Chandra & Sigit will 'divorce'

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by jkusmanto, Aug 1, 2003.

1. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    This is the lastest news from PBSI.

Chandra will play with Halim in Singapore Open and Indonesia Open.
    Meanwhile Sigit has no partner yet.

According to one of PBSI directors, the reason is because PBSI has a short of double player. So PBSI trys to break Chandra-Sigit to make a new pairs.
    The director also said that Chandra has a very good result when he played with Tony and also very good with Sigit. So Chandra can also play his best with Halim.
    For Sigit, they try to look for another player.

What a news. :eek:

2. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

How old are these 3 players?
    Why split Chandra-Sigit?
    Wny pair Sigit with the youngster instead of Halim?:confused:

3. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    I just red the news from to day Kompas daily.

But in Indonesian.

Here is the news

I will look for the English one.

4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Both Chandra and Sigit are 28. Look at the WC. Only Chandra/Sigit and Sony are left in the quarterfinal. I think they start worrying about the next TC.

5. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

Seems like they are giving up the bird in hand for the 2 in the bush.:confused:

6. yowkee

yowkee Regular Member

It doesn't sounds like a valid point to split them. Chandra is a very talented double player (as Kim of Korea). The other talented indon player is Tony. They could partner others (Chandra/Sigit, Tony/Halim) to form very strong pair, and IMO, Chandra/Tony is the strongest MD pair.

But Tony choose to retire and leave. PBSI had no choice but keep trying to form 2 competitive double pair. But it isn't sound good to split Chandra/Sigit, Chandra could still play very well with others like Halim, but not Sigit.

Men's double world is in transition now. Kim/Ha, Lee/Yoo and Chandra/Sigit are aging. But the younger pairs didn't catch up yet. May be Chinese youngers would be the next to rule MD?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Why can't Trikus play more men's doubles?

8. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Is Sigit in or out in for Indo open?

That's so sad to see such a great team has to be set apart because of lack of players. I'm really hoping that Sigit will get a good partner, because otherwise he's in danger of not being able to participate in Indo open since the deadline for registration is July 31st!

Anyone knows whether Sigit has got any partner? Or is he out of the competition because of no partner?

9. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

This appears more like a political move within PBSI.
    While Chandra is the most skillful of the trio, both Sigit and Halim are equally good. I would term this as a sacrifice of Sigit for Halim.
    The coach would rather to let Sigit without a partner than Halim.

10. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    That IMHO is gay, sigit is the most electrifying player and most entertaining player to watch in the circuit...leaving him without a partner is unfair:mad:

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are actually some history to it. be your own judge whether it is fair or not after you've learned all the history.

Candra/Sigit was a pair back long time, in fact, they were the 1997 World Champions. at that time, i think Tony Gunawan was Halim's partner.

however, after the 1997 WC. Sigit was banned for drug for i think two years. as a result, the Indonesian coaches put Candra and Tony together and Halim was left without a partner for the duration of the ban, and i think it was around 2 yrs.

after Sigit finished serving his ban, Halim was partnering with Sigit, however, there are some fundamental imcompatibilities in their style so Sigit and Halim never got very far in tournaments.

after Tony/Candra won the Olympics, Candra / Sigit decided that they want to play together because they are good friends. so Halim then had no choice but to play with Tony. and it turned out that they are a great pair and have won the AE as well.

then the unthinkable happens, Tony decided to retire and play for the US. Halim once again is left without a partner. so we are now seeing him playing with Trikus. but Trikus' main game is mixed and while they had some results, they haven't been exactly great. i actually haven't see Halim's name for a while, i wonder if he is still active or just hanging around doing nothing.

so poor Halim, he is always the one who is left without a partner. perhaps this move by PBSI is to make up for those...

12. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    News translation

Hi guys, I tried to translate the news into English. I hope it helps.

Candra Will Play with Halim

Batam, Kompas - Sigit Budiarto is not registered as Candra Wijaya’s partner in two upcoming badminton tournaments: Singapore Open and Indonesia Open, which will be commenced in August 18. In these two tournaments Candra has been listed to partner with Halim Haryanto, while Sigit’s partner has not yet been decided.

The vice president of PBSI (Indonesian Badminton Association), Indra Kartasasmita, commented that the split of Candra dan Sigit, who won in this year’s All England, is to make a trial on having a new men’s double formation. "Halim (since Tony retired from the Indonesian national team in the end of 2001) has never had a stable partner, so we need to give a chance to him. Meanwhile, Candra had had a good record when he was partnered to Tony Gunawan and to Sigit. So, we’d like to see how will it go if Candra and Halim are partnered,” justified Indra, Saturday (31/7).

The limited number of men double players in PBSI (only five of them) has led to reformation, which often brings victims, and now Sigit is. Without a partner, Sigit is in danger of not being able to participate in Sanyo Indonesia Open, which will be conducted in Batam Island, 26-31 August, after the Singapore Open (18-24 August).

“If in 5 days Sigit still has no partner, it means that he’s not going to play in Indonesia Open since players’ names must be registered to IBF by Thursday, August 31," said the Chairman of Sanyo Indonesia Open, along with Chris Triwinasis, the Public Relations Director of Indonesia Open, in a pers conference located in Batam.

13. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Sayakeren or kamukeren ;)
    Thanks and terima kasih

14. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Makasih kembali, jkusmanto. I just thought that it's gonna be more fun for all of us to discuss the news from the same understanding of the issue :).

From the news, Kwun's right. I think PBSI pities Halim for not playing in such a long time while he's actually in the top board of Indonesian team.

15. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Absolute, Sayakeren.
    I have looked for the news in English, but unfortunately I couldn't find it.

I think the decision of PBSI is not goed for Sigit. Especially if Sigit (with Chandera) win the world title.

I am wondering, why PBSI not try to pair Halim with Trikus, like in TC.:confused:

16. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    actually i knew about all the history of sigit/candra and tony/halim switching partners and all but i never knew they were FORCED to played with different players, i thought they CHOSE to play with whom ever they wanted, but i know, and yes indeed it is very unfair for halim but spliting candra/sigit up at this stage of their careers seem kinda weird cause they are both quite old and probably wont play much longer, this WC might be the last time we see them together:mad:

17. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Well, let's see then. I supposed that Sigit still has a chance to play with Chandra again if Chandra/Halim doesn't make a better match than Chandra/Sigit. I'm just wondering whether PBSI has got another partner for Sigit.....

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    we are in the Olympic qualifying period. i think it is quite risky for PBSI to be playing musical chairs with the players. so what happens if after the Sing/Malay/Indo open that Candra/Halim is a complete disaster?

19. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    I also can't understand why PBSI decided to do so. IMHO, Halim was doing quite well with Tri Kush in the past, although not a bombastic one. I presume they can do better than that if they are being given more time.

Kwun, answering your question whether Halim is still around, yes he is. His last participation was in Korea Open. Ever since he was separated from Tri Kush, he was partnered to Yulianto Alven in Korea and Japan Open, but the result were poor. Maybe that's why PBSI tried another luck by partnering Alven with Luluk in WC, while leaving Halim unpartnered (again).

IMO, Candra/Sigit shouldn't be separated since they are in their top position currently. While for Halim, I hope he can get another good partner soon so that he doesn't have to 'steal' Candra from Sigit. Otherwise, I'd love to see Halim and Tri Kush to play together again.

20. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I thought Sigit really struggled in the mens semi for the first half of the match, if the chinese pair hadn't froze a bit and made many errors at a game and 8-2 up they would have won. As usual Sigit had his arm heavily taped and seemed to only play hard in bursts when he needed to, so perhaps he is not looking to play long term???