Racket abuse warning?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Jason123, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

The most stupid thing ive ever heard ( only just heard about it now and found out it has been a rule for quite a while )

So what if M.Boe smashed his racket on the floor when he was angry and destroyed it, it doesnt affect the game in any way

:mad::confused:

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Cuz it's unsportsmanlike?

3. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

If i was one of the Koreans and I saw Boe do that I would be laughing my arse off,

4. phili

phili Regular Member

This rule doesn't exist because such behaviour distracts other players. It's more like a bad image on badminton if people start running around smashing their rackets.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If someone starts having a hissy fit, it does distract the opponent. It delays the game. It is disrespectful to the officials, mortifying to the audience, and generally degrading to the player himself.
    Bad behaviour should always have consequences.

6. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

In sport the professional's behaviour often sets the standard for what's acceptable in the amateur game. Do you really want to see people throwing their rackets in league play and club nights?

7. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

agreed

Gasp!! Delays the game??? Well then it's a good thing we punish this. Imagine if players in Badminton were allowed to constantly delay the game!! (Go ahead imagine it.... it's not that hard actually:rolleyes:)

Hmm, disrespectful to the officials? I don't really see that. As a member of the audience watching numerous incidents where a player smashed his racquet I have a hard time believing anyone in the audience would feel mortified. And if they did, then I suspect they have bigger mental issues than the player in question. You do know the meaning of 'mortified' right? Degrading? wow you certainly like to use strong vocabulary don't you? I have a hard time describing any such player as degraded.

Absolutely, I actually don't have a problem with warnings for any of the minor offences in badminton. By far the biggest issue I have with them is the arbitrary way in which some of these minor rules in badminton are enforced.

8. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

probably the player should get a warning for it

becox its not a rock concert n u need not damage yr equipment for your fans to see..

even though its FOC from your equipment sponsors.

9. thunder.tw

Seriously? You've never seen anyone throw their racquet to the ground? Lucky you. Granted I don't see it often but, it does happen.

10. thunder.tw

Hey this topic reminds me. Does anyone here remember what Lin Dan received for throwing his racquet at that Korean (if I remember correctly) coach?

11. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ really?! when was that? i'd like to see that on youtube ... :p

12. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

That's like an American football player throwing his helmet down in frustration. He'll get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

That's what it is, an unsportsmanlike conduct. If the racket breaks, I'm going straight for the red card, if it's repeated, I will call the referee over to monitor and a black card may be given if his temper hasn't cooled. It shows that you have a temper and that's not is what's supposed to happen.

You can also get yellow carded for tossing your racket up high and catching it. It is dangerous and usually is done when someone loses a point.

Also, I reember Fischer-Nielsen tossed his racket up (not super high) and let it drop to the ground cause he was upset with the line judge's call. He was immediately given a yellow.

13. thunder.tw

14. CantSmashThis

#14 CantSmashThis, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  15. thunder.tw

That's what I mean by enforcement. One would think that an action that could get you arrested would cost you the match.

16. CantSmashThis

17. CantSmashThis

Sorry for double posting,

but even if the referee didn't give him the black card for that, I would have gone, Lin Dan, come here, fault for misconduct. Game. Match won by Hyun-il Lee 23-21. End of story.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

19. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    It may seem like destroying a racket out of anger and frustration may not seem to affect the game very much, but like others have said it's unsportsmanlike conduct. It creates a lot of tension in the match which could affect your partner if you're playing in doubles. When you're a professional, you have to have standards to abide by regarding behavior. You wouldn't want everyone in professional sports to be brats and complain about every little thing would you? That's why these rules are in place so people don't act immature, not to mention breaking a racket is also bad for the image of badminton as a whole.

The same goes for tennis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kS68T6ptA

Marcos Baghdatis breaks 4 rackets in a row. He does not have a racket sponsor mainly because of his attitude and behavior just like this, he's a bad image for tennis and for the company that sponsors him (he was formerly world #8). He was lucky to just get a warning and not lose a point or a game with the number of rackets he smashed in one sitting. Essentially though, it's the same situation for tennis and badminton. I can assure you though that I see it a LOT less in badminton than I do in tennis.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Any form of outburst and display/demonstration of violence should not be tolerated

Any form of outburst and display/demonstration of violence should not be tolerated.

If I were in the audience, I would boo at him.

If I were his opponent, I would pack up my bag and leave the court immediately.

If I were the umpire, I would conclude the match as finished/over straight away.

If I were the sponsor of his rackets, I would stop supplying rackets to him.

If I were BWF, I would give him a suspension.

We play sports to have courtesy and grace.