Victor Brave Sword LYD vs Brave Sword 12 (specs not right?)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Shoutsu, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

I've checked around the forums and I don't see any comparisons between these two racquets yet... so I figured I'd ask to confirm my suspicions.

I have both the LYD and BS12, and the stats on the racquets say that the LYD is a 2 in Head Heaviness (HH), and the BS12 is a 3, being more Head Light (HL) with 1 being the most HH and 5 being the most HL.

I'm confused because the feeling of the LYD feels more HL than the BS12 which is supposedly more HL than the LYD. I did a racquet comparison with the Yonex ArcSaber 10 PG and in terms of Head Heaviness, the BS12 felt much more similar to the AS10PG. In fact, the LYD felt lighter than the AS10PG as well!

This, of course, makes me confused. Are the racquet specs wrong? Or am I the one completely out of whack? Or perhaps one of them is different (fake/made elsewhere)?

I noticed the racquet coding on both racquets are different. One of them starts with CAA and the other starts with CAL. I've bought both technically from Canada, however, the CAL racquet was acquired by my friend with good contacts Brand New.

If it helps, here's the stats on the BS 12: http://www.victorsport.com/product_data.php?id=nFK3m0E5pYvdsbSgudjxAPmDaoXu

and here's the stats on the LYD: http://www.victorsport.com/product_data.php?id=4PZsocPr95OC8wtp7Z0Jk2nk2TQDA

Oh, and before I forget... Both are 3U G2. So it's not cause one of them are 4U :)

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Maybe you should put them on an actual scale ;)

3. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

Yup, why not find their bp and tell us :)

About the racket codes - I believe the first two letters are the country code, like normal, but the third letter designates in which factory the racket was made.

4. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Hmm... unfortunately I don't know each racquets weight. Though they should be the same... my qualm is not with the weight of the racquet (though it could possibly be... and I suppose this is one factor to checkout as well!) but with the head heaviness of the racquet.

As we all know that all 3U racquets weight 85-89g. But HH racquets feel a lot heavier cause more of the weight is at the head.

5. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Ahh that helps too :)

Good to know at least both are Canadian racquets. As for the bp (balance point right?) good case in point. Never thought of that!

6. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

What is the bp of your BS LYD?
    Mine got a bp of 295mm (strung and 1x overgrip).
    I have to confirm that it doesn't feel that head heavy in the hand. But it is.

7. Porky

Porky Regular Member

It depends on how u grip both racquets as well....supposedly both uses same grip and layer, then by rite LYD should be HH

8. willsabeefcake

willsabeefcake Regular Member

trainee accountant
    I'd suggest that the bs12 is in actual fact more heavy overall, which would give the impression of being head heavy when initially swung. I think the BS-LYD is the lighter of the two, but with more weight in the head. I have played with both and I'd say that the BS-LYD is indeed more head heavy, along the same lines as the Kason C7 (both light-ish, head heavy rackets) The bs12 is a more balance to head light racket/

IMO!

9. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

Could you make a couple of comparisons between the C7 and BS-LYD:

-Which one feels stiffer?
    -Which one swings faster?

Thanks!

10. willsabeefcake

trainee accountant
    I'd say that they both feel pretty much the same! In terms of stiffness, weight & BP. I would say that the BS-LYD does swing faster, I've had about three 2 hour sessions paying with it now and I'm still adjusting to the swing speed (having only played with a bs09 before, a while ago...) Maybe the C7 feels a little stiffer but I wouldn't want to call it!

Both lovely rackets to play with, my favourite mix of a lightish racket with plenty of weight in the head!

11. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Dude, a 305 BP is NOT 'plenty of weight in the head. Get a VT80 or Carlton VTE with a BP of 315 and THAT'S 'plenty of weight in the head'.I'd be super surprised if the LYD isn't stiffer than the C7. I haven't played with the LYD, but I was getting my C7 restrung at the time I gave it the completely useless 'shop flex test', and it certainly felt stiffer than the C7.All of this of course makes me want to get a LYD....you know....just to 'test' it. :)

12. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

How did you test the flex? Bowing the head while holding the grip? Or put the racket on something and bow / bend it from both sides (head and grip)?

13. willsabeefcake

trainee accountant
    Ah sorry I meant in comparison to the weight. I did have the N90 but that completely ruined my shoulder! I have thought about a VT80 (why don't carlton do a smaller grip size!!!) in a 4u but then the BP is reduced isn't it? Plenty for me is what i should have said :) thanks for jumping so quickly on my outrageous outburst of lies lol

I did the "completely useless" test of bowing the head whilst holding the grip, I don't confess to be strong enough to get a very stiff racket to flex (JJS with the mx80 slow motion shot, HOW DOES HE DO IT!?) but whilst playing they do feel similar.

14. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

K. I'm wondering if the racket could get any damages if you're bowing the head area or the whole racket on both side...:eek:

15. willsabeefcake

trainee accountant
    I'm hoping not! the shaft is designed to be flexed, if you hold the head straight and flex from the handle no damage should be done.

16. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

17. 729927852

729927852 Regular Member

Woah I felt the same. I just recently bought both LYD and BS12 in Taiwan,

4U BS12 coded TWL with white BG-80 Power at 26lb and 3U LYD coded TWA with orange BG-80 at 27lb.

I also noticed that the bs12 is strangely heavier than it should be. I felt that the bs12 was the same weight if not heavier than the LYD when held at the bottom of the handle and the swing with the LYD felt stiffer yet lighter than the bs12.