Is this crack due to a stringing flaw?

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by Notorious544d, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Notorious544d

Notorious544d Regular Member

Student (college)
    My Nanospeed 800 got restrung with BG66 Ultimax @ 24lb and I noticed that it had a hairline crack.
    The problem is that I wasn't sure whether the crack was there before the restringing. I continued playing with the racket for a few more hours and the crack opened up. It's now basically unusable :(

I was told by the stringer (who also owns the Badminton club I go to) that the crack was due to a clash, which seems legitimate because I remember clashing my racket LOADS of times during it's 2.5 year period. This racket was bought when I was still a beginner and progressed me up to intermediate level, so it is likely that the amount of clashes may have slowly worn it down.

The purpose of this thread though, is that I want to know whether this crack was made by a clash or if it was a stringing flaw. I will appreciate quick responses because I want to make my mind up before Saturday as my shiny Nanospeed 9900 should be coming tomorrow :D:D
    If it was a stringing flaw, I'll check out another stringer. But if it wasn't, then I would prefer to give the NS9900 to the owner over the weekend to restring the BG66U so that it will be ready next session.

Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hard to say. a few points.

1. did you noticed the crack before you give it to the stringer?
    2. the stringer is supposed to look for evidence of damage before stringing the racket. even though at times the damage may not be visible.
    3. you said there are numerous clashes. but is there a noticible chip near the crack?
    4. usually when a racket is damaged during the process, the crack and crumbling happens pretty quickly and destructively.

looks to me a 50/50 case.

3. Notorious544d

Student (college)
    1. No, simply because I didn't have a good look at minor details before it was strung.
    2. I admit, if there was a crack, it would have been literally invisible. When I received my racket back, I wasn't even sure if it was a crack; I thought it may have been a paint chip.
    3. My racket is littered with chips lol. It was a mid-range racket made in Taiwan, so it was kinda expected, especially after being used for a good 2.5 years. But yes, the crack was 'inside' a paint chip when I noticed it first.
    4. After I saw the crack, it opened up pretty quickly. It must have taken ~7 hours to get from a hairline to the ones above.

Thanks for your response.
    I hope this helps.

4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    2.5 years with LOADS of clashes? I think you're lucky you got 2.5 years out of it.

Is this the first time you've used this stringer or has he always been stringing your racket? If it's the latter...chances are your racket was ready to die after so many clashes.

5. Notorious544d

Student (college)
    Probably about 6-7 clashes, but from beginner - lower intermediate players, so it's possible that it may not have contributed too much, but who knows.

Regarding the stringer, it was my first time restringing with him. He seemed pretty experienced but I'm no expert at stringing, so I don't know.

6. CanucksDynasty

Hmm...50/50 like kwun said.

Personally...I don't like going to club operated stringers. I don't know who's doing it (may be students for all I know). I take it to a local badminton shop where there's a guy who's sole job is stringing.

7. Notorious544d

Student (college)
    Hmm... good point.

The main issue is not the racket, as it is now broken. My main concern is that after the purchase of a high-end racket such as the NS9900, I'm worried that a bad string job could cause a similar result. I don't want to risk that...

8. CanucksDynasty

The clubs I go to often have 4 point crank machines with no upgrades (ie. WISE, etc) as far as I can see. I remember the owner balked at stringing at 27lbs.

I like higher tension. So the guy I go to uses a 6 point ECP machine (Yonex ESPro?). So I'm confident my racket isn't warped and has the correct tension as well. And if my racket ever breaks...it's probably due to my crappy play than his string job.

9. Notorious544d

Student (college)
    This further supports what CanucksDynasty said. I think it's better not to risk it.
    Here's the alternative stringer I'm thinking of. It'll take ~1 hour to reach there, but by first impressions, do they look good and professional enough? (bare in mind they only have one store)
    http://www.united-sports.co.uk/

10. CanucksDynasty

You should ask your friends and other badminton enthusiasts in your area for stringing recommendation. There might even be a stringer in your area that frequents these forums.

And the website link doesn't really tell me anything about stringing services. The store I go to has a really bad outdated website and is a small hole in the wall crammed with badminton/tennis stuff. So you can't really judge it by it's appearances.

11. Notorious544d

Student (college)
    I was just wondering, could the crack be because of 24x24 tension?

I was following this thread and noticed how no extra cross tensions could deform a frame.

Could this be it? And in future, shall I string to 24x26?
    Lastly, as my NS9900 has a max tension recommendation of 24lb, will the 24x26 be voiding the warranty?

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    nope. 24x24 is fine.

13. Notorious544d

Student (college)
    But will 24x26 be more fine?

And will it void the warranty?

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in terms of breakage. neither of them will contribute to breakage any more than another.

warranty will depend on whether the tension exceeds the recommended tension specified at the cone.

15. Notorious544d

Student (college)
    The maximum is 24lb...

16. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I have the same racket as well... The recommend tension for the racket is 25lbs, when I checked it last....
    It may be both situations...

17. Notorious544d

Student (college)
    For the NS800 or NS9900?

18. drew tze en

Oh Sorry.... The Nanospeed 800

19. Notorious544d

Student (college)
    Wow, the NS800 is a mid-range racket with a higher recommended tension than the NS9900, a high-end racket?
    Odd. And yes, I know the NS9900 can take up to like 35lb, but I'm talking about recommended tensions. Could be because of the slimmer NS9900 frame?

20. drew tze en

I think Yonex give a low tension because of Warranty... I got a VT-80, recommend tension is 26lbs but I will go over it because, it is warranty and plus I bought it outside of the UK and won't be able to claim for a warranty