Best serving position in MD

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by pinocchio, Aug 3, 2003.

1. pinocchio

pinocchio New Member

What is the best serving position in the court in a Men's Double game if I want to have the option to serve low / flick / drive ? I am about 5'8" tall.

Normally I stand at the T-position to serve, but sometimes (about 30%) the shuttle goes under the net if I try to do a drive serve.

If I hold the racket and shuttle higher as I serve, I am afraid that may cause a fault.

If I change my serving position (like taking a step back from the T-position), the shuttle will go over the net but then this will give away the surprise.

What is YOUR experience and suggestion?

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Well...i'm assuming you serve backhand. I suspect the reason why you are having difficulty in your drive serve is probably because you just haven't mastered the technique/timing in when to hit the shuttle to create a drive over the net.

Some solutions:

Continue to practice your drive serve, you mentioned that everytime you do this the shuttle goes under the net, well..try timing it so you make contact with the shuttle a lot earlier as if you'd do a high serve. Experiment and keep practicing until you get the right hight for a drive.

or

You could just do all your serves further back..away from the T-position. that way..your opponents will not suspect as much of what serve you're about to do.

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Or, you can try to do it like Candra/Sigit :

Don't put the racquet below the shuttle before you want to serve - almost like an instantaneous thing. Keep the racquet away from the shuttle, then suddenly move it below and flick.

Hard to do, harder to return.

This is best down near the T. Most ppl I know serves near the T.

4. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yeah...that's to add deception. However, for pinocchio's case, i still think he needs to get the timing for his drive serve. like you mentioned wilfred, that serve you mentioned is hard to do...if pinocchio doesn't have the timing to get the shuttle over in the first place for a drive, i would think it'd be even harder to get a drive over instantaneously.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    pinnochio. i think more practice is the key here. 95% of the doubles services are done around the T area and i see no reason why that position causes you to drive service into the net. so try a few thousand times on an empty court. stand at the T and start experimenting with your drive serve.

again: practice.