when Im doing footwork drills.
    Cons and pros?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there are any cons besides being tired..which isn't really one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you put on too much weight it can harm your joints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I shouldn't go beyond 5 lbs? Will it do any permanenet damage? I don't want to risk getting permanently hurt while using them

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of ankle weights, I would suggest a weighted jacket. This positions the weight around your core, not at your extremeties.

Even better, if you have the assistance of a partner, use a bungee harness. Your partner provides some tension as the initial push-off, and then follows you in slightly.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Instead of ankle weights, I would suggest a weighted jacket. This positions the weight around your core, not at your extremeties.
    Ankle weights can do harm to your knees. Weighted jackets are the way to go imo. Bintang badminton used to train kids with ankle weights, all their students have now switched to using weighted vests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gollum is probably one of the more knowledgeable (and credible) BCer's I know.
    A lot of the things he posted (if you do a search from his profile) is great info for beginners.
    ie. That means I agree with what he suggested.

A friend of mine (who is a graduate of kinesiology) also made the same suggestion.
    I would add though that, having too much weight in your vest would be detrimental to your training because it will fatigue your muscles quicker and then promote bad form or increase the risk of injury.

I usually use weighted vest to do jumping lunges on my strength training days (off days from badminton). And even then, I do lower reps with a specific focus on explosive movements and good form. This type of exercise increases your thigh's and calves' ability (mostly the thigh and posterior chain actually) to perform explosive movements and will essentially do the same thing as training/playing with a weighted vest on. But because the movements are much simpler with less momentum/weight shifts, you will put less stress on your ankles and also be less prone to injury.

The exercise suggested (the bungee harness thing) by Mike (I think that's Gollum's real name, correct me if I'm wrong) is commonly used in MMA training. It is especially effective for training for the wrestling aspect (explosive full-body movement but also maintaining stability and strength).

For most people, even weighted vests would be a bit overkill. There are other exercises that can achieve the same results. I'd recommend exhausting those before you move on to training with a weighted vest...

I assume your end goal is to become quicker in your footwork.
    I would suggest doing the "ladder". This is a drill commonly used in football (American and otherwise) to train people to literally move their feet faster.
    Another good exercise is sprinting with a parachute. Though it may sound unconventional for a badminton player (as this is more often used to train sprinters and fighters), you must know that sprinters and fighters (the two groups most likely to do parachute sprints) are among the most explosive athletes on the planet (aside from power lifters, but power lifters are generally a lot heavier). If you translate the same explosive movements you'll develop with parachute sprints into your initial steps in badminton you will see great improvements in your shot retrieval as well as your ability to jump from base position to intercept most shots (imagine LCW type of athleticism).

My last suggestion is probably the most neglected aspect for non-professional athletes. It is the neurological connection to the muscles. Your brain and nervous system can be tuned to fire more efficiently. You will always hear coaches telling their athletes to "visualize the fight", or "visualize the movement". This process of imagining the movements without moving the muscles actually still fires the neurons in your brain that activate the muscles you are imagining to move. (Reread that sentence if it's confusing).
    The more often these sets of neurons fire, the better the connections will be. The better the connections, the quicker the signals will travel. Ultimately, you will move quicker.

Sometimes when you play against an opponent more and more, you will be more likely to intercept their smash. You will also hear some fighters say that, they've learned the rhythm of their opponent's punches. (Note, although these two processes are not the same as the "imagining exercise", the results are the same: your neurons are fired in a set pattern repeatedly and eventually become more efficient)