How do you prepare for a match during the knock up stage?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by diverdan, Mar 12, 2012.

1. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Just wondering how people knock up before a match. This is for all types of play. That is mixed, level and singles. Do you have a routine? I tend to start with clears going into drops and recovering drops with a lift to the rear then start mixing in smashes returned with a net or drive then mid court drives leading into net play and finishing off with serving and serve return.

2. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

I like to knock it as far back as i can to get my self really warmed up, sometimes the only way I can play good is it get really tired, I know that may sound weird but maybe thats why I always lose my first few games then start winning because im more tired/out of breath.

If its a new opponent i like to hit it too his backhand to see how good it is, maybe smash it a few times to get really warmed up

But thats just me

3. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I won't depend on the knock up to warm up. During knock up, the focus is to get the feel of each shot, and timing etc, and maybe spy on opponents a bit. For Singles, more drops, clear, lift, net. For Doubles, add drives, net tap-down/defense, smashes, and maybe do less clears.

4. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

During the warm-up stage just do a regular warm up, also get familiar w/ the court condition, lighting...etc. Most importantly is mental preparation, if u know your opponents games (you've observed or even played against them before). What kind of games or shots he/she doesn't like or have difficulties w/?

5. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    If you already know your opponents' games, then you'd have a game plan against them BEFORE the knock up.

If you don't already know your opponents games, how do/can you find out DURING the knock up?

6. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Usually when I get ready for a Singles games, I play a few clears, while doing that I get used to the court and environment of the court, after that I play a few backhand clears. After that I play drops and a few smashes trying not to get worn out, and that on my backhand. Then play net shots then start a game.

When I play warm-up before a doubles game, I practice clears, then smashes and drop shots, then drives, after that I get my partner to hit net kills at my feet and defend his/her shots and then play net shots.

7. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

I play singles in D so it's a true jungle out there. some can't play a decent backhand, some beling in B but never bothered to play tournaments. I generally clear it far/hard back to get warmed up with some drops and smashes mixedin. I generally tend to take everything overhead or drop it. The first points I make with a backhand smash because they suspected it to be weak are pricless :p.

during doubles its just a mix of everything just to get warmed up and used to the hall. Your partner is on the other side anyway so no need for fancy scanning and probing.