User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default lots of broken grommets

    Ok so let's say you are stringing someone else's racquet and there are a lot of broken grommets but you don't have the time to change all of the broken ones, which holes would be the most important?

    I assume the first few mains are very important and shared holes too but since I don't really have any stringing experience, I would like your input

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany / Karlsruhe
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    at 12, 3 and 9 o'clock and shared ones (if the string cuts into the frame. like this picture in this thread)...
    what's dirty but helps sometimes (sometimes!) is to rotate the grommets about 90 degree (not the shared!).
    if i get a racket to string i'm immediately checking the frame and the grommets. if there is anything broken i'm telling him what it costs and what can happen when i don't change the grommets or that the frame can break (if there is a crack on the frame) and ask him what should i do.

    at home i check the cracks on the frame with a cheap usb-microscope. if i don't have the time to check all these things i don't promise him to string the racket until tommorow or today...
    here are some pictures from the usb-microscope (it also helps to easily find broken grommets):
    Name:  120320223438865867.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  269.4 KBName:  120320223527915445.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  256.8 KBName:  120330213852101702886.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  112.8 KBName:  120330213907101717831.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  96.5 KBName:  120330214303101954188.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  110.7 KB

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    816
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    wow...so professional n detail

    can change racket rite?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Flyoverland, USA
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    These pics are fascinating, Alex82. Would love to know how often you see cracking like this - esp. how often you find it with the scope and not your naked eye.

    You're setting a new standard for diligence!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    869
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I usually change or rotate grommets for free for all my string jobs. After all, these things cost almosts nothing and people are thankful. If I don't have the time to do it, I just do it another time :P

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    I usually change or rotate grommets for free for all my string jobs. After all, these things cost almosts nothing and people are thankful. If I don't have the time to do it, I just do it another time :P
    What tool do you usually use to rotate the grommets? I have a hard time these days rotating grommets from those rackets where ppl string say beyond 28lbs or so...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    869
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I use the grommet replacement tool from Eagnas to pop the grommet out, then use a pair of pliers to turn the grommet around and the grommet replacement tool again to push it back in.
    http://www.eagnas.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=61

    That tool is great just for this, because it does not damage the grommets. I hate saying this, because I hate that company, but the tool works well and I'm glad I bought it. I'm sure there are other alternatives though.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany / Karlsruhe
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
    These pics are fascinating, Alex82. Would love to know how often you see cracking like this - esp. how often you find it with the scope and not your naked eye.
    i find a crack in the frame every ~15 rackets. often i see a small crack in the paint, but with naked eyes you often can't differ from a crack in the paint or in the frame...

    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    I usually change or rotate grommets for free for all my string jobs. After all, these things cost almosts nothing and people are thankful. If I don't have the time to do it, I just do it another time :P
    yes true... grommets costs almost nothing, but stringing a racket costs also almost nothing... only the time you spend... if you look at the grommets carefully and maybe change them you need a "lot" of time... a replace of the grommets on another time can be the next day you gave the racket back to his owner...


    Quote Originally Posted by redskins009 View Post
    What tool do you usually use to rotate the grommets? I have a hard time these days rotating grommets from those rackets where ppl string say beyond 28lbs or so...
    if possible i use a (closed) pliers to pop the grommet from inside out. if this don't work i must change the grommet anyway...

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This isnt a real story but I really liked your replies, especially yan.v's and Alex82's.
    Amount of grommets isn't a problem as I ordered in packs of 600 from MBS... I just figured if someone ever brought me a racquet that has A LOT of broken grommets and wanted it for the next day, it could be tricky.

    I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to order that grommet removing tool next time I order strings from MBS

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    869
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah if someone is in a hurry, then it might be a good idea to just change the most damaged grommets and the most important ones. But if you're fast this process can really only take a couple of minutes (5ish) with that tool.

    For those people, you can charge the grommets for the trouble hehe

    Here, the sports shops who charge for grommets charge 0.25 $ per grommet.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    I use the grommet replacement tool from Eagnas to pop the grommet out, then use a pair of pliers to turn the grommet around and the grommet replacement tool again to push it back in.
    http://www.eagnas.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=61

    That tool is great just for this, because it does not damage the grommets. I hate saying this, because I hate that company, but the tool works well and I'm glad I bought it. I'm sure there are other alternatives though.
    Victor and Yonex also sell grommet replacement tool. Mine is a Yonex one which I purchased two months ago from shuttlehouse for $56. It has both tennis and badminton pins however it does not have the "reserve pin" position on the tool itself like Eagnas. The build quality seems to be better than the Eagnas counterpart and it does save a lot of time when I insert/extract a lot of grommets. Another happy buyer

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blableblibloblu View Post
    This isnt a real story but I really liked your replies, especially yan.v's and Alex82's.
    Amount of grommets isn't a problem as I ordered in packs of 600 from MBS... I just figured if someone ever brought me a racquet that has A LOT of broken grommets and wanted it for the next day, it could be tricky.

    I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to order that grommet removing tool next time I order strings from MBS
    I guess in some cases BROKEN grommets were better than NO grommets. I once had a guy brought me a racquet with more than half of the grommets missing

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    I use the grommet replacement tool from Eagnas to pop the grommet out, then use a pair of pliers to turn the grommet around and the grommet replacement tool again to push it back in.
    http://www.eagnas.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=61

    That tool is great just for this, because it does not damage the grommets. I hate saying this, because I hate that company, but the tool works well and I'm glad I bought it. I'm sure there are other alternatives though.
    The Eagnas one can get rusty and the materials are scrap metal even though it works fine. For the same price, you could have got the Victor one which is better made.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    869
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by istringforyou View Post
    The Eagnas one can get rusty and the materials are scrap metal even though it works fine. For the same price, you could have got the Victor one which is better made.
    The main problem is to find them for us americans. Took me 5 minutes to find the Yonex one, and it was on a japanese site. Still haven't found a link to Victor's.

    If you type Grommet Replacement Tool, Eagnas comes first and the price is pretty decent (20$). So far, it's working without any problem (1 year old, probably 2 years considering most of Eagnas' crap is sold used :P)

    I would gladly have bought Victor's or Yonex's, but it's just almost impossible to find. It's not even on their price lists for stores here :P

Similar Threads

  1. FS/FT Lots of rackets
    By illusionistpro in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 5
    : 10-12-2009, 03:33 PM
  2. Do I need lots of muscle
    By binton in forum General Forum
    Replies: 15
    : 04-24-2009, 10:34 AM
  3. Broken Grommets
    By mentholatum132 in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 5
    : 01-09-2009, 09:52 PM
  4. Sunken / broken grommets on Yonex Aerotus 55
    By llpjlau in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 17
    : 09-27-2007, 11:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •