lining phoenix shuttle

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by lora-china, Apr 4, 2012.

1. lora-china

lora-china Regular Member

2. jackyche

jackyche Regular Member

I bought 3 tubes of the PN3000. Here are my thoughts .... (in summary, no good).

1. Feathers are the thin cheap ones. So not durable at all.
    2. Flight is perfectly fine, just like the regular ones.
    3. Replacement is a pain and flawed (more on this later)
    4. Overall, minor cost savings.

1. If high quality durable feathers were used in there, my conclusion may be different. But as it stands, you'll go through individual feathers like mad.

2. Flight is great and virtually indistinguishable from 'tradition' feather shuttles.

3. Replacing the feathers is a lousy experience due to the poor manufacturing tolerances. When replacing the feathers, you have to take one out of a 'sacrificial' shuttle. But because of the left over 'crap' on the stem of the feather, its very difficult to remove it from the plastic ring. And you kinda have to pull fairly hard to get it out. The problem is, by doing that, there's a good chance you damage the feather because you squeezed too hard to get it out. Thereby just wasting a feather for no good reason.

4. You'll end up breaking 2 or 3 feathers during a regular game. Which pisses everybody off because your shuttle lasts like 8 points tops. And it looks like you're using crap shuttles while everyone else on the doubles game is donating good ones.

So I use these with my young kids now.

3. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

yup, there was an old thread about it a while ago. The PN1000 is better than the PN3000 but not much though :p

4. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    Agreed. I have 3 tubes of PN1000. They do last longer for me (about 1 set per shuttle is no problem) but the main problem is that replacing the feathers is a pain in the ass. You can never make a "broken" shuttle as good as new because with the replacing you damage the feathers and plastic ring 90% of the times.
    If they would make the feathers "cleaner" (more smooth) it would be a lot better, but I guess the hold isn't strong enough when you do that.

Really nice idea, but it still needs some finetuning.