Testing racket its flexibility (bowing) -> unhealthy for racket?

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by Accordaz, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Hey guys

A colleague of mine does test the flexibility of racket with bowing / bending (?) the racket head and there its shaft.
    Is it possible that the racket can get any (not visible) damage due to this test method?

Another (maybe kinda strange) story:
    When I've received my new racket, I've had it in the 1 racket bag. Unforunately the racket went behind my back and I didn't notice that when I was sitting down (on a chair in a train). Therefore I lied against the chair and at the same time against the racket:(
    That means I've bent the racket a little bit for a short time =/ Does this matter to a racket? The chair behind me wasn't even / flat. So I think that wasn't very "healthy". On the other side, a racket should stand a lot, doesn't it?

Even though there's no damage visible - shaft is still straight - I'm worrying about any damage. Maybe too much worry :eek:

P.S. I hope I've choosen the right words to describe what I want to say. Feel free to correct me :)

2. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I think it should be alright as long as you didn't flex it a lot and the time you leant on it.
    I heard it takes a lot of effort/ force to break a racket shaft....

3. quarduroy

quarduroy New Member

All solid materials have the ability to withstand strains, and the maximum strain a material can withstand before warping is called its tensile strength. Badminton rackets in particular are designed to flex during their operation. The force you impart by flexing a racket is generally not going to exceed its max tensile strength unless the racket physically cracks or warps, so I wouldn't worry.

4. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    I do that flexibility test often. no harm