Weight Of Different Aspects in power generation

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by sarath_031, Apr 4, 2012.

1. sarath_031

sarath_031 Regular Member

Student
    Hi, fellow BC members (a lot better players than me as i started playing since three months). I was wondering if you could tell me the weight of different aspects in the power generation in a particular stroke (clear, smash, slice drop and others). I was thinking of the aspects such as the racquet, strings, felxibility of the racquet, tension in the strings, swing speed, and also the snapping of the racquet finally when making the stroke and others which you may seem appropriate. i just had a thought that if a professional player is handed a basic racquet then the speed of his smash will be high as lower tension produces more power. is that true? sorry, for asking so many questions

2. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    Hey there! welcome to BC!
    Basic badminton rule no1 to generate power is the GRIP! the more soft you're grip is the better your stroke production will be. Grip rule is that you need to hold softly in your fingers which means it should come out easily if pulled from your hands. Never grip in you palm. Rule no2 will be effective wrist movement and finger control. To test finger control try to do a spinning netshot not just tumble and try to cross court net with just little movement. The racket ,strings are just options to your correct technique. Pro players can produce power no matter what their racket / strings are, the rackets/strings are just preference. Try watching vids here in the forums. Take care!

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

zackster - that's not correct the racket should easily come out of your grip if pulled! You shouldn't have a death-grip on it, and should not be holding tightly with all fingers all the time, but it should be secure! You dont have to hold so tight for it to be secure and for some to not be able to easily pull it out. To op,the most important aspects in generating power are: 1) grip! 2) technique 3) speed (explosiveness) and distant last is racket/strings etc etc. Without correct grip, the correct technique is impossible! With correct grip, correct technique is possible and will need time and some coaching. The last piece is some basic strength to get this happening quickly.

4. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    Nope that is not how i was taught. My coach demonstrated pushing and driving only with two fingers holding the racket incredibly he was able to push and drive with little movements. Power comes from soft grip and trust me it will not fly out of your hands and again it should come out effortlessly from your fingers when pulled.

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

don't know who your coach is, but he doesn't agree with zhao jianhua ;)...... and pushing/driving is probably not the shots op is concerned with when talking about 'power'

#5 amleto, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  6. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    on the contrary he idolizes zhao jian hua. I know my words speak meaningless , if only i could show you to them only then you will believe them.

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

well, there is cctv episode where jianhua shows grip - with pinky and ring finger and asks the student to pull the racket - it does not come out...

8. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    i've seen that episode, in fact i watched all of them. He is just demonstrating that it cannot fly out to a beginner. In fact if remember correct about that episode, zhao jianhua told to hold with relaxed and soft grip but the person was more concerned about it flying out. So he basically told it will not. If you're holding tightly with the pinky and and ring finger it will be hard for you to change direction. He was only demonstrating that it will not fly out.

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

well, it either will come when pulled, or it wont. jianhua showed it wont come out, even if someone pulls it! But you say it comes out effortlessly...Anyway, I think we are drawing attention away from the main point - we both agree grip should not be tight

10. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Number 1 rule should be to hold it basic grip, its pronation that produces most of the power. I know 2 people who hold racket with a fist grip and produce very hard smashes a further 4 people who have massive thick grips which must hinder finger control who have hard smashes. Panhandling or veering towards panhandle is the 1st major obstacle to overcome in technique.
    I prioritized finger control too much as a result of reading stuff on the net and it didn't help me I found my grip slipped to much towards panhandle.
    Basic grip nice and relaxed and hit it. Palm should touch the handle

11. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

i would have to say the power of your shot comes from the following categories:

forearm pronation
    arm/shoulder-movement (for lack of a better word)
    body rotation

while the posters above me are correct to discuss grip, the grip only makes it easier to pronate and increase racket head speed.

12. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Your coach is right , as that was how I was taught from a former national team coach, the handle should be rested and griped loosely on the fingers. Only tighten the grip when the shuttle is struck . That video the other guys mentioned are for club / recreational players , only a demonstration for the basic of the shot , otherwise it will add to the complication.

Once you get the grasp of the basic and abit more, than all the nitty-gritty part of the technical work will come in to play. There are always improvement to be made. Some technical aspect you would not notice just by watching, is only when it is play in slow-mo and close up you would see everything.

13. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    2 fingers and slight grip (to balance ) with the thumb , !
    For my overhead backhand and most drive and push thats how I hold it . I used to rest it on all my fingers and thumb few years back , but now the 2 fingers enables me to generate more power since it is more lose and when I squeeze (grip) with all four fingers on impact I can get much more out of it.

It is hard to describe the concept for those who does not have the correct technique or coaching at the first place , as it this is build on from the basic you learn at younger age.

It is scary on the amount of details of the technical side required to perform a ''perfect smash'' , the more you learn , the more questions are asked and more improvement required , but nothing is ever perfect are they !

I know some players with their coach would analysis even the finest details just to get abit more

#13 Staiger1, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  14. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Agree and understand what your saying staiger, good for deception to learn fingers aswell I suppose, but sarath was referring to smashes and clears, the all out power shots. Certainly for hard smashes loose finger grip isn't used.

15. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    I dont think you know what I meant , for harder smashes , the grip before the contact should be loose (as loose as possible), and tighten (sudden) at impact with the shuttle to generate the explosion of power.

Ok, for example (I only know this as I know some people in the badminton world) , top professional players vary their speed of their smashes i.e. +/- 30 kmh intentionally to deceive their opponents. If you look at their swing speed and the rate of pronation , there will be hardly any different . They change the speed by altering how loosely they rest /grip their racket before impact and how tightly they would grip at impact , this will even be hard to tell with a close up .slow mo cam as the handle might be resting on four fingers but it is actually gripped by the first 3 fingers

16. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

If you google images of badminton players and look at them just before they smash they hold it a lot firmer than what you imply and to me not as loose as possible, which is how I used to hold it. Certainly more firmer than you would for backhand net kill or forehand flick push.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/badminton/about.html

17. alexh

alexh Regular Member

...but not so loose that the racket could literally be pulled out of your hand easily, as some people are trying to make out. Because if you held it that loosely, it would be flying out of your hand and through the air before it got anywhere near the shuttle.

18. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    sarath, it's true that a pro would fire off the shuttle like a Saturn 5 booster rocket, if he is to play with a very trampoline like string bed. though low string tensions have the effect, too, to alter the angle and trajectories of the shuttle without much predictable control by the player, so if you're training a shot that skims the net, a low string tension racket is probably like to produce more errors on this.

the speed of your hand in time and space by and large determines the initial booster rocket speed of the shuttlecock, the faster you can accelerate your hand, the faster the shot. a racket in hands, however, has a limit to how fast you can swing it, heavy rackets are more difficult to swing fast.

whippy shafts gives the shuttlecock an extra kick, if the timing is right, however timing may change accuracy of the shot, the more whippy the less you have to give the shuttle as a necessary kick---that means the shaft takes responsibility for aspects of the stroke away from you, so you have less control over the shot overall.

finally your body movement that goes into a stroke makes all the difference: skinny female players can shoot stronger than some male club player because they do the body movement on top on the overall arm, hand and racket swing.

19. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    it is loose. A lot people are concerned about it flying out but really it won't , it feels weird at fist cause your not used to it but when you do you can feel every touch of the shuttle with your fingers. I always love seeing women players because their touch of the racket is always soft that is why women players are always quicker to learn than man players.

20. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Right. It's loose, but not too loose. It won't fly out and you can't easily pull it out (no way you can have one of those things being true without the other). But the grip is still relaxed.