Rougher strings vs softer strings

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by yan.v, Mar 19, 2012.

1. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    This post could really belong to the Strings forums or here, but I chose to post here because it has to do with stringing a little bit.

First, I'll define what I mean by rougher vs softer, because I may not be using the eight words. Rougher strings would be strings that are a bit "sticky", which would mean that if you move a string on your string bed, the string would stay about where you left it due to friction. An example of such strings would be BG80, ZM62 and most APACS strings. Softer strings would be the total opposite, where if you move a string, it comes back right where it was, less friction. Examples: BG65, HQ 696, NBG95, etc.

Most of my stringing experience has been with BG65. It sells like hot cake here and everyone wants it because of its performance/durability. Due to this, most people are used to the way BG65 reacts to impacts and just goes back to where it was, thus the string bed remains mostly straight and intact. This lead to what I would call a common misconception where people think that since the strings move after hitting the shuttle hard enough, the string job was badly done. I also have to admit that I have thought the same thing for a long time, then I blamed it on strings being of low quality, but when I saw that even (authentic) BG80 reacted the same when I started stringing, I realized it was normal.

First, I'd like to know if it's normal ? Do you happen to have to place your (BG80, APACS, etc.) strings back in place after most rallies ?

Is there any way (stringing wise) to prevent this ? I would assume that strings move much less when stringing at 30lbs, but people here use much lower tensions (20-24 usually).

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Just a minor correction: I believe you mean rougher strings vs smoother strings.

I'm no stringer, but I'm a user of strings. :p. Mainly using VS850 which has a rougher texture, at 24lbs. When newly strung it would move around a bit after a hard shot or slice, requiring constant adjustment from me in between rallies. Fortunately this movement eventually stops after 4-6 hrs of play when the mains and crosses set in a bit.

#2 visor, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  3. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

i have to move a main back into place for my bg80s once in a while so its not always about string type, mostly its just the strings need to settle and not a fault with the string job or tension.

4. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Most Professional Badminton athletes readjust their string after a rally, just to check whether any adjustment has to be made or not. It is normal.

The more time you spent with the racket & string & the lesser time you have to adjust the string, since it will settle quite well through time.. However some adjustment has to be made, if needed..

5. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    I was going through kwun's videos about stringing and one or more of them regarding cross weaving included a possible solution or reduction to your problem. Check his started threads, he has multiple videos about cross weaving.

6. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Thanks! I actually made a lot of typos/mistakes :\ I'll just blame it on being tired :p

Thanks for the answers so far!

As for the misconception, I actually need to come up with arguments other than BG80 is like that. I would first say that the better "gripping" on the strings makes slicing and net play easier/better. Anything else ?

7. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

His videos actually suggest to straighten the cross strings while you are tensionning them to minimize the tension loss, which is a really good practice that I have been using since my very first string job. The strings may be straight right after being done stringing, but it has nothing to do with strings moving during play :p

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My Nanogy 98 strings move. They are at 28lbs.

It's normal for the strings to move. The only time for the strings not to move would be if the racquet is swung and misses the shuttle.

9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Lol! I do hope they don't move if you miss the shuttle, else we got a problem! :p

10. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    :D :D :D Joke of the day, my friend....