Do stiff rackets break easy

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Jason123, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

I was asking my friend for advice, He used to be ranked for england and he recommends Light head rackets with medium flex shaft and he says without flex theres no give for the precise shots

Another person that i know through a mutual friend who also was ranked in england says that head heavy rackets with stiff shafts are the best to use, and that all the top players around the world use them

Whos correct?

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

With those T-Rex smashes I think the rackets are safe from harm ;)

"Ranked" doesn't mean anything; ranked in the top 50-100 would be a more meaningfull description ...

3. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    The one whose higher ranked is correct.

[​IMG]

4. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Theoretically you'd want the least amount of flex for the 'precise' shots. This is because you get better feedback through the racket, giving you a better idea of what's going on with the shuttle.
    That said, it's really going to be up to your personal preference. I personally use the stiffest racket I can find, but it's a nightmare when I have to play with plastic shuttles. They won't 'break easy'.
    Other people really prefer the flexible shaft because it makes hitting shots easier (though theoretically not as precise). Head heavy rackets lack the speed of lighter rackets.

As you can see, there's a host of variables that define a good racket for you. Going with what the professionals use or what your friend uses is not a safe way to pick a racket.

5. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

yr frds r ranked.... but u r not.... beside that whats ranking got to do with choice of racket for u?

so as long the racket stiffness.. suits u... y u bother?

is yr frd using yr racket for u....or u r using for yrself?

sorry...boy ..hope that i dont sound too....rude..

the same example applies..u can ask lewis hamilton whats the best car..now.. he will say..maclaren F1..... but..does it suit u?.... i bet not....u will crash it..the very moment..u drive out..on road..

;)

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Pro players are more likely to use stiffer rackets as they play harder shots, so it will still feel similar in flex to when we play our shots.

With rackets you are best to just try and see what you feel like.

As for breaking easier....no afaik they are no less likely to break. Most rackets break on the head, notnshaft in any case.

7. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

Stiff rackets do not break easily, that would be a nightmare :p

Some of Team Forza was at the tournament with some swiss nationals, ranked at 1st place and men used to have stiff rackets, while some from England like to put extra grip on the bottom of the handle, thus making the Forzas headlight. Women used stiff and medium stiff rackets

8. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    it depends.. on the user

if the user is dink, then even some of the stiffest Yonex rackets would break easily :p

flexible racket would break easier than stiff racket IF you have the strength to bend the flexible racket till it break
    same as stiff racket, if you can bend it to the extreme then it would break

9. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

I could be wrong but I think the structural integrity has more to do with the shape, materials and QC than the stiffness. Also, professional players are far fitter and can handle stiffer and head heavier rackets than the majority of weekend warriors. The amateurs would be foolish trying to match what the pros do, imho anyway.

10. Cloud_CW

Cloud_CW Regular Member

Hmms.. it will be more foolish if u watch these pros plays and u don't want to learn from it lol. :D
    I always watch these pros tournament replay again and again till someone in the office said u watch so many times of these tournament replay. u till not getting boring with it?

11. sslam72

sslam72 Regular Member

I prefer stiffer racquets even though I don't have the hardest smash or fastest swing speed.

Although I haven't done so for years, I used to test racquets when I was younger and I always found I had the greatest control with a stiffer racquet irrespective of whether it was head heavy or head light.

However, you need to get the term "stiffness" into perspective. From my experience, the level of control improves with the stiffness of the head and not the shaft. The more stiff/solid/heavy the head, I found the racquet to be more forgiving during the occasional off-centre mishit, where I would still get good purchase and control of the shuttle.

These days, almost every modern middle/higher spec racquet will have a stiff head, but the shape and material used in its construction will give it additional attributes such as how much vibration it will absorb (which makes it more forgiving), how light/heavy the head is, how aerodynamic the head is etc.

If I have to be picky, in the case of a stiff but lighter headed racquet, then I found the racquet less forgiving with off-centre shots than a head heavy version.

The relative stiffness or flexibility of the shaft relates more to the strength, arm swing speed, wrist speed and technique of the player and their ability.

So for a player with a slower swing speed and a slower wrist action, then a flexible shaft will compensate the lack of power.

At the same time, some experienced doubles players prefer a light headed racquet with a flexible shaft as they can attack a shuttle with little head take-back during close quarter exchanges. In this situation, they generate their power from a quick punchy wrist action and the lighter head is less fatiguing.

I personally prefer a lightweight, stiff-head heavy racquet, with a stiff shaft to suit my mens doubles game but it's also perfect for the occasional singles match. This is why I've used an AT700 4U, with a super thin G5 grip. The pencil-thin grip allows me to rotate the racquet in my fingers to play a better disguised shot. And when I have time to go for a huge smash, I hold the bottom of the handle between the third and fourth finger (so my little finger has no contact with the handle). I also like the large isometric head with it's 22 x 22 string pattern and increased sweet spot over my previous non-isometric Carbonex 21SP.

Sadly, the AT700 4U is no more and I've now got a set of Voltric Z-force thingies in a 4U G5 model that I'm going to try tomorrow night.

My game is predicated on having a very strong, quick, whippy, punchy wrist action to compensate for my relatively slow swing speed. I wouldn't be able to consistently hit the shuttle in the same way with a 3U AT700 racquet....well perhaps in my youth, but I don't train anywhere near as hard as I should these days.

BTW. All racquets will break if the strings are too tight, or just badly strung and you've gone for a huge mis-hit. Likewise, a clash will also contribute to a breakage and it's less about how light/heavy/stiff the head is. It's just down to luck.