Question for stringers

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by david14700, Aug 6, 2003.

1. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I've got a stringing machine with a 2-point clamping system (at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions), but when I use the same tension on the cross and main strings, the racket head becomes very narrow.

If I try to put in the 2lb difference between the main and cross strings, it becomes even worse.

Has anyone else had this problem with 2 clamp machines and have you come up with a solution?

To keep the same shape of head, I need to actually REDUCE the tension on the cross strings by 2-3 lbs from the tension on the main strings.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmmm... Here are some possibilities:

1. When u mount the racket, u over stretched the head frame too much?

2. Check the clamps u using. If too loose, it's going to effect the main string tension more than the cross (for cross, u already formed the "box", easier to be clamped)

3. Before u knoting the string, make sure u hold the tension well (well clamp the last string).

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

You're not stringing the crosses before the mains are you?
    (sorry if you think it's a stupid question, but you never know)

Does it only happen on Iso frames or on ovals also?
    Does it happen to all rackets or do you only have one?
    If only one, what is it?

What sort of tensions are you stringing at?

4. david14700

No, I always do the mains first and the racket seems fine, but as soon as I do the cross strings, the head starts to become narrow.

I would have thought the tension in the main strings would keep the racket head from becoming narrow as they would pull in the head against the tension from the cross strings. Could it be the main strings are actually stretching as I'm doing the cross strings?

I have the ovals (older models) and isometric heads, Ti-10, SP, and MP99. It does seem to be much worse with the isometric heads.

I've strung about half a dozen rackets and keep running into this problem.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: reply

How do u know the racket is fine after u only string the main? U actually took it off from the mount and look? Also, if u just string the main, isn't the frame should be a little bit "fat" instead of "normal"?

If yeah, I don't think that's a good idea. I think u should leave it to be mounted, until u finished both main and cross. The reason is, once u took it off before u r done, u might change the mounting position (different tension against frame now), and that will result into the final tension being varied.

6. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Are you unmounting the racquet after doing the main strings? If you do that, it will definitely make the racquet into a funny shape.

Also, two-point stringing machines do have a tendency to do this because nothing is holding the frame to prevent it from expanding or contracting.

7. david14700

No, I'm not removing it from the mounts after I do the main strings. I've seen a demo by a professional stringer of what happens. The tension from mains turn the frame into a perfect circle, and it cracks at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

But when I've finished doing the mains, I can look at the frame while it's on the mounts, and it looks as it did before I started stringing, i.e. it's the same shape as it is when it's unstrung. The mounts keep the frame from contracting under the tension of the main strings.

It's only when I start doing the cross strings, that I can see the frame starting to 'narrow' sideways. I'm sure this shouldn't happen, and I can't understand why the tension in the main strings don't keep the frame the same shape.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    When u string the cross, did u ever attempt to use ur hand to push the weight? If so, u are adding extra tension on the cross string.

Just some wild guess.

9. Neil Nicholls

which end do you start stringing the crosses from? By the shaft or from the top of the racquet?

There are some other threads in here somewhere that say you should start from the top (which then requires 4 knots rather than 2)

What sort of tensions are you stringing at? 20lb? 25lb? 30lb?

10. david14700

I start from the middle of the racket on the main strings, working outwards one string at a time, alternate sides.

On the cross strings, I start from the top of the racket and work down towards the shaft end.

I usually string at about 22lbs, though I have gone as hight as 28lbs. The same thing happens though, regardless of tension.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Or, when u attempt to tying the knots, due to improper method, lose sig. amount of tension?

Since for cross, the 1st knot is tied before the actual string process, u only have 1 chance to lose tension. For main, u have twice as much chances. Also, with the position, the last string of main tend to lose tension much easier than the last cross (limited clamping angle, etc)

12. david14700

Losing tension while tying off was one of the first things that occurred to me, but I have pretty good technique. I was taught to string by a really experienced certified professional, so I'm pretty confident I'm doing everything correctly. Also, I clip the string as close to the last hole as I can, so there is very little string left to lose tension after the tie off. Unfortunately, the guy who taught me as now moved to Hong Kong.

I'm going to try mounting the racket a little inside the frame (so that it's a little bit fatter to begin with) and maybe that will take up the pressure when I do the cross strings and make the final shape more balanced.

13. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    I assume the racquets that you are stringing are regular racquets? Nothing special?

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: reply

I guess that's the only thing u can try now, since u r very confident about ur technique. Usually, I have to do the opposite way, to make sure the racket won't be "fatter" after both main and cross, but maybe ur case is just the 180' opposite.

Please keep us updated, after ur next experiement.

15. Neil Nicholls

another way to check if you're losing tension while stringing the mains is to put some marks on the strings as they are strung and see if they have moved by the time you finish the mains.