User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to treat serial stringbreakers?

Hey guys,

I have a club mate (decent county player) who breaks BG65 within a week. His tension is 30/32 (no pre-strech) and I string regular his rackets. Location for climate: Germany. I'm worried about my work, because IMO it is quite fast for BG65. The string broke always in the middle of the right or left first main (pretty normal). The other strings show some wear and tear, but are not really frayed. I know that pros break strings quite often, but he is far away from playing at this level. I adjust my clamps regular and I think don't clamp to tight. I hardly find marks on the strings. 29/31 is my go to tension and I don't break strings that often, but I'm not a strong player compared to him.
    Could it be that a different ratio of main/cross could last longer? E.g. 31/31 or 29/32 or 31/32. It shouldn't be a problem on my 6 point machine to change the ratio without much risk.

IMO the possible causes can be:

1. He is a strong player and breaking with this frequent is normal
    2. My ratio of 30/32 is a bad choice
    3. It's winter and due the low temperature it is normal
    4. I'm a bad stringer

Maybe some of the master stringer here can share their experience with their clients and period of breaking BG65 in a normal way and how they treat such clients, because IMO it's difficult to treat them, because others don't know their level and tension and can conclude that you are the reason for the breakage.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do not know much about stringing, but given that tension and level of play, i do not think the breakage you described is out of the ordinary. if your friend does not mind experimenting with a different string, perhaps could try something like bg70pro to see if it flares any better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some might add that when coming into the badminton hall from the cold, it is better to let the string comes to room temp before playing. better yet, not to expose the string to extreme temp - but there are colder places than germany, take russia, canada, iceland...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is funny you describe this problem, because I'm having the same problem with one of the players I sponsor. He uses BG70 Pro @ 24lbs and he currently breaks 1-2 strings per week, which is insane! Especially for this type of string. I even tried to give him ZM70, and he also broke it within a week.

The strings break in the middle every single time and I can see some wear and tear and it is sometimes frayed just a little. I don't think he is particularly strong since he's only a teenager but he does play 20+ hours per week.

My record is almost irreproachable regarding string breaks. I've had some customers bring back their rackets within 2 weeks, but the strings broke because of mishits and even then, it is quite rare. I also string regularly for very strong players at higher tensions than that and with thinner strings and it lasts weeks if not months. Even with this record, I reinspected my machine, the clamps and the gripper and everything was fine.

The strings are individual packs, so we can probably exclude a "bad batch" theory.

Temperature is a factor for sure since they break more often since November, but the strings were breaking quite often even before that.

The only thing I can think that could explain this would be if he slices power shots like smashes, causing extra friction on the stringbed and faster wear.

I'm curious to see if someone else would have any other kind of explanation!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Alternative explanation :

Münchausen syndrome !

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Alternative explanation :

Münchausen syndrome !
    I thought about it, but I don't want to insult anyone asking if they purposely break/cut the strings! But to be fair, I doubt they are because they still have to pay for restrings.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    I thought about it, but I don't want to insult anyone asking if they purposely break/cut the strings! But to be fair, I doubt they are because they still have to pay for restrings.
    Münchausen is a strange thing.

Smokers still smoke despite knowing it's harmful and expensive.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ That's called addiction.

Munchausen is when they have a secondary gain, like attention, empathy etc
    Last edited by visor; 01-09-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

maybe he just want someone to talk to...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, he's still a teen! I don't see him very often and his parents drive a long way every time to bring the rackets! I don't think any psychological/attention issue is at cause here :P

Speaking of my case though (sorry ucantseeme, don't want to hijack your thread! heh)

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know this won't help, but at least it saves your reputation, if you're concerned about it.

If your client can choose or not to choose you, you can also choose or not to choose him as a client?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think my reputation is on the line since the player is someone I sponsor and they know the service is top notch! But that also excludes me not wanting him as a customer! heh

I'm just looking into a way to help him with this problem, since this doesn't impact me so much. I'm also very curious as to why it is happening :P

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Plastic birds I presume? If so, tell him to start using feathers!.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He uses feathers exclusively.

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know... he'll be the best person to demo ZM69 for durability...

I'm willing to bet a pack of it that it'll last at least a few wks...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    He uses feathers exclusively.
    Basically, you have to compare with the pros. Would they break a string every 20hours with BG 65. If not, then there must be something else going on. Is he testing tension of the racquets by hitting the frame of another racquet on the bed of strings? Is he banging the strings on his knee, against his shoe or a bed post? Is it the stencil ink? Are the racquets stored in a bag next to a wet towel

Sometimes the reason can be pretty wierd. Perhaps he is always using his fingernails on the string.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    I know... he'll be the best person to demo ZM69 for durability...

I'm willing to bet a pack of it that it'll last at least a few wks...
    I don't know... He broke ZM70 in 3 days...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast