Upgrade from MP88

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by nnish78, Mar 25, 2012.

1. nnish78

nnish78 New Member

Hi All,

I've been playing with a Yonex Muscle Power for long(Had the racket more than 10 years and picking the sports back again).....

I am currently looking at an upgrade(I can only get Apacs racket where I currently am at... Yonex is too expensive)....

I play almost 90-100% doubles and used to be a smashing player... I do find that I get great control from my Muscle Power, but have Tennis elbow pains when I smash a lot now(I got a new tennis elbow strap that's helping out).... I also am not able to do drive shots, but still able to smash quite sharp....

I am looking for a new racket to give me the extra power I am looking for while keeping the manoeuvrability of my MP88...

Any advise from the Apacs range??? Tantrum? Lethal??

Thanks

2. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

The Armortec 600 was essentially made to replace the MP88, and now the Voltric 60 to replace the AT600. So that might be a good start.

3. BlueTornado

Oops, just realized that you don't want Yonex, only Apacs! Sorry about that.

I think the Tantrum 500 International has the specs you're looking for -- head heavy and medium stiff. Its quality might not be the best, but it'll be cheaper than Yonex for sure. I only can look at the models Apacs Canada has online, I'm afraid I don't know about their other models.

4. nnish78

nnish78 New Member

Thanks.. How's the Lethal range compared?? WIll that be too head heavy as per my readings or will be a good consideration too??

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The Lethal 11 might be worth a look - it's an excellent doubles racket for defence and counter, but lacks power when you really want to unload. Headlight and flexible.

6. nnish78

nnish78 New Member

Thanks.. I did try out the Tantrum Light Exclusive yesterday.. The racket felt totally different from the MP88... I can clear with lots of ease and can get very sharp smashes, specially when I jump... However, I do find that I lack power compared to my MP88 but play more consistently and with much more ease.... Will the 500 International be similar to the Light Exclusive and give more power???

7. BlueTornado

Yes, it should be better. The Tantrum Light Exclusive is a very light racket, as its name suggests, so you won't be able to get as much power from it.

Even better than the Tantrum 500 International is the Tantrum 200/300. It'll be stiffer than the 500 International, but should be maneuverable and overall a great racket to use.