Please advice me after watching my videos!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by owjiken, Mar 23, 2012.

1. owjiken

owjiken Regular Member

Hi,
    -level of play: intermediate (i guess)
    -physical built: 178cm, strong upper body but weaker legs

Here're a few videos of me (Asian in the white & yellow jersey with Ken Ow written on the back, not wearing specs, shorter pants, thinner legs, playing doubles with my partner wearing the same jersey, but with specs and knee-lenght pants).
    Please enlighten me of any mistakes that you can spot, as I really am determined to improve in badminton. (Examples that I noticed: I flail my racquet leg outwards whenever I play an overhead, I lack explosiveness in my footwork...)

The last video recording of myself playing was 2 years ago and I had improved alot since then. However I was still dissapointed when I saw how I played in this video, but I couldn't point out all my mistakes by myself. I have played since I was a kid and had only gotten enthusiastic about 3 years ago. I have never had a coach (not getting 1 anyways; I'd love to, but I can't for certain reasons). I have been training since with my friends, and I learned (still learning :D) everything I could (from footwork to the teenie tiny details of each strokes' technique) from badminton videos on youtube, be it coaching videos or games between top players. I train mainly for singles, but still understand doubles.

I feel that I am particularly weak in mid court area (flat fast pushes), and have better overhead techniques.

I am having another competition in a week's time, and another one 2 weeks after that. I desperately need to find some ways to improve myself during this short period of time!
    I really LOVE this game. I'd really appreciate it if you can help me out! Thank you!

The videos:
    [video=youtube;5JVRg7YZAmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JVRg7YZAmE[/video]
    [video=youtube;EpnCbLsD4os]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpnCbLsD4os[/video]
    [video=youtube;ag1gSOqnuVc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag1gSOqnuVc[/video]
    [video=youtube;Qkr7BNje8a4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkr7BNje8a4[/video]
    [video=youtube;tdYObEicdZI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdYObEicdZI[/video]
    [video=youtube;DUKhAxWMwvo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUKhAxWMwvo[/video]
    [video=youtube;T6B2jigRmIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6B2jigRmIQ[/video]

2. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    Your partner makes quite a few mistakes at the back (watching the 4th vid).

When defending and you block you both stand there like lemons. Move into the net when you play a block to a smash, get on the attack. If you can drive the smash flat, fast and cross court try and catch them off guard then come in straight away and take the net ready to pick off a weak return and getting on the attack

Also your partner is really inconsistent, he made quite a lot of errors.

In the final one, you lifted far too much, the serve should be attacked fast and low and only lift if its a last resort.

3. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

just practice more
    u lost alot of points on unforced errors...
    n i think yr play lacks the aggressiveness to win n move to attack n win points..
    i am sure u can do beta....

4. owjiken

owjiken Regular Member

Yes...I lack the urgency even playing in competitions. Its hard for me to bring out that aggressiveness. I'll take note of this during practices. Thanks!!! Very much working on my mid court pushes and blocks now. I feel they are the hardest shots to master for me...

5. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Hi ,

Just seen those video (the one you play against those n red ,one in blue) , on a positive note, you and your partner have a good understanding for each other and your technique for most shots are good.

On the downside , footwork need to be improve on, there are no speed , no movement . You need to set yourself for defending smashes and be in a ready position, most of the other guys smashes went straight past you even when he was hitting them from the baseline.

Need to be quicker around the court , not just about footwork , is about reading the game as well, dont wait for the shuttle to come to you. Clears needs to be deeper , especially if you playing defensively but since your reaction are not great yet it is not a good idea against those guys who got pretty good smashes. You guys out-there look like someone who wanted to get off the court . In addition you are too late on the shuttle. Too many errors , from every department, every area , every angle,. When you were attacking , it is a crime to smash or drop the shuttle into the net from the back . If you were playing in a club in china ,thats not forgivable. Make sure your smash /drop go over , set yourself a margin height from the net , even if the smash is going out , there prob a chance they would still hit it .

Anyway , thats all from me atm , I know I been abit critical but it would only help you , please watch the video yourself and learn from those mistakes . and lastly, enjoy the game !

p.s. I like your kit !!

6. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Got a video here that might help you , it is a good example of moving into the shuttle and taken it early , watch how they smash and drop from the back and look at the margin over the net. Look how they flow around the court which is down to good footwork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1eGp-OZhR8

7. owjiken

owjiken Regular Member

Thx alot for the advice and the video! Gonna be at their level in no time!!! :D

8. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    I am only being harsh because I can see the potential in you to step a few levels up , and I dont want to see that talent being wasted . Set yourself a target , i.e. From the video , those red and blue guys are better players, so within next 12 months you should be aiming to be at their standard . It is all about the motivation and to learn from experience.

Those guys in the video (the link I gave you) are not your normal club players , they participate in national tournaments. Who knows, within 7-8 years time you could be as good or better than them

9. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    7-8? Theyre not amazing, theyre good players but nothing special. The 2 guys are better than the bloke in the mixed pair. The woman is a very good mixed player.

#9 Caarl, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

the guys in the vid are not cai/fu, but they're apparently very good.
    let's be honest: the thread-opener will probably not reach this level in less than 2 or 3 years. and he'll only reach it somewhen if he works a lot!!

11. owjiken

owjiken Regular Member

Well, I did not open this thread to be praised for my good points :), it's the opposite. Thx for your comments!

12. owjiken

owjiken Regular Member

It was a dreadful experience playing with the red and blue guys. They were better than us at the net, at the base line, in the mid court. I didnt even know what to do during return of serve. They were the strongest pair that I've played with so far, so it was really a good experience and an eye-opener! Currently working on my serve-and-return, and mid court pushes!

13. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

work on your short service, drop return, netplay in general.

MD is won at the net! every monkey can smash if the shuttle is being lifted by the opponent. so the goal is NOT to lift the shuttle. a lift is always defensive in doubles (it might be offensive in singles, but almost never in doubles!).

generally you lack some aggression (especially at the net) and explosiveness as you correctly analysed. always be prepared, mentally and concerning general tension of your body (sorry for my bad english, you know what i mean?).

training you wrist power will certainly help you both in offensive situations (smashes, net-kill) and defense!

keep on working.