User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soulless View Post
    ..., I think the problem maybe a combination of not turning my wrist enough, not relaxed enough, hitting the shuttle too low, ...
    As in most cases, it seems to be a combination of imperfect technique and the wrong racket / tension.

Your technique isn't perfect and you use a stiff racket with a much too high tension.

Maybe visit UK choach Paul's blog about backhand clears and check out his racket reviews, e.g. the VT70 ... that baby might serve you well at even 20 lbs ... and your shoulder will say: "Thank you" ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For backhand power shots most of the power comes from the elbow turn and wrist flick, the shoulder should be relaxed and only used at the beginning of the stroke. You are over-exerting on yr shoulders n are not exerting at the right place (wrist).

I am also using Victor's AT99 n it is perfect for me, except a bit too tiring for long games. The stiffness does not bother me and the large sweetspot enables me to hit my power shots easily.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sautom88 View Post
    For backhand power shots most of the power comes from the elbow turn and wrist flick, the shoulder should be relaxed and only used at the beginning of the stroke. You are over-exerting on yr shoulders n are not exerting at the right place (wrist).

I am also using Victor's AT99 n it is perfect for me, except a bit too tiring for long games. The stiffness does not bother me and the large sweetspot enables me to hit my power shots easily.
    Thanks, I have rested for two weeks after the injury and started playing again. I am not convinced that I have to switch rackets as the AT99 gives me very nice touch on net shots. I am trying to improve my technique and noticed that some of the more powerful clears actually had not much strain on the shoulder. Hope my technique and shoulder strength continues to improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not convinced that I have to switch rackets ...
    It's not only the racket stiffness ... in my opinion high string tensions combined with imperfect technique are much worse. In your case it sums up ... racket stiffness, string tension and technique ... three negative factors for your shoulder. Maybe lower string tension, until your technique has improved. That doesn't cost much and is worth a try, don't you think?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Gosen 6900 strung at 24 (probably down to 23 now), if my shoulder hurts again I will switch. Thanx for the advice though

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you play with feather or plastic shuttles? I find that there is a huge difference between them in terms of feel of the shot. One probably torque more with plastic shuttles, thus more likely to get injured.

Also, do you workout? I find that regular upper shoulder workout prevents the sort of injury caused by imbalance of the muscles. If you play baddy only, some muscles gets active and stronger more than others in the long run. Thus making you more prone for injuries.

You might also want to stretch down after your games. This is even more important than complementing gym workouts with baddy games because it prevents long term shortening of your muscles and will lead to tendonitus and other joint issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... strung at 24 (probably down to 23 now) ...
    Well, I use 20 lbs ;-) ... being only an advanced beginner.

But I found out, that it helps ME much to do some weight lifting before playing ... only 5kg to warm up my arm muscles.

Inappropriate warm up might be a further factor?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy75 View Post
    Do you play with feather or plastic shuttles? I find that there is a huge difference between them in terms of feel of the shot. One probably torque more with plastic shuttles, thus more likely to get injured.

Also, do you workout? I find that regular upper shoulder workout prevents the sort of injury caused by imbalance of the muscles. If you play baddy only, some muscles gets active and stronger more than others in the long run. Thus making you more prone for injuries.

You might also want to stretch down after your games. This is even more important than complementing gym workouts with baddy games because it prevents long term shortening of your muscles and will lead to tendonitus and other joint issues.
    Plastic, have always played plastic as it is what is supplied at my club. I have started to warm up pre games and stretch after, more attention to the shoulder nowadays. I used to work out regular, so I would describe myself as adequate strength-wise. But if you can suggest a shoulder specific exercise it would be helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plastic, have always played plastic as it is what is supplied at my club.
    A further reason to lower the tension. Regarding your shoulder excercise question ... how about visiting a doc for sport injuries and asking him/her?

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Plastic birds with tension of 24lbs... for sure you'll get shoulder pain if you don't have good technique. And save the money and time from seeing a sports doc, better spent on a good coach.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24lbs seems abit excessive for plastic plays even if you have good form. Try 22lbs instead. It's more forgiving and more appropriate for your singles games since your coverage of the entire court would have more mis-hits than when you're playing doubles. Taking a full swing on an off-centred shot will send more shocks to your joints and muscles, increasing the chance of injury. Higher tensioned stringbeds are only reasonable if you're playing feathers just because of the flight dynamics.

I am speaking from my own experience, of course. I started out playing plastic with 20lbs and gradually increased the lbs. as I progressed. I never felt pain until I had my racquet done up to 24~25lbs playing with plastic shuttles. I also complemented my baddy routine with physical training regime, but the pain persisted until I switched over and got regular baddy training as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consistent swing is important for both singles and doubles.

If you feel pain at one angle while hitting, try switching to another angle.

Or probably use left hand when hitting backhand. lol. Just kidding. I wonder if anyone tried this. I may want to do it next time seriously. lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2