Doesnt footwork come naturally?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jason123, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Why is it so important?

Im pretty fast around the court, I usually play with my granddad who doesn't move the whole game because he has arthritis in his legs, he some times side steps but only a few inches. And the other team is making me run all corners of the court

But I was never taught footwork and I dont see the point, Im not being arrogant but I just dont get why it is needed when you would just move around the court as you normally would?

Anyone explain? :)

2. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

You have good motoric instincts, I somehow agree w/ u on most cases but when it comes to competitive badminton certain footwork/positions on the court are more strategic or beneficial than others. Footwork should be natural and fluid in order to cover all locations on the court w/ minimal movements.:)

3. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

Let's take running and sprinting for example.

Everyone knows how to run right?
    But how come only a few people are "sprinters"?
    Genetics, and gifts aside.
    There are subtle techniques that professional sprinters learn while training that make their "running" more efficient.
    For example, the angle at which they start off the block. The angle their body makes with the ground is important to provide them maximum acceleration. They also train their breathing in a special way to make it efficient enough so their body isn't 100% in anaerobic metabolism when sprinting.
    Another key point they must train is their gait length. What is the optimal length between each stride?

Everyone knows how to run, but not everyone can be sprinters.

Going back to footwork. Yes, parts of it will come naturally, but without proper practice, you will never be as efficient as people who does proper footwork.
    Note the keyword: efficient.
    You will undoubtedly waste energy and be slower if you don't use proper footwork.
    Note this comparing oneself with using proper footwork vs not using proper footwork.

Use this video as reference for footwork drill (it's one of my favourite and most hated exercises):
    [video=youtube_share;up5M-mirAcI]http://youtu.be/up5M-mirAcI[/video]

4. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

I think jason meant "why train for footwork when footwork just comes naturally (innate ability to execute footwork)?"

5. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    our evolution from ape to man has taught us how to chase a rabbit and kill and eat it or run away from wild animal. in badminton there are other movements like backwards, sideways, quickly reversing direction etc. none of these come natuarally.

6. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

no one is born with good footwork

as mentioned on many occasions.. if u seriously want to improve..

u need to have a proper coach to teach u.....

7. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Jason, you posted a smashing video in another thread, and although you're quick with your feet, you will eventually realize you need to double (not exaggerating) your court speed to beat better players... and that won't happen without proper footwork.

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I can't see your footwork, but I imagine although it may be fast and you can cover the court it won't be technically brilliant and may be inefficient causing you to use more energy than you need.

Playing with your grandad isn't exactly like playing LD. As you move up in levels competitively you will need to learn the correct techniques.

9. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

stop i assuming that I need help just because I posted a smashing video, I said nothing like that.

I play with and against people that have been playing for 10-20 years and I can beat them

I also play against a guy that plays for Yorkshire which is pretty big, I never beat him but the scores are very close

10. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Perhaps cuz he's taking it easy on you so you won't get discouraged?My coach is rated in the top 5 of Men's Singles in British Columbia. I have decent footwork but he would demolish me if he gave 100%.Learning the proper footwork ... I can cover the court better while using less energy.

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

You do realise that there is a good possiblity that he isn't trying as much, but really just playing at your level? I'm pretty sure in the games he will be doing just enough to beat you in the games and will have a few extra gears than you if he gets into trouble...

You created the thread, don't be arrogant, and act as if you're the best player on here, cause you are not. Fact is, without any footwork training, you will never be able to beat someone who might be slightly technically inferior, but has had more footwork training.

There are so many different ways to move around the court, which are more effective for the type of shot and recovery you want, with footwork training you'll learn that and become a better player.

But hey, act arrogant, it will get you nowhere...

12. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Footwork is perhaps the most important thing that has contributed to the Asian dominance in badminton in the past few decades.

13. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Ohh my gaawdd. i was just giving an example I of who i play against not being arrogant

14. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

Super quote!! Sums it all up perfectly!!!

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Because you don't 'just move around the court like you normally would'. As can be evidenced by people:
    -hitting 'on the run' a la tennis
    -not using recovery step
    -unaware of scissor jump
    -unaware of split step
    -not getting sideways
    -etc etc

If you are just moving around the court 'as your normally would', then I would virtually guarantee your footwork has lots of room for improvement.

16. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    Perhaps you should join an A level tournament in your region. Maybe then you will understand why you need better footwork after that

17. quahjarrod

quahjarrod Regular Member

never post on this forum but just like to say, all these recent posts by Jason123 really crack me up...

In reply to this particular question by Jason. It is true that some people are naturally blessed with good balance and speed such that they can move around the court better. However, learning proper footwork technique to move around the court efficiently and strengthening your legs will maximise whatever innate talents you were born with.

I suspect you are playing with people who are not giving you enough of a challenge such that you feel comfortable with the current speed you have. I feel that too sometimes when I play with beginners when I am in need of an ego boost :p. However, unless you are Lee Chong Wei, there is always room for improvement.

You should try play in some more advanced clubs. Where in UK do you live? If you live in central london I can suggest many clubs you can join.

18. phili

phili Regular Member

Actually badminton footwork is pretty unnatural. I don't think your footwork as good as you describe it here. Ask a good player what he thinks about your movement.

19. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Efficient and effective footwork allows you to expend the minimum amount of energy to get to the shot balanced and under control to play your reply (options in playing the shot) and recovery for your opponent's reply.

How do you feel in having your opponents making you run all over the court? More than likely after a couple of games of this, you are grasping for breath. Do you feel that your replies to their shots are calculated or more reactive in the sense that you are just getting to the birdie and hitting it back (no option as to what shot to play)?

As mentioned, the idea is to get to the birdie where you have options to play the type of shots that you need to win the game and no, badminton footwork do not come naturally as they are not footwork that you normally used in your normal daily routines.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

no... unless you know martial arts