Voltric 80 for beginner

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by subzero1856, Mar 19, 2012.

1. subzero1856

subzero1856 Regular Member

Is voltric 80 suitable for beginners??

2. ioxyg3n520

ioxyg3n520 Regular Member

The voltric 80 is very head heavy. I think beginners should look for rackets that is a bit less head heavy and more flexible. But I guess no one says a beginner can't start off with a very head heavy racket if they choose to, if you have enough power to handle it, it does produce heavy smashes :D

3. subzero1856

How about for a average player who has been playing for a few years

4. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

I think the head heaviness helps to generate decent power, the swing speed is very arm-friendly and the sweet spot is quite big. Additionally some weight in the head helps you to get a better touch on the net and is good while learning techniques, thus makes the Voltric 80 to a good racket even for advanced beginners and higher.

Maybe some weak build players won't be a good match due to the weight and weak wrist, but how do you wanna get better without putting any strain one oneself?

5. subzero1856

What would u count as advanced beginner

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Can clear full court? (backline to backline)

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    This is a very important point to be asked. Even, some recreational players who has been playing for few years can't clear full court back to back...

It might be that the string tension is too high for them, however some of them did not have a correct technique.

8. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

Basically yes. Clearing from back to back somehow indicates basic hitting skill and power... I think that you suppose to have some basic muscle to be able to practice with a head heavy racket like the Voltric.

Maybe my English is fooling me, but I think intimidate isn't the right term since I really wanted to say "better beginners"

9. amirx2

amirx2 Regular Member

Chemist
    Theoretically, VT80 isn't for beginners. But practically, practice makes perfect. :)

10. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Yep.
    But imho, it's more difficult to practice with such a head heavy racket. Better get an even balanced to practice.
    Better get a VT80 when practiced a lot.

11. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    If VT80 will make you motivated.. then why not, just spend enough time training

12. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

beginners should ideally get a lighter head balance racket to practice control and more flex for slight boost in power. actually i have many friends who still use flexible rackets just so that they can relax a little when they play :p

13. chris0612

chris0612 Regular Member

student
    i think if u want to be more expert than now. u should get racket what u want.. and training so hard until u can tame the racket and of course ur skill will raising up.. if u buy something u dont like, how can u play with fullheart..

14. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

There are a lot of other rackets he could like.
    When VT80 was released, it was THE flagship of Yonex. I liked it too, but with a little bit use of brain, I accepted the fact that the racket was not suitable to me at this moment and level (beginner).

It rather slow down your learning process if you're going for something that doesn't suit you. Motivation by a racket only stays for the first two / three weeks maybe. The motivation should come from yourself and not from the fact which racket you have.
    It's necessary to have a racket you like (also the racket its looks). But to force yourself to get used to something you can't actually is very contra productive.
    Especially your motivation would go down, if you've noticed that the racket is really not that suitable to you. You maybe have to buy another racket if it doesn't fit.

Just my opinion :)

P.S. There's no too late to get a VT80. If you learn a lot in 6 - 12 months, you'll be ready for a VT80.

15. Rivai Zhukov

Rivai Zhukov Regular Member

Student
    I think Voltric 80 quite demanding for beginner.
    It take a lot of power and technique to yield this racket optimally.
    VT80 is a wonderful racket but it takes time to used to it.
    Now,I'm pretty much satisfied because it increased my level of gameplay.

I recommend you an all round balance racket to play with.
    After you found your playing style and develop a better skill,
    you could find another racket to fulfill your style.
    (Smash/Offensive Clear = Head Heavy racket,Netting/Deception = All Round/Head Light racket)
    This could be subjective,so your call. . .

16. Aurora_

Aurora_ Regular Member

I think many people has the wrong perception, that a head heavy racket would help you to train your arm, which I strongly disagree.

I remember back in my early badminton years, I used a headlight racket with low tension. Headlight racket generate less power, and I was playing with it for few years before it gave up on me.

So I changed from headlight to balance, and now head heavy. With every upgrade, it took a while to adapt. But after that, the power stroke come it play and I use much less effort in every stroke.

VT80 was power beast. When I first started (mine was a 3U version), my stroke easily went out of baseline especially drive. Contrary, my friend find it difficult to use. Their strokes were less effective (but then could be my string tension). Anyway, you get my point. If you like to try, get the 4U version. Or VT60/70, which I read review somewhere saying it was user friendly.

17. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

4U won't matter its head heaviness. Just avoid VT80 as beginner. No matter 3U or 4U.
    There are a lot other beautiful and good rackets around.

18. stickyjacky

stickyjacky Regular Member

Service Advisor
    Hi, this is my first time posting and I just want to share my 2 cents.

I love play badminton and i used to play five times a week when I was 15 to 18 years old. About two months ago I decided to play badminton again and joined @ different badminton clubs and play about 4 times a week. I was using nanospeed 800 with bg 65 at 22 lbs - smashes and clears are horrible. Some players at the club told me it was my racket and string tension are holding me back. So, I did some research and found out about Voltric 80 is one of the best racket! I bought one! Man, sure it makes a big difference for me. Powerful smash and clear is much better now. I am thinking about buying one more as a spare. I am totally in love with it. Voltric 80 all the way!! or Voltric Z force!!

19. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    You just have to try VT Z Force out... VTZF is quicker than VT80, given smaller head frame & thinner shaft..

20. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

And massive head heaviness...

Just remember, this thread belongs to a beginner:rolleyes:

Yesterday I had a session again, with Voltric80. It is sooo UNmaneuverable. It really needs proper technique. It needs strong wrist to handle this head heaviness in fast games. Especially in doubles...
    I still don't understand why people recommend VT80 for beginners.

No doubt it's a superb racket if you're an advanced player and if you can handle it.