Men's Doubles Partner for coming small tournament

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by sia0_kia, Mar 14, 2012.

1. sia0_kia

sia0_kia New Member

Hi,

Guys any suggestion on choosing partner for my coming tournament? It is a non-state/national closed tournament held in school and currently, i got 2 friend to choose between.

1 is my previous tournament partner (called it A), who's:
    • playing standard same with me
    • know usually how to cover my weak location (backhand corner)
    • smash really well, very explosive
    • great footwork and stroke
    • knowing attacking is the advantage and take the chance to attack if available
    another is my usual playing friend, the one who teach me basic stroke (and i assume he is my teacher/tutor sometime, called it B), who's:
    • higher standard than me (lots higher)
    • excellent footwork and stroke
    • can actually cover whole court while i'm just setting shuttle for him to control opponent
    • AFRAID of JOINING TOURNAMENT (last year, he joined a open-category mixed double with a girl, and he was totally not himself when playing, and even got a 21-4 on 2nd match)
    • attitude more toward on playing opponent rather than taking the attacking advantage (sometime he won't perform a net kill even though there is a chance, and he just play another stroke. I know he could have attack to finish rally)
    I'm wondering around these 2 friends, and the due date for registration is coming soon and yet i haven't decide.. As what am I thinking, partner with A, i scared of meeting strong opponent and we are unable to win, even though he got a good smash, but he seldom play and lack of experience. For example, he play like 2-3 times a month and seldom play at higher standard level.

But partner with B, i won't worry about experience problem since B play often and play at higher standard level. But I'm afraid he is unable to perform during tournament. I'm afraid again like last year, he is totally lost himself (lost confidence). I explained to him this is a closed categories already.

And lastly, last time, i partner A, to play against a higher standard player, we've lost to them with 2:1; but with B, we've won incredibly easy 2:0 straight, due to B's skill. This also one of the factor make me wondering...

Hope any pro's here guide and advice, thanks :)

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

if it's a tournament you play for fun:
    play with whoever you like more (as a friend) and have fun.
    if it's important for you as a competition, choose the stronger palyer, this seems to be B.