User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sslam72 View Post
    I admit that tipping feathers does require some degreee of dexterity, but nothing that most adults couldn't acquire with a little bit of practice on used shuttles. If you're not sure how to tip feathers, put the tip of your thumb (not the nail) on the inside of the feather and use the nail on the tip of your middle finger to clamp down on the outside of the feather, about 2 - 3mm from the tip.To slow the shuttle down slightly, clamp your nail down against your thumb with so as to crease the spine of the feather and bend outwards slightly. The more you flare out the bent tip the greater air resistance you'll get and the slower the shuttle will fly.If you're not experienced enough to gauge the impact on speed, tip one in every four feathers and do a speed test. If it's still too fast, then tip every other feather. Again if it's still too fast, then you'll need flare out more or result in tipping every feather, but that would be very rare.You can also make the shuttle slower by tipping 4 - 5mm from the end, but such a huge tip could slow the shuttle down far too much. Hence why I recommend tipping small and flaring out etc first.If you want the shuttle to speed up, put your thumb on the outside and nail on the inside of the feather and bend inwards.
    Tipping should really only be done when there is no alternative. It is always better to get the right speed to avoid doing unnecessary damage to the shuttle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said earlier, so many shuttles are now so inconsistent that if you put every shuttle to one side that wasn't at perfect speed for every different court, humidity level and temperature you'd have more shuttles put to one side than you could use.

If you tip it right, the shuttle still flies true and doesn't degrade any more quickly.

I would sooner play with a slower shuttle than one that flies out of the back of the court. Unfortunately, many clubs I play against like the idea of a super fast shuttle much to the detriment of the game.

At least you can argue that all things are equal for all players irrespective of how fast the shuttle may be, but it does spoil a game when the shuttle flies out of the back of the court by 2feet when you return a smash from 3/4s back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tipping is inevitable since we have highly variable consistency of shuttles. Conditions also impact on speed dramatically and we cant always buy 3 different speeds to avoid this as the costs would be too high.

You need to adjust your game slightly and tipping should be a last option though. Tipping if done incorrectly can make the shuttle oscillate, which ruins it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Staiger1 View Post
    I personally found speed 3 is ok or all conditions in UK , sometimes you just got to adjust your play and not the shuttle . Can I just asked what is the most durable feather shuttle ot you guys have come across. Because I noticed some need more frequent changing than other (some would last a whole game while the other lasts about 15-16 points) dependent on the length of rally .
    I tried steaming my AS20 shuttles for the first time last weekend and it really made a difference to the shuttle durability. One shuttle actually lasted 2 doubles games (although social games not club). I'm not sure how steaming affects the consistency of the shuttles though.

I've got some RSL tourney 3 (78) steamed for play tonight so I'll see how I get on with the faster speed shuttle. I expect that I will be hitting it long, since I've been doing that at a club that I've joined recently but I'm sure that I can refine my lifts and clears to fix that eventually

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I hate RSL shuttles. I find that they fall apart ridiculously easily.
    In terms of speed, I don't really have any problems with Yonex shuttles but they've got the same problem as RSL ones to me, except they fall apart at a slower rate.
    If you ask me, I'd say Ashaway or surprisngly, Wilson feather shuttles are good

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used Wilson before and I agree they aren't bad. I haven't tried Ashaway yet though so might give Ashaway 450 a go

Also, just to get back on topic I've gotten used to using faster shuttles (78/79) and it wasn't too hard to adjust after figuring it out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2