User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the pan handle grip was correct? what grip is it then? when i went on a video on how to smash, the guy showed me the grip and said its called the pan handle grip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    the grip is wrong.

once that is wrong, nothing else matters. as your grip is wrong, the angle of your forearm is wrong, once the forearm is wrong, the shoulder is wrong, the body is wrong, the feet are wrong.

it will be hard and take determination to change the grip (and the rest that goes with it), but there isn't much to talk about without it.
    i share the same thinking as u..

unfortunately.. jason doesnt want to learn from someone who knows.... n rather wants to learn online n from youtube.....

nothing much to talk about...

good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason123 View Post
    I thought the pan handle grip was correct? what grip is it then? when i went on a video on how to smash, the guy showed me the grip and said its called the pan handle grip
    Link this video to us. Even if it is so, I highly doubt it is a reputable person who made the video. The video someone posted earlier which showed Fu Haifeng giving advice on how to smash is the #1 smasher in men's doubles right now and he is #1 in the world. I would think that his advice would hold some weight.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm curious as well. Please link the youtube video

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In your video, 0:33 is pan handle grip.0:40 is hand-shake grip. You can actually learn from video, but it require hell lot of discipline and self awareness. Proper coaching means there is one person who will tell and correct you, every stroke of yours.

If you want to train alone, you need a partner that has the correct technique to spot you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i learned everything i know from video =)
    but then again, i also learned a lot from watching higher level players from varsity
    my doubles partner trains in indonesia so i guess i got a good setup
    we're adequate to compete at the university varsity level

back on topic:
    vids or it didn't happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by a|extan View Post
    unfortunately.. jason doesnt want to learn from someone who knows.... n rather wants to learn online n from youtube.....
    Shut up you fool, I never said that, I said that im never going to be able to get a coach and my only way to learn is online

Furthermore, how else are people going to help me? find videos on youtube to show me how to do it, Idiot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor kid tries his best, but still gets crucified.

Jason123, chin up and admire the courage to put a video of yourself. Some online resources for your reading (not specific to your smashing). Hope they help.

http://www.badmintonbible.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/thejym
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...7&feature=plcp
    http://www.youtube.com/user/coaching...&view=u&page=1

Justin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason, relax my man!

Basically by looking at the video the first thing I notice is footwork, which as kwun said will be determined by your grip as this is the what determines your movement essentially.

What you need to look at, if you learn from videos, is how the pros play overhead shots. Pan handle for overhead shots is just plain wrong. Whatever you watched teaching you this was incorrect, anybody can make a video on youtube and say whatever they want, that doesn't make them correct.

It will of course, mess up your game in the short term changing grip and footwork as it'll be totally new to you. But your game won't really improve much using the technique you currently use. Once you get used to the 'correct' way of hitting overhead shots and moving then you'll become a much better player.

Forums can be pretty blunt, but you posted a video on the internet, then in a way were quite abrupt in your responses to others, so they will then respond the same way.

Just my 2p.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason, I felt I was in the same boat as you a year or so ago. Let me tell you, YouTube can definitely take you to a certain level. In terms of technique, if you want to learn different grips, watch multiple videos about grip. If you want to learn about smash, watch multiple videos about smashing. If you want to learn about footwork, watch MULTIPLE videos about footwork. This allows you to draw on what the most important aspects of the video if they are repeated and reinforced in your head.

Some people are in a situation where they are unable to receive coaching, I was in that situation. Thankfully I don't have to pay to make the university team. One thing I will say looking back is if you want to get better, you need to have a passion for badminton which you seem to have by posting your video. You need to want to get better which is what you have shown by posting this video. You also have to be open in making changes to your own game and by taking comments by others. I did think the posters commenting that you need a coach and not helping your cause at all was unfortunate. Coaches definitely guide you along a path but in the end, you, the player is the one that gets there.

Definitely take a look at Aurora's post because that is a start. The video was definitely a good start because it allows you to watch yourself to make changes. You must know what you want to change though. It seemed like you were in disagreement with some of the changes like pan-handle grip and maybe footwork, but they were changes that should be made.

Lee Jae Bok's video about smashing
    - Pay special attention to the elbow at high contact.
    - Realize that his body is actually facing the side of the court, not the facing the court when he smashes, like in your video
    - The only thing about the video that I am unsure about is his grip. It seems to be a pan-handle grip. Check the third video I post, by thejym, he talks about the grip. Don't be afraid to rewatch the videos over, I probably watched them over 15 times to understand them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYmijskCBps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfxSp2c6jpU

Grip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched Badminton Training by Zhao Jianhua, and he says there is no correct grip for badminton smash, he says use what ever is comfortable, which does make sense.

I think im going to go with this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv5imPdrqf8

M
    akes the most sense

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yup. That's a good video to use. At the beginning, he shows a panhandle used for front court play. For the smash, he does say use panhandle but it's a very slight panhandle which he is very careful to demonstrate.

Comparing your smash to his demo, I would say that your grip, at present, is too much panhandle. Try experimenting to reduce your panhandle to being very slight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me spot a few. You're suppose to be reaching for the shuttle since smashes are suppose to create a steep angle. Try extending your arm more. Another thing is your grip, it isn't correct. You seem to be using a panhandled grip. The third one which is caused by your grip is the absence of supination and pronation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Timz :] View Post
    You're suppose to be reaching for the shuttle since smashes are suppose to create a steep angle. Another thing is your grip, it isn't correct. You seem to be using a panhandled grip. The third one which is caused by your grip is the absence of supination and pronation.
    Do you know what you are talking about? my smashes were very steep they went just over the net

and the pan handle grip is correct

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&...t:429,r:12,s:0

I
    s it ment to look like this everyone?
    Last edited by Jason123; 03-20-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know what you are talking about? my smashes were very steep they went just over the net

I
    You contacted the shuttle very near almost head height which is wrong since the shuttle will land too far from the service line maybe even going LONG at times, am I right? And for the last time PAN HANDLE grip is not the correct grip for a powerful smash. If you have been basing it from LeeJae Bok then sorry to break it to you but it is obsolete and not ideal. The only acceptable time to use that grip is for net kills and deep backhand shots from the rearcourt.

One sign you could take note of is if you tend to break the feathers of the shuttle(supposedly durable ones) easily when smashing, or is there always a time when you smash and then it goes straight down to the floor even before reaching the net, clearly a result of a poor gripping technique.

Does your wrist hurt after playing? also another sign.
    Last edited by Timz :]; 03-20-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I
    Watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYmijskCBps

Lee Jae Bok talks specifically about how the grip should not be pan-handle but slightly angled from the conventional V-Shape grip (not sure the exact name). The other video by TheJym should help a lot too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast