Help with this situation guys.....

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by will_1304, Apr 5, 2012.

1. will_1304

will_1304 New Member

Ok, i sometimes play at this place thats like an old school. The roof struts and beams are visible (imagine an old church roof) and are quite low and i hit them an awful lot. Some say i do it on purpose and say i am cheating but i definitely am not attempting to hit the beams and struts. In a match is it player let or can the 'home team' use it as there advantage and take the point if i keep hitting them.

Will

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

If you hit the beams on serve its a let, during the rally it's a fault and it's the other players point.:)

3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

This all depends. Since there is no umpire, or any official whatsoever and is a recreational match, then you and your opponents must decide on what to make it. We can't tell you what it is as we can't see it in person. Each gym has a different set of rules (and I've heard many different options as an umpire)

I've been to tournaments with these situations so far:

1 let per serve
    1 let per side per game for service or rallies
    1 let per serve until your opponent scores a point and you get the point back. (So if you serve and hit the roof, it's a let, and you score 3 points in a row, if you hit the roof again, it's a fault, unless your opponent scores a point and then you get the bird back)

and so on...so it all very much depends on usually who the referee is and the outlook of the gym. Yes, these rules do sound a lil weird but that's how they were enforced.

4. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Too complicated!! Hit the roof it's a fault, end of story. That also takes care of any complaints about possible gamesmanship.

5. krysser

krysser Regular Member

Well according to the rules (rule 13) it is a fault if the shuttle tuches the ceiling during play.
    If it is loose objects hanging from the ceiling (like speakers, lights and so on) it is normally a let, depending on how high they are hanging (if I don't remember wrong there should be atleast 12 meters, above 12 meters that will be a fault too, but normally we have a referee to tell us that ;) )

6. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Here is rule 13.3 in full:

So it's a fault, unless your local association has made an official ruling otherwise.

7. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

unless this a venue for competition....

u need to have a understanding with yr players..or frds...

depends.. how u all wish to have the rules..be.. (for social playing..i mean)

8. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I have played in places where the home team says whether an obstruction is a let or fault. If not I generally ask. If they say it is a let then it is a let but i wouldnt purposely aim at it just in case i missed! So moral of the story is get clarification before you play.

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Like Dan says the home team or club have their own rules on what is or isnt a fault/let and they usually tell you before a game, especially in a place as you describe where they will be quite common.

Technically i imagine the club wouldnt have ammended the standard rules and normally league rules state WBF rules apply so you could enforce them, but this wouldnt be tonyour advantage in this case and given the pesumed standard, a bit much!