Pulled something in my wrist.

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by ioxyg3n520, Mar 16, 2012.

1. ioxyg3n520

ioxyg3n520 Regular Member

Hi. About 8 weeks ago, I was playing badminton and during a smash, I felt something pull or snap at my wrist on my right hand. Since then, it has been hurting when I twist my wrist in different angles and now it still hurts. When I hold something heavy, it doesn't hurt, but when I use strength in different angles, for example picking up a faced down plate placing the thumb on bottom of plate and the other fingers on top, or performing a drive or backhand in badminton. It hurts near the big bone on the wrist.

What could be wrong? Thanks.

2. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

it may be a over used wrist, with the stabilizers completely worn. i had that feeling last week so i tried not to use my right hand so much and after 2 days it regained its strength.

i alos use a foam-like wrap on my wrist now to give it some support while playing, my at700 is bloody heavy so im still adjusting to it

3. ioxyg3n520

Is it like at certain angles you can't exert much power because it hurts, but if something heavy is just hanging your hand like when you're holding a heavy bag or something, it doesn't hurt?

4. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

exactly..usually at the gym gripping a heavy weight my hand would be fine but snapping for a backhand drive would bring a sharp pain

5. visor

visor Regular Member

You're gonna have to be more specific than "the big bone of the wrist" as to the location of the pain, if you want a better and more specific answer. Google a pic of the wrist and show us where the pain is in that pic.

But I'm putting my money on Dequervains tenosynovitis. ;)

[​IMG]

#5 visor, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Is he gonna die? :D (sorry, not funny). If anything he should get the opinion of a doc.

Wait a sec...

7. visor

visor Regular Member

;)...................

8. ioxyg3n520

Yea that is kind of what is happening to me. Like for example, if you stretch your hand out, face your palm up, and try to push your palm/fingers towards your body (downwards not upwards) it hurts!!!

9. ioxyg3n520

It is on the side the opposite of what your picture shows, the pinky finger's side.

10. Xaujin

Xaujin Regular Member

Hey there! I had a very similar problem when I over twisted my wrist when smashing and sprained my wrist. After roughly two weeks or small exercise and no badminton..it healed pretty good. If it hurts quite a bit, definately go get it check up by a professional.

Hope it heals quick!

11. todjo

todjo Regular Member

self employed
    Seems like we have the same problem. Last week, I went to a traditional chinese therapist. He said my two big arm bone is spreading apart. Then, he wrapped my arm (just below the wrist) w/ bandage & told me to leave it that way for a week.
    It supposed to maintain the 2 bones steady, not moving apart while we do normal activity ( such as opening doors, turning steering wheel, etc. ) using our wrist. Hope this can help.

12. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

mmk well like i said i rested mine and it heraled in 2 days or so no big deal.
    be aware of your wrist and its condition cuz its easy during play to keep going with the adrenaline of the game but then we pay for it afterwards.

13. ioxyg3n520

Hi. Do anyone know if there is a good specific kind of wrist support I can wear while playing badminton? And will this decrease my playing availability?

Thanks.

14. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    There are 2 main types of wrist support (elastic and velcro). Velcro gives a better fit. The glove type seems too restrictive.

I personally strap it close to the hand to restrict pronation. You can put it lower so as to not affect play.

15. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

You are risking injuring yourself, get a head-lighter racket.

16. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Also, what does these so-called wrist supports do? The muscles that need to be supported are all INSIDE yr wrist! I believe in supports for disabled/wounded joints but to support joints/muscles that are to be used for strong movements/activities? I am sorry guys even I am not a doctor or scientist my common sense tells me that it is IMPOSSIBLE.

17. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    sautom, the type that binds the bottom of the hand restricts pronation, ie good for people who have a little pain when the hand is bent back to its extremes.

the type that binds the wrist are normally FIR.

personally if I dont use the wrist support I get wrist pains when I first start a session, pain goes away after 1-2 games.

18. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Sorry, my mistake then. But shouldn't they call them "wrist guard" instead of wrist supports?

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  20. zhong87

zhong87 Regular Member

Students
    so how your wrist right now? i hurt my wrist exactly like yours 3 weeks ago.. and I thought it was a small deal so i kept playing until i couldn't do back hand drive or clear..

for the last two week i still played badminton once a week and try to play gently.. and yet it still feel pain at some angle, especially back hand clear or back hand lift..

I'm just wondering how long it took you to heal completely?

#20 zhong87, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012