tpro vs sw35

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by amleto, Mar 22, 2012.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I've been using TPro @ 286/86 for a while and just got a hold of sw35 for a bit of a change and to broaden my horizons.

I didn't think the stiffness would be much different but the sw35 is definitely noticeably stiffer.

It's just my luck that I've recently picked up a shoulder niggle and can't play test them for a short while.

Please can someone allay my concerns and tell me that sw35 is not so difficult to play with compared to TPro?

Head heavyness I can adjust to, but stiffness is making me nervous! :eek::rolleyes:

2. visor

visor Regular Member

What's the bp of your sw35? Does it feel noticeably heavier when swinging it? Definitely a head heavier, higher swing wt racket with extra stiff shaft will be harder on your shoulder. ;)

You'll notice it most on clears and smashes. I know coz I have an mx80 and used to play with a tpro.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The TPro is in the low eights (at least mine are), and I'd put the SW35 in the high sevens - there is a definite difference when bending in the hand. However, because the SW35 is so tall, the "dynamic" stiffness is somewhat reduced.

The SW35 is a 3-wood however you slice it - built like a tank for the smash maniac.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I dont know dry stats as it came strung and I haven't cut it yet - bp is ~310mm with strings though.

I do have a tpro that has same bp with strings, and sw35 feels harder to swing when wafting it around indoors.

mark - what is the test to obtain stiffness numbers?

I put an empty ~400ml glass tumbler on the end of the string bed and compared deflection - tpro was about 4mm more @ approx 80mm deflection

#4 amleto, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

This is the scale the manufacturers use - deflection under a fixed load (but I don't know the load or where it's placed or where the fulcrum is, sadly:)). Doesn't cover "swing" stiffness, but it's a good benchmark.