Iskandar Zulkarnain

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by pajrul, Apr 1, 2012.

1. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

after todays performance, i shd say he deserve a thread of his own. although still a work in progress, that was a decent show of heart in that axiata cup semifinal against dh rumbaka. lets go iskandar, your time to start have arrived

2. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    Excellent fighting spirit. This Axiata cup done Iskandar good. Need more tournaments for this guy. He totally outshines Zulfadli in Axiata.

3. Hanjo

Hanjo Regular Member

In a hand of a good coach, he could go far. Sigh.. miss Misbun

4. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Iskandar Zulkarnain always had the talent, but just not enough opportunities to make a name for himself. Also, besides limited opportunities after being overshadowed by the 'senior 4', he also seems to have stamina problems, and loses focus during a match.

I rate Iskandar above Arif and Zulfadli!

5. forest

forest Regular Member

Engineer
    he is a unpolished diamond... just need is more exposure. His future is definite much better than any of Malayisa elite and backup players ....

6. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

I watched Iskandar play, he got do the most that what Zulfadli, Ramdan and Arif cannot do:
    Speed and Attack...

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Guys, How old is Iskandar ?

I really like the way Iskandar play, I had watched his match against Hayom on Axiata Cup...His mental strength is definitely there, he just need to get more tournament experience against all different kind of players...
    His strength is his mental, agility & defense....His power although quite something, adding a few more power would not harm anyway....

His clothing style is quite fancy... All of the spectators are booing him, due to his mental game during that match.. but i like it, and he did not let the spectators influence his style...Good mental..

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Iskandar is 21. So is Ramdan. I like Iskandar's playing style too
    Too bad Hendrawan didnt field Loh Wei Sheng (20, 2010 AJC runner up), I would like to see how he is progressing

9. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

loh wei sheng went for Finnish Open so cannot compete Axiata Cup...

10. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Loh Wei Sheng is beaten by 2nd seed Ville Lang on Quarter Final... Not a bad result...

11. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

hmm... the more the merrier... so now we have a good list of hopefuls... (after a long long wait) zulfadhli, misbun, iskandar and hopefully loh wei sheng....

12. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

loh wei sheng once played at his best during Youth Olympic at Singapore in 2010 as he reached semi final, only that time he got heavy injury although he was still keep on fight till the end...

13. eaglehelang

There is also Goh Soon Huat, their senior, 22 yr old. And the 3rd among the trio, Syawal, 21. Aft they graduated to senior stage, Syawal's result has been unimpressive, Ramdan & Iskandar at least got improve.

Pajrul, seems this thread better change name to Msia young back up MS

#13 eaglehelang, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  14. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Iskandar definitely deserve this thread. He was also impressive at the Asian juniors. And now , I think he has potential better than Ramdan.

With good coaching and BAM's support, he should be able to reach top 10 in 2 years time and maybe a top 5 player in the World.

15. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

or somebody should start a 'men's single hopefuls' thread or something

16. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    Dont mind if someone wants to starts thread for MAS youngsters/hopefuls etc....but eventually we still want to breakaway and threading on one single player...

This thread should stay by the way, Iskandar deserves it. Even Arif got his own thread :p

17. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    I also watched him against Hayom. Sure, he's fast, agressive, and powerful. But I'm not sure about good mental thingy...
    How on earth did he lost 10-12 points in a row? It is even worse than the so-called 'INA disease'. :eek:

18. eaglehelang

There is already a thread on Msia MD back-up, Msia back-up.

The Star Online > Sports
    Tuesday April 3, 2012
    Hendrawan to toughen up his charges in Europe meets
    PETALING JAYA: National men’s singles coach Hendrawan will use a two-week tournament in Europe to mould his raw talents into a more courageous and confident bunch.
    Yesterday, Hendrawan left with four of his charges – Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin, Misbun Ramdan Misbun, Goh Soon Huat and Loh Wei Sheng – for the French International (April 5-8) and the Dutch International (April 12-15).
    Iskandar and Misbun, representing Malaysian Leopards, did quite well in the recently-concluded Axiata Cup in Jakarta when they went down fighting to the higher-ranked Tommy Sugiarto and Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka respectively.
    The Leopards lost 3-0 to Indonesian Rajawali in the semi-final away leg.
    While admitting that his charges still have a long way to go, Hendrawan hopes to get them ready for the big stage when world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei finally retires after one last shot at ending the country’s wait for a world title at the 2013 World Championships.
    “The Axiata Cup has given our youngsters some quality matches and opportunities to gauge where they stand. It is, however, obvious that they still lack experience. They do know how to handle the situations at crucial stages,” said Hendrawan.
    “But this can be mastered over time. They are talented but immature right now. Given the right guidance and coaching, these players will be ripe for big stage. I do not want to force feed them as they are not ready yet. Let’s give them a little more time to mature into great players.”
    Hendrawan is happy that Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) are giving these players more opportunities to compete abroad.
    “These European tournaments will be a good platform for them to achieve small breakthroughs. We have also earmarked several other tournaments for them throughout this year. Their task this year is to put pressure on the seniors like Liew Daren, Chan Kwong Beng, Mohd Arif Abdul Latif and Chong Wei Feng,” he said.
    “I have made it clear to them that no one will be accorded special preferences. They have to earn the right to play in tournaments and make their way up. My promise is that I will support them as long as they are committed to giving their best.”

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2012/4/3/sports/11037288.asp&sec=sports

19. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Well, he did play really well throughout 3 games of match against Hayom, considering he played with a player which is far more experience than him, & he played on Hayom home soil.

On 3rd set, where he lost 12 points in a row, i do not say that he lost focus or suddenly his mental went down. On that 12 points given to Hayom, some of the rally are quite long, some of the points also contributed to his unforced errors as well, although not many; however Hayom is slightly better & patient player on those rallies. There are some occasions on which Iskandar has better chance to end the rally, however he is not patient enough, then the ball went out or hit the tape, & some rallies ended up, because hayom good defense which is unexpected by Iskandar, & he just did not have enough time to recover.

In conclusion, It is not that easy for Hayom to take 12 points in a row, Hayom did struggle & Iskandar fought back..

20. eaglehelang