How to train stroke consistency?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by icecoldcoke, Mar 11, 2012.

1. icecoldcoke

icecoldcoke Regular Member

I realized that stroke consistency (not sure if using the correct term) is quite important in badminton. That is, hitting the ball consistently with the correct technique and speed. I found out that I sometimes cant hit the ball properly.. Recently I went from tension 25 to 27. I used it quite comfortably but if I hit the ball with improper technique, there is less power and hard to use it. So can anybody suggest a way to train stroke consistency?:(

2. icecoldcoke

Is there such thing as delete thread? I suddenly think that this question is not clear enough..

3. LiningBOY97

LiningBOY97 Regular Member

Shuttler
    After reading this, i think you lack of speed in terms of hitting the ball consistently with the correct technique and speed. Try to hit the shuttle early.Do speed training yeah :)

4. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    String tension has nothing to with quality shot and consistent strokes , getting the feeling of each shot with your hand which includes fingers and wrist is what makes quality stroke production.

5. phili

phili Regular Member

The key to consistency is either talent or practice the shots very often. If you practice you should focus just on this stroke and no big footwork training during this exercise.

6. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

for a second i thought this was about tennis LOL

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Higher string tensions will require more precise hitting, because the effective hitting area of the racket (the "sweet spot") is reduced. A high string tension is less "forgiving" of off-centre hits.

If you are frequently mis-hitting the shuttle, then 27 lbs is probably much too high for you. Try a lower tension such as 23 lbs.

Accuracy comes from experience and practice.

8. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

To hit w/ good consistency u always have to hit on the sweetspot.
    U can also 'enlarge' the sweetspot by reducing tension on the strings.
    To hit on small sweetspots CONSISTENTLY u need good eyesight, good timing n good reflexes. Most probably some training is necessary. :)

You will need a good willing partner or coach to feed u the shuttlecocks n practice yr shots. Do drills everytime u get on the courts.

Actually, it is CONSISTENCY in shots that makes the difference between the competitive n non-competitive players in badminton. ;)

#8 sautom88, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    In my opinion stroke consistency comes from 1) good technique taught properly 2) good footwork to enable the stroke play to be replicated in a game situation from the training exercises 3) time. You can't become consistent overnight. I was very inconsistent for a long time and over time and with experience you become more consistent. It can be sped up by quantity, but it still takes time.

10. icecoldcoke

I think I have the correct technique but I sometimes able to swing fast, sometimes not.