Watching womens singles great learning resource. Much prefer to watch myself

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bbirdman, Mar 31, 2012.

1. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

I find watching womens singles playing more interesting and informative. What I have learned from watching women play that I couldnt have from men:

The real value of attacking clears. Watching Tine Baun crack an attacking clear quite often putting opposition in instant trouble.

The high serve. The high serve should be main serve at lower levels.

Long handle grip for easier power generation. Women really make use of this they to seem to almost hold it at the butt.

Tactics aswell. Women seem to have more obvious strengths and weaknesses and have adjust their game as a result

Tine Baun being my favorite. :)

2. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i like to watch a good women singles game too - to learn for myself

i have noticed also that it looks much more like the singles play that I see in the league I play and the level of skill i wanna reach in future

3. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

I was following you right up until you said 'hold it at the butt' then my mind kinda wandered...:p

Joking aside I agree with you. The men's singles play is very impressive but as a learning tool it's so far from my standard of play that there's not much that I can take onboard.

If I want some inspiration for new techniques, point building or movement etc for my singles game I watch a match of women's singles.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

True, but it's kinda boring... all they do is clear... :p

5. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

" The high serve. The high serve should be main serve at lower levels."

I think this is very true for most amateurs who tried to replicate what professionals do only ended up with disadvantage w/o solid footwork.

6. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    Not if they clear wearing a skirt or dress, I am satisfied just to watch the "footwork"

I agree with the OP, a deep serve that comes straight down is quite effective at amateur level, it forces your opponent to generate all the pace hitting it back and quite often they make mistakes doing that.

7. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

At amateur level, they are not able to do clears properly thus resulting in 1/2 or 2/3 court clears which are easy to attack. Even intermediates have troubles doing consistent good deep length clears playing singles games. Do not underestimate clears, they are very energy consuming. Try to do 15 mins of good clears only rallies on warm-ups, each rally is min 15 shots from each side n u will see what i mean.;)

8. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

In fact, my coach used to enforce the 15-min clears only rallies before we start to do our drills but after we did our stretching exercises for warm ups. This was in Singapore Junior College team training sessions in the 80s. The clears should fall in between the 2 rear service lines and should not be able to be intercepted from someone standing in middle of the doubles service lines (front n rear).

9. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

Agreed about the clears, it's not just the exertion that goes into the shot but having to move from and then back to the base position. Do that a few times in a row and you start to feel it :)