how do we define "beginner player", "intermediate player", and "advanced player"?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Pizza Fish, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

by what qualifications do we go by? obviously the levels would vary throughout the world, so we would want some sort of guideline right? what do you think would be considered beginner, intermediate, and advanced?

in my eyes, a beginner is relatively new to badminton, still awkward in hitting shots and footwork; unlearned in the sport.

an intermediate player is competent enough to return the birdie and hit most shots (except the really hard ones such as backcourt backhand crossdrop or something insane). the intermediate player isnt exactly excellent at badminton but definately isnt clumsy on the court like a beginner may be.

to me, an advanced player is someone who really understands badminton strategy and knows how to hit basically every type of shot. advanced players gotta have good footwork as well.

what's your guys' stance on this?

2. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

The beginning stage of learning Badminton is the exploratory phase,
    where the player is attempting to learn the correct technique and sequence of
    movements of all the basic skills e.g. serve, return of serve, overhead
    shot. A number of errors may be made and players will need feedback
    to recognize and correct these errors. Initially a player may find it
    difficult to rally and have limited stroke range.

Skills set: Basic
    Technique of shot: +
    Quality of shot (length of rally, power, placement/accuracy and creativity) : +
    Errors : +++
    Quality of footwork (Agility and coverage) : +
    Physical Endurance : +
    Mentality : +

During the intermediate stage a player will be performing more
    consistently and with more quality e.g. good length. Timing and
    anticipation will improve although skills may break down under
    pressure in a game situation.

Skills set: Basic +
    Technique of shot: ++
    Quality of shot (length of rally, power, placement/accuracy and creativity) : ++
    Errors : ++
    Quality of footwork (Agility and coverage) : ++
    Physical Endurance : ++
    Mentality : ++

At the advanced stage, all the basic skills are performed with quality
    and flair . Players are able to concentrate on more detailed aspects of
    the skills and the tactics required, producing surprise elements if
    needed.

Skills set: Basic +++ with deception
    Technique of shot: +++
    Quality of shot (length of rally, power, placement/accuracy and creativity) : +++
    Errors : +
    Quality of footwork (Agility and coverage) : +++
    Physical Endurance : +++
    Mentality : +++

Preetpalmann likes this.
  3. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    IMO, as with many sports, badminton is a sport with many deep levels of skills.

These terms are inherently generic. So however you define them, they will include a very broad and overlapping range of skills in players. I.E. people will still use them differently even if you could define it.

It's one of the beauties of the game though. It has that any given day principle embedded within, making someone beginner in one's eyes and advanced in another and changing from day to day. :)

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

maybe you could link to some videos in the video thread (or random vids on youtube) to give a feeling of what you guys call beginner, intermediat, advanced!?

it certainly differs from one's own perspective and how good you are yourself.
    lin dan would probably call me intermediate, whereas my (nonbadminton) friends might say advanced or even better...

5. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Levels are difficult to define. Also important is where you play, ie I am in Indonesia so I classify myself as an intermediate whereas if I go to US they will classify me as advance if I am in Midwest region but maybe intermediate advance if I am in West coast where badminton is more popular n there are international badminton 'retirees' are living.