What to replace the Yonex MP99 with? Shop recommended Voltric 80 is quite head heavy.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Zapirian, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Hi all, just joined here as my local shop that I've bought badminton and squash rackets from for years and taken advice from seems to have let me down with advice.

My favorite racket broke a while back and while I did take an opportunity in the past and buy a second one the newer one broke so I have quite an old Yonex MP99 left but am needing a another racket. The shop owner recommended the Voltric 80 as a replacement but even building up the handle with another grip to try and change the balance a little I find this racket is very head heavy in comparison to the MP99 and not as agile for doubles as I found the MP99 to be. My last few rackets have been Yonex but don't really have brand preference. I'd rather find something with similar handling to the MP99 in another brand than grab another Yonex that doesn't feel similar to it, but if the Nanoray 700RP or FX might have similar characteristics to the MP99 I'd consider them.

2. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    1-3 times a week, play club, mixed league and mens doubles in local leagues, lower divisions.

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    Prefer being at the back than at net, probably as I don't have the reaction speed I did when I was a bit younger.

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    Balance between these I guess.

4. How much money do you want to spend?
    Up to about £150(GBP)

3. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    Maybe try a Victor racket? Many of their selection has a head-heavy feel that could suit you better than a VT80. Rackets like the MX80, MX70, BS LYD could be something you're looking for.

4. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Thanks Cillu.
    I've actually been trying to find the Victor BS10 racket online in the UK as it sounds more stiff/even balance than the VT80 as I don't like the heavier head of it.

5. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Ordered a Nanoray 700RP which is stiff but headlight(according to the shaft) but most retailers and reviews seem to have it listed as "medium" or "even" balance. Hopefully I'll bond with that racquet and either keep the VT80 for mixed doubles where I'll almost always be at the back or ebay it...

6. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Received the 700RP, will get a chance to use it on Sunday. Feels more similar to the old even balance MP99 than the Voltric 80. Had it strung with Nanogy 95 (which is what the restringer at local store put on the Voltric) so should be a fair comparison. Doesn't feel quite as light as the MP99 but that might be the Karakal Kushy grip I've got on the older racket changing it's balance a bit more.

Will post back with feedback after I've used this on Sunday, hopefully with good news so that anyone else looking for a MP99 replacement will have an idea of whether or not they should try the 700RP.

7. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    Looking forward to it. I only have 5 MP 99s left! :)

8. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Played 3 hours of badminton (doubles and mixed doubles club play) this evening and I feel a lot more comfortable with the 700RP compared to the Voltrix 80. It's not quite the same as the MP99 but a hell of a lot closer. Not that far off even balance even though the writing on the shaft says "head light balance". Returning a lot more smashes, better control (for me anyway), and getting cleaner smashes too, possibly not with quite as much power as the VT80. Overall though I feel this is the racquet for me and the VT80 will be stuck on Ebay or the sold to someone at the club if I find anyone interested.

9. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Note : both the VT80 and NR 700RP were strung with NRG95.

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Sorry for late reply. Arc8dx plays pretty similar to the MP99. Good balance, solid feel.

11. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Thanks, I think someone else suggested that to me (but after I'd ordered the 700RP). Only thing I think that put me off it was that it is a smaller head from reviews I've read (and I feel my accuracy needs as big a head as possible :D ), and also rated at extra stiff. Would have been interesting to try one out to see how it compares for myself, but think I'm happy enough with the 700RP for now ;)

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Good. Dont pay too much attention to the stiff, extra stiff categories. They are largely meaningless. Best to try them out.