OH MAN I AM CONFUSED

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by shaun, Mar 29, 2001.

1. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    Kelvin confused me by saying higher string tension=more controll but less power and lower tension=more power. I always thought it was the other way around...but anyway, we've heard too many of these questions...so what i want to ask is: Does anyone know for certain which is for which?! Dont give me ur scientific explanations cos...well that might not work that well. I want to know what works from your experience and not what you think.
    thanks for the replies! I am one confused dood "[

2. Don

Don Regular Member

I use to play at 20 lbs, now I play at 35 lbs... I guess I attained more experience and needed higher tensions seeing how I am able to swing harder and generate more power in relation... It's totally up to you, some people like high and some people like low. Some people think high is good for control and low is good for power... Whatever floats you boat is probably best for you. Experiment and find out for yourself.

3. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Sorry but unavoidable to use at least some scientific explanations :

- The relationship b/w string tension and control/power is not linear.
    - There is maxiumum point in the curve, it will then go down when that point is passed.

So, take's talk about my personal experience (it matches with the above scientific explanation) :

- For string tension vs power, I get more power with higher string tension unless the tension reaches around 28-30 lbs. String tension above this will give significantly less power because I don't have enough wrist and arm to swing the racquet fast enough. In fact, in those days when my wrist or forearm is quite tired, this upper limit will be lower to 24 lbs or even below.

On the other hand, I cannot conclude easily on the topic on string tension vs control because :

(1) I found that the type of string has more impact on control.
    (2) I'm not a player who is good at control, so I can't feel difference as drastic as string tension vs power.

Finally, I think Kwun had made an excellent explanation on this sometime ago in this forum, please use the search function to find it out.

4. May

May Guest

I like 22 pounds. But it depends on ur style of playing and in the end, boils down to your personal preference.

5. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    now who's the master manipulator? :)

hehehe...
    :evil:

6. May

May Guest

Re: now who's the master manipulator? :)

huh?????? What do u mean???