Am I wrong or is the Stringer at fault?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by uselessmail, Mar 19, 2012.

1. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

Hi there!
    I've been having some terrible luck lately! Have managed to break the strings on three of my rackets all within this week :crying:. Just one of those times when you've really rotten luck, I guess! I did notice something odd though. For the past 6 months, whenever the strings have snapped, it has always happened at exactly the same spot on all the rackets! Whats interesting to note is that its around the same time that I've managed to find a new stringer here in my city who does the stringing quite cheap. The string he uses is always BG65. Initially the tension was 11 kg (24 lbs). This time I'd reduced the tension to 10.5 Kg (23 lbs) on all my rackets. Yet exactly the same thing happened.:confused:
    According to the stringer, it is actually my fault. He said that it happens when I mishit the shuttle at that spot (around 2' clock) position. I tend to agree with him actually and I do believe that it may be my fault after all. Do the experts here tend to agree??
    Photo0043.jpg

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    What's the playing time (ie. hrs) on the strings?
    Playing with feathers or plastics?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, u should know if you hit the shuttle there or not.

the top and bottom parts where there are no horizontal strings are weak points. if you hit there the strings will break. even the most durable strings will break there.

nothing that any stringers can do about it.

u should however, still inspect the grommet holes and make sure that the grommets are in good shape. they are are too worn they might cut into the string.

you should let your stringer know to replace them.

4. uselessmail

Play 3-4 times a week for about 2hrs each. I play here with Plastic shuttles. Yonex Mavis 350 Blue.

5. CanucksDynasty

As Kwun says...check the grommets.

You sound just like my friend. I swear every couple of weeks...he snaps his strings. I thought it was the stringer...but it was just him mis-hitting (cuz he went to other stringers and snaps strings relatively quick...regardless of string type and tension).

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

#1 Grommet. It is your responsibility to check the grommet. I usually check the grommets when I string, but it should be more player's responsibility to make sure the racquet is in good condition.
    #2 String scratch while pick up shuttle. Again your fault.
    #3 Miss hit, again, your fault.

7. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

Just wondering, shouldn't the stringer inspected the grommets quickly before stringing since most end users have no way to replace them?

8. uselessmail

Ok ok guys! I get it! I am at fault. Phew!!! Truth really is a bitter pill to digest!!:p
    Thanks a lot Kwun for giving me a possibility that it could be something else as well... (Although I did check the Grommets now and they seem fine! Hence: My fault!)

9. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    Looks like a mis hit, generally if it was a sharp grommet then the broken ends of the string would be closer to the same length. Having sad that, it wouldn't hurt to have them replaced every now and then, i'll often replace the ones that a string snapped on as a matter of course, regardless of how the string went.

Of course, it could be the stringer managed to damage the string in the same place on all your rackets...

10. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I'm going to say stringer fault on this one. From the looks of it, you could probably add another top cross to be more inline with other rackets out there for starters. Looking at the racket more, it probably is missing a cross at the top as it doesn't make any sense to put another shared grommet beside where he tied the cross starting knot unless it was engineered to be utilized. Ask your stringer to start crosses at A6 and then tie off at A5. I also can't be certain what this racket "should" look like, but it looks a little narrow. Is he adding 2lbs more on the cross?

#10 Optiblue, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I laugh only because I experienced the same thing today. I knew right away because I felt the mishit and the string broke in exactly the same place as yours.

The weird thing? Wait for it... I also broke strings the same way on 3 rackets over the last week.

Ooooooo... Twilight Zone.

12. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

wow... BG65 and you manage to snap! no easy to do that considering your relatively low tension!

should be the stringer problem! he supposed to check your grommet! if your grommet is okay then it must be his equipment!

Most racket string snapped on that spot therefore it is very common!

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i disagree.

the stringer strung the standard pattern.

unless if the customer request to deviate from the standard non-shared hole 76 holes pattern, the stringer has done his job and not be at fault.

[​IMG]

14. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    The pattern seems to be a copy of the standard string pattern, but the must have messed up the specs as that's a huge gap at the top. At any rate, to the OP, try and ask for another cross at the top, in your case it might help with your Misshits

15. silentheart

Man, Asshway must did a really half @$$ job coping the standard AT800 pattern. I feel the pattern is correct though.
    Yeah, you prob can get 2 strings in A6 and make another cross and tie off on A5. Yes, that will prob help to prevent breaking on miss hit. just don't do in on Yonex racquet please.

16. silentheart

OK, someone asked a friend of mine to get this racquet to me to string because
    1) I uses a more expensive machine.
    2) I do an OK job in my area.
    3) my price is a lot cheaper than the big sports chain.

When I got it, the racquet was patched 4 times before.

Please look at the grommets, I prob need to replace the entire grommet set.

Please look at the 2nd picture, I can tell you this, it is a fake Yonex. This racquet is prob worth about $25 brand new. I am pondering 2 options.
    a) replace the entire grommet set and charge $45 for the string job with BG65.
    b) charge $11 just to string it up with BG65 without replacing grommet and tell the user the truth and don't come back.

Please vote and express your thought.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and who says fakes are fragile?

incidentally, i saw someone with an Iso800 in the gym the other day. pristine condition. i was tempted to offer $ for it.

18. silentheart

In deed, this one is tough as nail. Survived 4 patches and all these high five with another racquets.

19. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Wow that's a tough call. Many of those grommets need replacing indeed. If I ever got a racket like that, I'd personally do them a favor and replace them all just for stringing pride, but it's definately your call!

20. CanucksDynasty

Option B. Guy is looking for a cheap string job. He doesn't care about his racket.