re-string patterns of certain Yonex rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by London_Player, Mar 26, 2012.

1. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    I took my rackets to re-string telling the stinger to follow Yonex recomondations but he seems quite confused and wanted just wanted to follow his usual string patterns. This seems a quite common occurance with stringers in London. For certain rackets Yonex recomends that you string it differently.

Do you guys follow manufacturers recomondation on stringing patters or ignore them and you think they don't matter at all. Just wanted to hear your views.

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    It is very common that stringers don't know more than one or two patterns for stringing. The reason is that most of them are tennis stringer and dont bother researching all the patterns for badminton. Another reason is that some people string casually, mainly for them and friends, and don't take the time to research and practice new patterns since it's no professional stringing.

Unless the pattern your stringer uses is really weird, you shouldn't feel a major difference between it and the Yonex pattern (also, maybe the pattern he knows is Yonex's and he just doesn't know :p). Some people prefer specific patterns though and can feel a small difference between 2 and 4 knots and between top-down and down-top.

3. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Thanks Yan, for replying. Recently I went to Decathlon superstore, the French company. I had to show the stringer the Yonex catalogue so that he could string as per the manufacturer recomendation. It just showes you need dedicated stringers for Badminton, and as you say stringers who are upto date with techniques.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are really only 3 different Yonex patterns, and aside from small variations such as 2/4 knots and some knot tying locations, it is really quite hard to screw it up.

- 72 holes shared hole pattern. used by pretty much all rackets since beginning of time until non-shared hole shows up in the middle 2000's
    - 76 holes non-shared hole pattern. used by most non-shared holes racket
    - 78 holes non-shared hole pattern, used by ARC-Z and VT-ZF.

please correct me if i get it wrong.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'm curious as to what L_P's stringer's "usual" pattern would be for badminton... Yonex rackets' shared holes are so obviously bigger than the non-shared ones that it would take a real clown to get it wrong (but there's a picture of a mangled 900P on here somewhere that turned me into rageguy).

"Pattern" in tennis doesn't really mean "grommet arrangement" as it does for us; it usually refers to piecedness and if/how top-down is achieved.