Video of Pronation

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by J_Noodles, Apr 1, 2012.

1. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

2. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Doesnt pronation come naturally when hitting a shuttle anyway?

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

To some degree yes but just like footwork it needs to be developed further (and for some it comes more naturally than others, like throwing a ball) ... If it came naturally in perfect fashion you wouldn't be panhandling in the first place ;)

(unless you forget your comment already: "grip is wrong. contact point is off centre and too low. body facing wrong way. not pronating. follow through is bad.")

We already have a perfectly good vid to illustrate right here thanks to thejym (step 3 is where you need to work on most)

[video=youtube;HNVC5PVJyPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ&amp[/video]

#3 demolidor, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

*never mind the nunchuks*

#4 demolidor, Apr 1, 2012
  5. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

This is a good video I first saw and used but caution the grip is too loose! The forefinger and thumb should be wrapped more around the handle and the palm of hand should be more on racket.
    As a result of using this grip my grip kept slipping to easily to panhandle while executing the stroke!

6. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ huh? don't you quickly tighten your grip just before striking the bird? ... either that or you need tackier over grip ;)

7. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

When you tighten your grip it slipped to panhandle because panhandle was the grip I was previously before.
    Im sharing my experience of using this vid as somebody who can now do overheads correctly.
    Also if you look at lots of images of pro badminton players showing before they hit the shuttle at various stages of their stroke none of them use a grip as loose as in the vid.
    Also none of the 4 coaches I know grip the racket as loose or any experienced player I have come across.
    The good thing I did find about the grip is the ability of rapid grip changes.
    So visor you smart arsed uneducated comments are unhelpful.

#7 bbirdman, Apr 1, 2012
  8. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

I think grip tightening generally should be a more subtle thing that makes the racket pause on hitting it. Not a sudden grip change before contact.
    Although having seen the poster it clearly work for him as hes very good player and the rest of vid is very good in my opinion.

9. thejym

thejym Regular Member

You are correct in that no one actually grips it as loosely as demonstrated in the grip section of the video above (not even myself!) when they play. However, it's my personal teaching style to exaggerate what I think to be new concepts to beginners (my target audience), especially with the finer details that may be hard to see. As you will see in the demo swings later in the video, I'm not actually gripping it as loosely as initially shown (although I have seen good players who do).

I will be the first to say that my video is not perfect -- it's good that you examine things with a critical eye. If I were to remake this video, I would likely include my responses to the many issues that people have when they first try this stroke. In particular, many people tell me that their grip rotates in their hand when they swing, which means they still haven't fully grasped all aspects of stroke or haven't found that balance in the swing. Gripping the handle tightly might cover up the issue but doesn't solve it. You can still have a relaxed grip on the handle without feeling like the swing causes the racket to rotate inside your hand -- if I can do this with just my thumb and pinky holding the handle, clearly the tightness of the grip is not the main issue.

10. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

When under pressure I still end resorting to a more panhandle grip but its getting better but for me its been very hard! I did think of for a good few sessions taping my hand to the racket! ;).
    For a long time I didn't know I was doing it.
    Thanks for the response thejym.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Oh I'm so sorry to have wasted your time ... I'll just crawl back to where I belong now. And if you don't understand a light hearted remark with a smiley face at the end and can get so easily offended by what could've been helpful suggestions, then may I suggest you get out more often. /unsubscribed

#11 visor, Apr 1, 2012
  12. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

sorry visor

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Hey bbirdman, no harm no foul. :). I'll be more careful with my off the cuff replies, as i often forget that we often can't detect the tone of voice while communicating over the Internet. Let's start over. :)

14. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

Shouldn't it be "no harm no FOWL" instead? :D

Peace to all.

15. dimiberbs

dimiberbs Regular Member

student
    I could be very wrong here but I couldn't help but noticed the type of movement advocated by Coach Zhao Jian Hua in his video series, the movements seem to be lacking in hand pronation. He emphasizes on wrist movement instead, a short burst of speed by tightening the grip.

Also, there seems to be a lack of following through at the end of the swing...

16. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    Coach Zhao and Coach lee have the best demonstration of correct technique. Idk why people are concerned about the technicalities of the stroke instead ..well just the correct technique. I've been playing badminton 2 years now and trust me i tried every method of stroke and then finally i got a good coach , a state player in my country and he taught me the correct way. The no 1 rule of all stroke is being relaxed which means the handle is relaxed in the fingers not palm and then use forward motion only wrist action . I've seen kids aged 9 hit better smashes than adults and don't tell me they know of pronation. Is all about being relaxed. Trust me on this.

17. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I can't say that two years is enough time to have learned everything. I've been playing much longer than that and I am still learning. Do try to keep an open mind!

18. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    Yes i am aware two years is not enough time to learn but with correct method time may be reduced significantly. My coach had been training since he was 5 years old by a coach from china and till now he keeps saying the same thing never use your arm.Only fingers and wrist and i've seen them in action just little movements with wrist and fingers. Note that i'm not stating my years of experience in badminton in whole but experience on how long it took to understand stroke production and proper technique with the aid of a good coach

#18 Zackster, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  19. thejym

thejym Regular Member

If you can get a short video of him doing some overhead swings, I would like to judge for myself. You can even take the video to capture the back of his head if you don't want to reveal his identity.

20. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    I would if i had the time. He usually plays and trains state players together with the head coach(who is a talent scout). I won't reveal his identity without his permission first and he doesn't really like being on camera(i've asked him before) but i will tell you that he has fought against international players like nick kidd from england who was a former england national player, lee tseun seng of malaysia and had trained with a former malaysian national doubles player. I try will ask him for a video when i get time to visit again i promise

#20 Zackster, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012