Playing singles the 'old style'?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Caarl, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    By old style I mean instead of hammering the shuttle as hard as you can at the first available moment i'm talking about moving your opponent around the court, back to front, fast deceptive drops and deceptive lifts rather than smashing.

What do you guys think of this type of play?

When I play people who smash really fast I can defend a singles court with great ease and find this type of play suits me. Especially because in the second I can mix it up and come out really aggressive, taking shuttles round the net really early, with quick powerful smashes.

Thoughts on playing old-style?

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Moving people around and using deception and change of pace is still the style of singles now.

Recreational players used to playing doubles perhaps use power from anywhere and everywhere in their singles games because they don't see how dangerously out of position it puts them.
    Professionals use power shots from more places than we average mortals because they can get there to do it and still recover for the return.

So, your style isn't out of style at all -- except perhaps with your recent opponents. ;)

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

very true!
    watch LCW and LD!
    of course they can smash like hell, but most of the time they just move around, try to outmanouvre their opponents and wait for their chances. and when the best 2 palyers play that style, it can't be that old-fashioned...;-)

4. fauci

fauci Regular Member

For the non-pros, the "old-style" of play is the most technically demanding. Most people would smash or hit the shuttle really hard to finish off, because they simply are not able to keep the choices or sustain continous running on the court due to poor footwork and hitting accuracy.

5. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    I do believe that the 'old style' of singles is still the same today. The 4 point or 4 corner style of singles with a sudden change of pace. Only now the players have more deception and power due to the racquet technology. They can hold and flick easily and accurately. Add to that the more advance training techniques like plyometrics, players nowadays, especially the pros can just explode out of nowhere and smash like hell. But still the right way to play singles is to out maneuver the opponent, or else you'll burn yourself out if you keep on attacking, not even Lin Dan does that.. :D

6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Additionally todays singles games are more aggresive / harder because no mistakes goes unpunished w/ rally point system. The shots are played lower (attacking clears) n quicker body movements.

7. Mr.H.

Mr.H. Regular Member

Student
    It's the only style of play that suits me lol. I'm not that tall nor that physically imposing (e.g. big smashes/power play). And from my junior years (when I started playing badminton) the coach who trained me is a veteran toplevel national/international player with sublime technique and disguise in his shots. So I guess he kind of 'drilled' me to play with disguise/drops/changes of pace/(disguised) net shots and lifts/outmanouvering your opponent. So I rarely smash in a singles game(only when I'm 99% sure it's a winning shot).
    In doubles I use my smash/flat drives a lot more to stay offensive in different situations but even then I prefer to win the point with (disguised) drops of outplaying my opponent at the net.