User Tag List

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Improved gripper for pros pro challenger

Im currently using paper to protect the string from the gripper (spring at the bottom?). Also the gripper sticks and fails to release sometimes. At least now the string is protected, just a bit slower than using a bare gripper for my own racquets.

Any ideas please? I've seen a replacement part on pros pro website but not confirmation if its a better gripper. I would hope its a case of a direct swap/improvement per the chudek side supports. Less sticking and no string damage are a must!

Thank you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it helps the Wise gripper is silky smooth...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emjay View Post
    If it helps the Wise gripper is silky smooth...
    No it doesn't. Shut up

Or remove it and send it to me!

Seriously though, is it available as a spare? I'll have a hunt around. I can't enjoy a wise if the wife kills me for buying it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I reckon your best bet will be to take it apart and file off all the rough edges. I certainly wouldn't spend more money with Pro's Pro as they only seem to have one quality level, which is adequate at best.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I've sussed the issue with the string being damaged. Just done 25lb with yellow vs850 from a pack as a test as I thought that's most likely to go bang/show damage.

Anyway. One of the 'pins', rolled metal tube with a lengthways gap, that hold the gripper together had the gap pointing upwards. The gap having sharp edges was damaging string when I didn't have the paper in to protect it.

I got a couple of pictures but I'm not sure how clear they are. I'm also not sure if pulling the string downwards I to the gripper will snag the springs. I don't think so but I'll go over my test stringed with my loupe.

Showing the gap,from underneath.

The spring
    Last edited by DuckFeet; 08-28-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Photos

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same problem as this with the XP Plus (which I think is the same machine but with a stand, I forget).

It's definitely something down at the bottom. I stopped pushing the string right to the bottom of the gripper and haven't had the problem since, but I accept that's not an ideal solution.