There is NO correct grip for smashing !!!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jason123, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

The Jym Says - Basic Grip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ

L
    ee Jai Bok - Pan Handle Grip ( Fingers More closer together )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv5imPdrqf8

Zhao Jianhua - Says theres no correct way to grip, but uses pan handle with fingers more closer together ) (3:12)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaJY...DvjVQa1PpcFNKAIG9FFX7tzLjg7ETnSGCuI-bxQMaims=

Fu Hai Feng - Again pan handle with fingers closer together (1:37)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eH6qFJoySf8#!

People recommend that a closer grip should only be used if you master pronation, well its not hard to snap your wrist forward,

In conclusion I dont think anyone really knows what they are on about on these forums
    However I now have found how to smash thank you for those few for your help
    :)

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Pronation isn't snapping your wrist forward ...

3. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Pronation is the Latin brother of the above, coming from “pro-na-re” which means “to bend forward”. Turning your palm down will be pronation.

In badminton terms when smashing you need to snap your wrist

4. Herrmann

Herrmann Regular Member

What video were you watching? ff to 1:20 Coach Lee says he is NOT asking you to use PANHANDLE GRIP, instead modify the basic grip slightly

5. Herrmann

Herrmann Regular Member

supination and pronation in a badminton context refers to supinating your upper arm and pronating your forearm

6. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    But that doesn't make snapping your wrist forward the pronation you want for badminton...
    Turning your palm from facing up to facing down is the kind of pronation you will need for badminton.

When it's comes to Pan Handle I think you are overinterpreting what they are saying and what you think you see on the videos.

Lee Jai Bok even says in the video that you are linking to that you must NOT go all pan handle. You must NOT go half pan handle. You should only change very very slightly towards pan handle.

If you look at the FHF video you are posting, it might look like he is very pan handled, but if you look at his grip right before and right after the smash you can see that he's only very slightly towards pan handle.
    His very good pronation of the forearm makes it look like he is much more pan handle than he really is.

7. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Hes not on about the grip, hes on about the angle of the racket

8. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek

I think you are wrong imho. He is talking about how much you should change your grip towards pan handle.

9. Herrmann

Herrmann Regular Member

Please ff to 3:39 and listen carefully. I think there are only two ways of changing the racket angle when the racket is in your hand. The first way is to alter the grip. The second way is to bend your wrist. Coach Lee is clearly saying you should not bend your wrist in order to change the racket angle. You should change the grip from basic to a grip that is looks slightly(!) more than pand-handle.

10. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Hey dont forget to look at Zhao Jianhua video :) world champion says there is no correct grip

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

In anatomy, pronation is a rotational movement of the forearm at the radioulnar joint, or of the foot at the subtalar and talocalcaneonavicular joints.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] For the forearm, when standing in the anatomical position, pronation will move the palm of the hand from an anterior-facing position to a posterior-facing position without an associated movement at the shoulder (glenohumeral joint). This corresponds to a counterclockwise twist for the right forearm and a clockwise twist for the left (when viewed superiorly). For the foot, pronation will cause the sole of the foot to face more laterally than when standing in the anatomical position. Pronation is the opposite of supination.

Acccording to your modern day dictionary pronate is turn not bend.

Reminds me of a comment someone used to make when I had only played a year or two. Kept saying I had a strong wrist (this was when I was 10/11). Got me confused as I never had the impression I used my wrist very much and tried using it more. Felt absolutely unnatural and quickly stopped trying it. Only learned later what was actually meant ;). Luckily I have been blessed with the natural motion :)

In any case I guess as long as it helps you hit the shuttle square on and you're getting results do as you please. Would love to see it in a vid though :p. Recall seeing one example in the post yourself video thread of an overly wristy technique (makes me cringe :D)

#11 demolidor, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  12. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    There is a distinct difference between "no correct grip" and "no wrong grip".

You might not be able to say rather this or this grip is more correct, but you'll definitely be able to say if a grip is wrong.

Full pan handle for smash is wrong. Just like hitting the shuttle with the handle instead of the head is wrong.

You might be able to make it work for you, but when you come to people for help improving cus' it isn't working very well you must be ready to change to something more conventional. You can't expect people to find ways to make your incorrect grip work.

13. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Haha my grip?
    Mine isnt wrong, mine is the same as Lee Jai Bok and Zhao Jianhua,

14. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    I will refrain from going into further details about why your grip is wrong. Enough people have already pointet this out in your other thread. :rolleyes:

Let's stick to the topic of this thread and the fact that there is many variations of a "right grip" but that is doesn't exclude the fact that a "wrong grip" do exists.

15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I'm glad someone has bought up this subject. I have always felt that there is no single grip or no absolute correct grip for smashing although there conventional grip does work for most people.

I went against what my first coach taught me, the conventional frying pan grip. I realised at a very young age (early teens) that I could smash much harder through greater racquet head speed but with no reduction in accuracy with a slightly modified grip. I found that by using a grip which was a cross between a forehand and backhand grip, held slightly lower down the handle I was able to get greater racquet head speed, although it meant that I had to pronate a little more. It didn't happen over night, but with this I gained the reputation of having one of/the biggest smash in the clubs I played at...

But in 2005 I developed a shoulder injury (not associated with my grip) but it meant I was not able to smash hard anymore. So now I have gone back to a conventional frying pan grip which is less effort.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hmm, your grip definitely doesn't look similar to theirs during the smash.

#16 Cheung, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  17. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

jason 123 grip is definitely wrong. u need a coach

18. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Yeh but NO ONE showed me a picture on how to do it right, which kinda makes me think do people on here even know how to smash if they cant show me the proper grip.

You cant even see my grip in the video, the quality is crap its just one big blur

People cant even return my smashes even from back of the court, so im happy

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are no single correct grip for smashing.

but there are grips that are wrong for smashing.

20. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Can you post a close up pic of how you hold your racket for a smash?

I generally hold my racket with the area between my thumb and first finger in line with the bevelled edge (not the sides). With the 1st finger higher than my thumb. Keeping a loose grip until point of impact. I'll try and post a pic of my grip tomorrow.

Saying people can't return your smash is irrelevant if we don't know the skill level of your opponents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.