what kind of bad sportsmanship are you guilty of?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by thumpsky, Mar 17, 2012.

1. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I'm an emotional player. I sometimes mutter swear words under my breath. Never directed at anyone, usually talking about my own shot.

I also scream "IN!!!" when my shot is going to go out :):) lol

you guys???

2. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    When I play against someone I'm far better than, I let them grab some points before beating them. I feel guilty giving them false hope haha

3. vixter

vixter Regular Member

I don't think muttering swear words qualify as bad sportsmanship. The "IN!!!-scream" and the "false hope" are good one though hehe...One thing I think qualifies as bad sportsmanship is when opponents have an unwillingness to declare that my/our shuttle has landed in, and play the "oh sorry I didn't see or hmmmm oh that was really close lets play a let"-card. Of course it can happen now and then but it shouldn't happen many times a set.

4. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    Does licking count?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

the bird before you serve?! :eek:

6. visor

visor Regular Member

for me, i'm an emotional player too, and i have a bad habit of shouting (to motivate myself) sometimes when we're midcourt or close to the net right after the opponent hits a shot that is hard for me to get... but sometimes i think i unintentionally shout out as he hits or even just a tad before, and i know that can be a distraction to him... but i don't do it on purpose! ... it's just the heat of the moment... :p

7. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I have a bad habit of swinging around my racket after losing points from making mistakes (esp when doing smash and it hits the net)

my friend is even worse, he always shout to distract me, if it's out, he always shout, hit it! (I never fall for this thing though)
    when he is doing a shot, he also shout, trying to make it looks like a smash and then he did a drop shot
    it's really annoying

the worst out of all, he did slice serve every now and then even after I said it's not legal

8. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I am just hoping you do not shout as loud as WSX, pal.. :p :D

9. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

My worst habit is to always forget, unintentionally of course ;), to return the shuttle when it's fallen on my side of the court. I mean, I know that I should be doing it and I do it when I think about it but a lot of times, after a point is done, I simply turn back and walk towards the rear court as if automatically in a trance. I do it irrespective of whether I've won that point or lost it. Sometimes I remember and I turn back again mid way and give back the shuttle! My friends in the club do know though, that I don't do it on purpose and they don't mind... thankfully!!!:)

10. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Not really bad sportsmanship but sometimes when I miff a shot into the net I toss my racket in the air (a couple of feet) in digust of my poor play. And sometimes I would say mutter to myself "Come On"...to motivate me to do better.

11. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    i find it hilarious when you have people who essentially tell themselves off for every bad shot.

i once played a guy who gave himself a lecture, saying he was a stupid moron every time he made a mistake lol

i think we've all been there

[video=youtube;mcxPgLIWewk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcxPgLIWewk[/video]

12. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

cant think of any..now..

13. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

mostly just yelling at myself come one!...nice shot genius!....
    its probably funny to my opponents to hear the genius line

14. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

I sometime forget to shake hands with my opponents after the games. When I get tired, I tried to get someone to take my place, but forget to shake hands.

15. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

Then you'll laugh your ass off when you see me play. I am VERY hard on myself and even for errors that are not my responsibility or fault I swear at myself.

The difference with my beginning years: I don't beat the living cr*p out of my racket anymore when a few bad points fly by.

People at my club know my history and some of them are not convinced that even when I swear, I am at peace with my inner self. Next point next opportunity. Them saying "calm down" sometimes pisses me off more than a fault.

16. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I actually don't consider this bad sportsmanship. I consider it cheating.

As for sportsmanship, I'm bad for winding people up. For example, if I saw a guy like you yelling at himself for a bad shot I'd be saying to you, "Yeah you should yell at yourself that was a pretty stupid thing you did. You should have..... ".

Also if I feel my opponent is taking to long to serve I'll put my hand up just as he is about to finally hit the shuttle.

#16 thunder.tw, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

if he knows the rules well, he'll just say that is illegal delay of play, since you indicated by your ready stance that you were already ready to receive :rolleyes:

18. thunder.tw

Indeed, however posing ready for serve for 15+ seconds is excessive.

I'm not sure what the rule is concerning length of time needed to serve if one exists. However, if I wanted to haul out the rule book at my club, I'd pretty much win games on service faults alone.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ 15 secs?! that's a bit much... maybe he's intimidated by your aggresive receiving stance! :)

if someone were to do that to me, i'd just do the same back to them and even longer ... :p

20. thunder.tw

Well, I figured I would just mess with him. Really, my goal was just to send a subtle message that his serves were taking too long. I don't think it was my aggressive stance, he was doing it to everyone. He was just trying to stress people in their ready position for as long as possible.