Shoulder pain from high backhand clear / smashs

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by soulless, Mar 29, 2012.

1. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    Hi I am sorry if this is the nth thread on shoulder pain but I am merely describing some pain not a injury and my own experiences.

Basically, I have started playing more singles lately (I previously played doubles exclusively which does not require backhand clears) and I come home and find that my shoulder hurts if I repeat the same motion- from the raised elbow to extending my arm and at the same time supinating my forearm. The pain appears to be near my rotator cuff, on top of the deltoid muscle. The pain usually goes away the next day as I am still under 30.

I wonder if this is something wrong with my technique? Moreover, should I be concerned about the damage getting worse? I will be grateful if people can share past experiences and what they did to prevent / heal injury.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

what racket are you using for singles?

3. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    Victor artery tec 99 classic, VS850 at 24lbs. Note I have been using it for doubles before I switched to RKEP pro9000, and I never had the same kind of shoulder problems

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Singles require a head heavier racket with flexier shaft. Speed here is not as important as head momentum especially if you want effortless clears from baseline to baseline.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Also make sure you watch some videos of pros doing this stroke, eg zhao jianhua's coaching series or taufik hidayat slow mo on YouTube. Make sure you get behind the bird and whip your arm loosely striking the bird when it's about half a foot "behind" you, ie between you and the net. Google on the forum re backhand clears and you'll see previous discussions.

This is a good one from Paul Stewart.
    http://badminton-coach.co.uk/524/7-...inton-backhand-clear-and-how-to-correct-them/

6. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    Although there are plenty of pro singles players using stiff rackets, I will agree with you that flexier shafts may be better for me on clears, especially backhand as I wouldn't need to strain my arm as much to generated explosive power. What do you suggest? MX60? I have a Gosen 6900 but it is not headheavy

7. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    I see a thread on shoulder pains that describes my exact condition, too bad it seems to be a common problem but very difficult to heal. I guess I have to wait a while before playing again to avoid aggravating the injury.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Most likely your technique. Backhand clear requires perfect technique and timing to execute properly, without forcing it. Just watch taufik hidayat or anyone at your club who has an effortless backhand stroke.

9. Aurora_

Aurora_ Regular Member

Do you have a big follow through? Your shoulder pain could have result from trying too hard to get that power.

If you have the habit of catching the shuttle low (with bended elbow), then you are likely to use more shoulder muscle to generate rotary power. Again, trying too hard to get that power, you also get a big follow through and could have over-stretch your shoulder muscle.

10. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    Thanks for the advice, I think the problem maybe a combination of not turning my wrist enough, not relaxed enough, hitting the shuttle too low, and trying too hard for shuttles that are already behind me. But no, I don't have a big follow through. I don't think you are supposed to straighten the elbow though, as it leads to elbow injuries. I just have not found the optimal angle yet.

11. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

could b technique

could b racket

could b string tension

as long u r ok... thats...good.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Here, I've attached it:

[​IMG]

14. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    thank, I actually heeded your advice and checked them out. But if you need confirmation...

I guess Taufik is too much to ask :D

15. visor

visor Regular Member

No problem. :)

Taufik backhand smash... ;)

[​IMG]

16. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    Lol, I was trying to say that I probably will never be able to replicate Taufik, the man is a f*cking genius, so I wouldn't bother with the vid you just posted.

Okay, seriously, I have been planting waay too early, before I make the hit, so all the stress is on my shoulder. Thanks for the advice.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, you must plant your racket foot just a split second before you strike the bird, so that you're pushing up and supporting your upper body and shoulder at strike. Whatever you do, don't force the stroke or else you'll get shoulder pain.

18. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

As in most cases, it seems to be a combination of imperfect technique and the wrong racket / tension.

Your technique isn't perfect and you use a stiff racket with a much too high tension.

Maybe visit UK choach Paul's blog about backhand clears and check out his racket reviews, e.g. the VT70 ... that baby might serve you well at even 20 lbs ... and your shoulder will say: "Thank you" ;-)

19. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

For backhand power shots most of the power comes from the elbow turn and wrist flick, the shoulder should be relaxed and only used at the beginning of the stroke. You are over-exerting on yr shoulders n are not exerting at the right place (wrist).:)

I am also using Victor's AT99 n it is perfect for me, except a bit too tiring for long games. The stiffness does not bother me and the large sweetspot enables me to hit my power shots easily.

20. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    Thanks, I have rested for two weeks after the injury and started playing again. I am not convinced that I have to switch rackets as the AT99 gives me very nice touch on net shots. I am trying to improve my technique and noticed that some of the more powerful clears actually had not much strain on the shoulder. Hope my technique and shoulder strength continues to improve.