User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad, Michelle Li lost in a close match.
    LD_rules, excuse my ignorance but what are the problems ML has with badminton? (besides residing in Canada ).

PS is hahasports showing this tournament today? for some reason I can't get a feed from here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    Too bad, Michelle Li lost in a close match.
    LD_rules, excuse my ignorance but what are the problems ML has with badminton? (besides residing in Canada ).

PS is hahasports showing this tournament today? for some reason I can't get a feed from here.
    Well residing in Canada is the problem think about it, she has a lack of opportunities to spar with players of her ability and of higher ability, unlike in European and Asian countries where there would be an opportunity to train with players who are near her standard. She is by far the best player in the Pan-Am region.

Also if her funding situation is the same as it is with the other Canadians, then she is in a difficult position as well, although she gets the money to go and compete abroad, it's not like other countries where there is more funding and probably better structure than in Canada.

I think if she had better sparring and support she could go further, but as it is, she is only limited in what she can do.

And yes, I think it will be on hahasport, but it's available on BE.tv so if you are in Europe (which I know you're not) you can watch there. I'm too busy to watch this morning though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least she won her WD match. She needed this badly to increase her chance of qualifying for the Olympics WD. After the 4000 ranking points gained from winning last year's Peru International have expired, this victory in Finland guarantees she and Alex Bruce will still be Pan America's #1 ranked WD team even if Eva Lee/Paula Lynn Obanana wins the 2012 Peru International.

Having said that, I wish her all the best in this year's Peru International.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    Well residing in Canada is the problem think about it, she has a lack of opportunities to spar with players of her ability and of higher ability,
    For the sparring part, she can still spar against the top men's player in Canada.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edwin View Post
    For the sparring part, she can still spar against the top men's player in Canada.
    But they don't all train in the same place... AFAIK, Stephan trains in Denmark, and Alex (Pang) and David (Snider) aren't in the same area as where she trains. And also men's singles is very different to Womens singles, therefore although it would keep your intensity high, it doesn't provide an accurate sparring session as the men's game is so different to the women's one...

Best ask Toby where and with who does Michelle train with, he is most likely to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chow/lee reach final?
    congrats

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2