User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 20
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Video of Pronation

    I just came across a tennis pronation video. The coach demonstrates the motion without the racket, and I thought it would help people trying to understand the motion itself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuWYn...eature=related

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Doesnt pronation come naturally when hitting a shuttle anyway?

  3. #3
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,796
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    To some degree yes but just like footwork it needs to be developed further (and for some it comes more naturally than others, like throwing a ball) ... If it came naturally in perfect fashion you wouldn't be panhandling in the first place

    (unless you forget your comment already: "grip is wrong. contact point is off centre and too low. body facing wrong way. not pronating. follow through is bad.")

    We already have a perfectly good vid to illustrate right here thanks to thejym (step 3 is where you need to work on most)

    Last edited by demolidor; 04-01-2012 at 01:40 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,796
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    *never mind the nunchuks*
    Last edited by demolidor; 04-01-2012 at 01:57 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    To some degree yes but just like footwork it needs to be developed further (and for some it comes more naturally than others, like throwing a ball) ... If it came naturally in perfect fashion you wouldn't be panhandling in the first place

    (unless you forget your comment already: "grip is wrong. contact point is off centre and too low. body facing wrong way. not pronating. follow through is bad.")

    We already have a perfectly good vid to illustrate right here thanks to thejym (step 3 is where you need to work on most)

    This is a good video I first saw and used but caution the grip is too loose! The forefinger and thumb should be wrapped more around the handle and the palm of hand should be more on racket.
    As a result of using this grip my grip kept slipping to easily to panhandle while executing the stroke!

  6. #6
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,606
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^^ huh? don't you quickly tighten your grip just before striking the bird? ... either that or you need tackier over grip

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When you tighten your grip it slipped to panhandle because panhandle was the grip I was previously before.
    Im sharing my experience of using this vid as somebody who can now do overheads correctly.
    Also if you look at lots of images of pro badminton players showing before they hit the shuttle at various stages of their stroke none of them use a grip as loose as in the vid.
    Also none of the 4 coaches I know grip the racket as loose or any experienced player I have come across.
    The good thing I did find about the grip is the ability of rapid grip changes.
    So visor you smart arsed uneducated comments are unhelpful.
    Last edited by bbirdman; 04-01-2012 at 02:42 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think grip tightening generally should be a more subtle thing that makes the racket pause on hitting it. Not a sudden grip change before contact.
    Although having seen the poster it clearly work for him as hes very good player and the rest of vid is very good in my opinion.

  9. #9
    Regular Member thejym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    389
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbirdman View Post
    I think grip tightening generally should be a more subtle thing that makes the racket pause on hitting it. Not a sudden grip change before contact.
    Although having seen the poster it clearly work for him as hes very good player and the rest of vid is very good in my opinion.
    You are correct in that no one actually grips it as loosely as demonstrated in the grip section of the video above (not even myself!) when they play. However, it's my personal teaching style to exaggerate what I think to be new concepts to beginners (my target audience), especially with the finer details that may be hard to see. As you will see in the demo swings later in the video, I'm not actually gripping it as loosely as initially shown (although I have seen good players who do).

    I will be the first to say that my video is not perfect -- it's good that you examine things with a critical eye. If I were to remake this video, I would likely include my responses to the many issues that people have when they first try this stroke. In particular, many people tell me that their grip rotates in their hand when they swing, which means they still haven't fully grasped all aspects of stroke or haven't found that balance in the swing. Gripping the handle tightly might cover up the issue but doesn't solve it. You can still have a relaxed grip on the handle without feeling like the swing causes the racket to rotate inside your hand -- if I can do this with just my thumb and pinky holding the handle, clearly the tightness of the grip is not the main issue.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When under pressure I still end resorting to a more panhandle grip but its getting better but for me its been very hard! I did think of for a good few sessions taping my hand to the racket! .
    For a long time I didn't know I was doing it.
    Thanks for the response thejym.

  11. #11
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,606
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbirdman View Post
    So visor you smart arsed uneducated comments are unhelpful.
    Oh I'm so sorry to have wasted your time ... I'll just crawl back to where I belong now. And if you don't understand a light hearted remark with a smiley face at the end and can get so easily offended by what could've been helpful suggestions, then may I suggest you get out more often. /unsubscribed
    Last edited by visor; 04-01-2012 at 05:13 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    sorry visor

  13. #13
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,606
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hey bbirdman, no harm no foul. . I'll be more careful with my off the cuff replies, as i often forget that we often can't detect the tone of voice while communicating over the Internet. Let's start over.

  14. #14
    Regular Member axl886's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Shouldn't it be "no harm no FOWL" instead?

    Peace to all.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I could be very wrong here but I couldn't help but noticed the type of movement advocated by Coach Zhao Jian Hua in his video series, the movements seem to be lacking in hand pronation. He emphasizes on wrist movement instead, a short burst of speed by tightening the grip.

    Also, there seems to be a lack of following through at the end of the swing...

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dimiberbs View Post
    I could be very wrong here but I couldn't help but noticed the type of movement advocated by Coach Zhao Jian Hua in his video series, the movements seem to be lacking in hand pronation. He emphasizes on wrist movement instead, a short burst of speed by tightening the grip.

    Also, there seems to be a lack of following through at the end of the swing...
    Coach Zhao and Coach lee have the best demonstration of correct technique. Idk why people are concerned about the technicalities of the stroke instead ..well just the correct technique. I've been playing badminton 2 years now and trust me i tried every method of stroke and then finally i got a good coach , a state player in my country and he taught me the correct way. The no 1 rule of all stroke is being relaxed which means the handle is relaxed in the fingers not palm and then use forward motion only wrist action . I've seen kids aged 9 hit better smashes than adults and don't tell me they know of pronation. Is all about being relaxed. Trust me on this.

  17. #17
    Regular Member thejym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    389
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zackster View Post
    Coach Zhao and Coach lee have the best demonstration of correct technique. Idk why people are concerned about the technicalities of the stroke instead ..well just the correct technique. I've been playing badminton 2 years now and trust me i tried every method of stroke and then finally i got a good coach , a state player in my country and he taught me the correct way. The no 1 rule of all stroke is being relaxed which means the handle is relaxed in the fingers not palm and then use forward motion only wrist action . I've seen kids aged 9 hit better smashes than adults and don't tell me they know of pronation. Is all about being relaxed. Trust me on this.
    I can't say that two years is enough time to have learned everything. I've been playing much longer than that and I am still learning. Do try to keep an open mind!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Beast pronation video
    By myic90 in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 3
    : 08-17-2011, 11:14 AM
  2. pronation?
    By gamepurpose in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 3
    : 06-08-2009, 12:54 AM
  3. badminton drills video: forearm pronation
    By mkwanster in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 78
    : 01-10-2008, 08:58 PM
  4. pronation
    By Wil in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 27
    : 04-28-2005, 08:52 AM
  5. Pronation
    By sean in forum General Forum
    Replies: 10
    : 04-09-2002, 05:22 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •