VIDEO: Stringing ARC10PG + BG80 @ 26lbs with fixed clamps - 24mins

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Apr 4, 2012.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is my first video using my spanking new Gamma 6004! i have done around a dozen racket on it now and have started getting used to the clamps. the flow is still a bit clumpsy but this stringjob went smoothly and i managed to pull it off in 24mins.

i will probably do the time analysis just like before and see where i am slower. i think the mains process was a mess. cross actually ok.

[video=youtube;0Pvn21N-YtE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pvn21N-YtE[/video]

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    argh. i screwed up the end credits. rolled away too fast. ah well..

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Clamping could be closer to the frame but all good things take time :).

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes, master Pete.

but on which strings?

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Mostly the main strings . . .

You picked up where to orient the direction of the fixed clamp lever as you approached either ends of the frame when you were pulling the main strings - this is a good sign.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I shall leap to kwun's defense and say that the Gamma clamps have very fat arses, preventing them from getting as close to the frame is I, for example, would like until the levers face inward. I make a point of switching the lever direction as soon as there's room to avoid collision (usually by the ninth main).

One thing I did notice: the last main is left clamped for quite a while before tying off; I always tie off immediately the last main is pulled for minimum tension loss. Just my preference - it may all be in my head.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Also, I badly want some of those sidecutters:D.

Also also, those Gamma base locking levers have huge travel!

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    they are sweet. i have a few i use for modeling. this one is not even the best/sharpest one (in fact, the worst of the bunch but good enough for cutting strings)

sigh. yes. it is and the level is long too. can't exactly expect Yonex/Toyo quality clamp bases, short lever, short travel, buttery smooth, light action and holds like a rock. i get what i paid for!

the action is actually ok light, not much worse than Yonex. i had to adjust it down, when it come from factory it was really tight.

9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Mine are really hard to lock too :(

I tried to see if there was any way to loose it down, but it seems all the resistance comes from a spring -_-

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the resistance should either come from a conical or a flat (washer) locking mechanism. the 6004 is a conical mechanism and there is a little screw to adjust how hard it locks. i figured the factory setting is for tennis and i don't need to deal with such high locking force. now the action is very light.

11. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

The Gamma clamp bases are huge indeed. The new Gamma clamps seems a little fatter than the previous version too. I am very sure there is no problem flushing the clamps to the frame using the very very slim profiled old clamps from my experience using them. Perhaps the new fatter clamps are to blame to. Clamping as close to the frame as possible is kinda crucial in reducing drawbacks and tension loss.