String recommendation for VT 70

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by uselessmail, Mar 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

Hi there folks!
    Finally after a long and agonising wait, I am getting a Voltric 70 for my Birthday:D:D:D
    Now, the retailer gives three choices for the strings namely the BG 65, BG 66UM and the Nanogy 98. Until now, I have only played with the BG 65 and I wanted to try something else. Reading through the individual string reviews were a bit confusing since I got the idea that both the 66UM and NG 98 are high on repulsion and low on durability. Which one is the softer of the two? Is it true that certain strings 'feel' better on specific rackets? :confused:

My usual string tension is 24lbs. I am usually a hard hitter but am now trying to develop my all round game and learning more of the deft touches, net play, back court net drops etc.
    So, what do the experts think???

2. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    why not VT80 or zforce?

24lbs BG65 will last you quite a long time compared to the other strings.

If you dont mind getting frequent restrings maybe try BG66/NBG98 @ 26lbs or even the non listed BG80

The VTs are positively dull at lower tensions

3. uselessmail

Well I played with VT 80 and I just couldn't really get the hang of it. The VT 80 was actually quite good but probably a bit too stiff for me I guess. The Zforce is just released and by the reviews that I've read, its even more head heavy than the VT 80 and equally stiff. Don't really want to waste this opportunity and get something that I'll regret later. Will wait for Zforce!!;)

What about the NG 95?? It'll be more durable than the 98 right? I really am quite bored with the BG 65 and I wanna try something out of the box! Even if it breaks, I can always go back to my usual BG 65.

4. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    NBG95 and BG65 are pretty dull strings, at lower tensions. NBG98 is a good choice but expensive and a bit slippery if you're used to vectran.

If you can't get BG80(great string for the price) then BG66um is your best bet, even though its a big step from the humble BG65.

Once you get used to the thinner gauge strings and consistently hit the sweet spot, you can start giving it more power.

Theres nothing more horrible than smashing at the grommets esp with thin gauge string.

#4 bazzaman, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  5. GUENNIIIII

GUENNIIIII Regular Member

Industrial Manager
    if you use bg80(hardest string) everything would feel less controled then bg65.

i think nbg98, bg66um or bg80p would be a fine go to string. bg80p with the best durability.

6. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

I am a little surprised because I have found my favour BG85 which is very much like the BG80 but thinner, offer much better feel and control than the BG65. However, I have strung them at 23lbs only.

7. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Yes i can interchange between BG80 and BG85 very easily. As for BG65 it's really plain at lower tensions but it never snaps:D

8. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

read here if u want to follow yonex recommendations for VT 70 strings

http://www.yonex.co.jp/products/badracquet/vt70.html

NBG 95 (hard hitter), NBG98 (control player)

actually strings r very personal.. same as string tensions..depends on what u prefer..

happy playing.

9. uselessmail

Thank you for that mate!

10. gollywog

gollywog Regular Member

Because maybe he just wants the vt70??? Maybe hes not strong enough for the other ones and realises that? I bet 90% of people on here that have vt80 or zforce are nowhere near technically good enough to get the best out of those rackets, resulting in their games becoming poorer rather than better, Im actually convinced of this. Racket snobbery doesnt exist in Ireland, where ive seen some top, TOP players using cheaper rackets like head, wilson etc get the most beautiful smashes etc. Its 90% the players skill/technique, and 10% the racket, sorry rant over

11. uselessmail

Gee... That's a rather cruel way to burst the bubble of someone who's won the Benchpress contest at the local gym!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    Hehehe!!! But ya you are right! I really am technically deficient to wield a VT80 or a VT-ZF. But that's OK! I do enjoy my game and that's important for me.

12. uselessmail

Ok its official now... VT-70 is the "BEST RACKET IN THE WORLD"!!!! :D:D:D
    Received it yesterday and played a few games with it and I was amazed at the way it played! The shots were crisp, smashes more powerful and defense was a breeze!!! I have a more defensive game and tend to wait for my opponents to make a mistake and then seize the opportunity when it presents itself! This racket serves as perfect foil for the job. I couldn't be more happier!!! :cool:

13. 729927852

729927852 Regular Member

BG70PRO ftw w/ plastic shuttles :p bg80 snapped too quickly on me ):

14. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

Congratulations mate. Glad you like VT70. :D

I had been using VT70 since 2011, and currently I replace it with VTZF.

I feel VTZF holds more power, better accuracy/control, and good manouvreability, in comparison with VT70.

Both are specs in 4U / G5

15. Moravtchik

Moravtchik Regular Member

Project Manager
    Hi Bazzaman,
    I just got a vt70 and the stringing tension range for the vt70 (3u) is only 20-25LBS. Are you sure I can string it in 26 ?
    Thanks,
    Leo

16. 729927852

729927852 Regular Member

These higher-end rackets are able to handle over 30lbs tension. As long as the frame isnt damaged, it can handle 26lbs for sure.

#16 729927852, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  17. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    that's exactly how it should be, not the top top VT racket, but one of fine quality and provide what you need for you to play your best!!! enjoy, i love my VT70 and it's a great racket!!!

18. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Get the 66UM or 98 for the VT70.