Please me improve my smashes ( Video Included )

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jason123, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Hey everyone,

I'm a beginner ( played for around 7 months now )

Im 5 foot 8, 17 years old. I wouldnt say I'm weak, But not strong either.

I am very fast on the court, I play doubles for 2 hour sessions and hardly get tired

I'm hoping on this community to help me improve my smashes, I don't know if I am doing it right or wrong, Please tell me and help me get better

Heres the video - you might want to mute it cause when I smash it hits the wood behind it and its kinda annoying even for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3xkw9RVw4o

P.S some bits are slowed down some are played at normal speed, Sorry for the poor quality, all the smashes are different

Im using broken feather shuttles here, I didnt want to use new ones just to practice with.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated

2. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Title - Please help my improve my smashes **********

Sorry about that

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It's very good that you included a video to help define your question.

I'm the least qualified to correct you on the finer points, but i can say that your video shows you not throwing the birds high enough to really practice a proper smash. Your low toss means that you are swinging with a very bent elbow, making contact around head level and you have no chance to rotate your body much. The only thing getting a workout is your wrist pronation.

There are lots of threads and links to videos on Badminton Central that can help your smash technique. For example:http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...ching-how-to-smash?highlight=Fu+Haifeng+smash
    And hopefully some of the better minds here will give you a more thorough critique.

4. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

not a gd way to train yr smash

i suggest u get practice with someone feeding you with high serve n u smash it with.

tape it down n show every1 again

otherwise join a club n get proper training

the way u r throwing upwards is not consistent n u need alot of training to improve

happy playing

5. LiningBOY97

LiningBOY97 Regular Member

Shuttler
    Wrong technique in smashing. You should get a coach in helping you to perfect your technique and get him to feed you mutiples for smashing .

6. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Would be great if you told me what I was doing wrong

And yeah I will get someone to serve it high to me next time,

7. yeerenyuan

yeerenyuan Regular Member

Generally too much elbow and not enough arm movement. You need to throw your arm downwards to create angle when smashing. I can see you have decent power from hitting the shuttle using your wrist pronation alone but that is not enough for angle and power. Smashing requires a lot of practice for correct timing. Timing is everything for a good smash. Best of luck

8. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Thank you so much. that was the kind of help i was looking for

9. 729927852

729927852 Regular Member

10. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Take a look at the youtube video posted above, no one has mentioned it yet but it's mainly a grip problem. You have a panhandle grip meaning that basically you're slapping the shuttle in that your racket face remains flat from the beginning of the stroke to the point where you hit the shuttle.

While it works when you're just starting out, you're beginning to notice the limitations in the that the grip limits the power you can generate on a smash.

I used to have panhandle grip too when I started out and switched to the proper grip after a year, but it took a long time. It'll be a lot of hard work, but I'm glad you came to the boards for help! good luck =)

11. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    Sorry i have to disagree. Less arm action more wrist action equals to better smash. Don't believe me? Watch coach lee Jae bok on YouTube. That very little movement of wrist is enough for me to push, power drive and smash hard. Just try this one simple practice , forehand cross court push , try with arm movement and just wrist movement, the result will be arm movement less control and power plus probably the shuttle will hit the net. With wrist you'll see the difference. Badminton is all about control and feel, you will actually feel that you are hitting with your hands. If you just swing with arm , elbow you won't get the feel. Trust me it took me 2 years to get my skills right and It is still long way to go

#11 Zackster, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  12. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Technically you're both right. What Zackster is trying to say is that just using your arm action alone won't get you a powerful smash, you need to use your wrist as well. Using the proper technique with your wrist, you should be able to get a fairly powerful smash. Where yeerenyuan's point comes in is after you are proficient in smashing with the proper form using your wrist snap. Then you can use your arm power together with your wrist to have a thundering smash, but that's a long away from what you're doing since you only started 7 months ago. I would just start looking at videos about the proper smash technique and try to mimic it using very little whole-arm action and focus on the wrist snap using pronation of the forearm.

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Self-feeding is difficult to get right. Your actual smash technique could be totally different from what we're seeing here.

I would suggest getting video on a badminton court instead, with a partner racket-feeding shuttles to you.

No, it doesn't.

If you watch top players smashing in slow motion, you will see very little movement of the wrist. In particular, the wrist does not flex significantly beyond a neutral position (before the hit, however, there is typically some wrist extension / radial deviation).

Of course, you may mean something else by "wrist action". Strangely, people often say "wrist action" when they are referring to forearm movements. I'm taking what you said literally. ;)

#13 Gollum, Mar 12, 2012
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I must congratulate you! Self video and asking for critique. The mark of a person who truly wants to learn.

From the video, it looks like you are truly enthusiastic. Keep up the effort.:D

Do get somebody to feed shuttles. It would be easier. Since you have a back yard, how about dangling a shuttle on a piece of string at just the right height? It's not to practice power but to practice judgement of height of striking the shuttle and very importantly, getting your elbow straighter

15. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student

I know a friend who hits smashes registered at 250 km and had played with national players as well and i asked him about forearm rotation/pronation he did not have any idea about it. He then taught me how to smash efficiently and sharp(he is actually my coach now along with other state players training with him), it is very similar what coach lee was demonstrating is his videos. I think saw a video coach lee was demonstrating about forearm rotation when your under pressure, you'll see he uses no forearm movement at all only wrist and fingers to flick it at the back. Plus i read an article about lee chong wei's skill and he mentioned about having good wrist. It was on the Malaysian newspaper called "The Star"

#15 Zackster, Mar 12, 2012
  16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Several issues here:

Top players often have little idea how they perform so well. Many times when I've asked a straightforward technique question of a world-class player, the answer has been, "I don't know. I just do it."

You can of course get some great insights from top players, but you need to be aware that what they say often does not match what they do -- just like any other player!

Even an international coach such as Lee Jae Bok is not the mouth of God (neither am I for that matter!). ;) Lee in particular puts an unusually heavy emphasis on shorter hitting actions, and using the fingers. In some cases I think this is very helpful, and in other cases I think it can be detrimental. He tends to exaggerate for emphasis; that's part of what makes him so charismatic.

Wrist movements do play an important part in some shots or situations, and less so in others. Not every situation is the same. The larger wrist movements tend to help more in terms of directing the shuttle, rather than generating a lot of power.

The same language is often used in very different ways by different people. Some players or coaches are more precise than others. "Using the wrist" can mean very different things in reality, depending on who says it: are they being idiomatic, or precise? And that's before you even start thinking about translations from a non-native speaker...

17. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Agree w/ gollum. There is EXACT how-to but there are many videos n help online so look around n try what is best for you (different people also have different styles of playing n strokes).

Some people are 'gifted' in badminton n they just play very well w/o any formal training. I heard that Tjun Tjun, All England Men's doubles champion for 6 years almost consecutively started to play badminton when he was only 15 and achieved national status in less than 2 years. He started out as a single player (was an All-England Men's single finalist once, if i remember correctly) but concentrated more in doubles and was the KING of men's doubles for almost a decade in the 70's