Stringing Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by mozartcova, Aug 6, 2003.

1. mozartcova

mozartcova Regular Member

All badminton stringers,

Can you give me some advice as what the best way is to start stringing the main string of a racket? In other words, how do you hold the tension of the 2 main string in the middle?

I use flying clamps. I mention this because I don't think the method on http://www.stevecowley.com/stuff/badminton_restring.htm work for flying clamps.

Thanks.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I will try to describe as clear as possible: Need 2 flying clamps.

1. Make ur self a "start kit" to be the "extra" piece to hold the 1st string. Basically, use a short piece of string tale (several inches) and tying it with a key ring. The purpose is, once the string go through the gromment, the key ring will stay out, so, like a stable string piece to clamp.

2. If using 2 piece (4 knots) method, the main piece shoudl be about 17 ft, and the cross is 16ft.

3. Pull main string through the middle 4 (2 top, 2 bottom) gromments. Use ur drop weight (I assume) machine to tension the left string. Use the "strat kit" u made, go through the next avaiable top left gromments. This way, u can clamp the start kit string and the left string (with tension).

4. Now, pull tension on the right middle string. Once done, use the 2nd clamp to clamp the middle 2 strings.

5. Now, u can continue the right part one by one, (pull tension, clamp it with the one next to it) for another 4, 5 pieces. Clamp the last string.

6. Now, go back to the left part. Tension string, clamp the newly pulled one and the one next to it, and go on... Same as right part.

7. go back to right, for antoher 3, 4, then back to left 3, 4..

8. this way, u can applied relatively equal tension among the racket. Once u finished one side completely (usually 11 main on each side), tying a knot by going back to bottom #6 or 7 gromments (usually, a large gromment for double string). The tying knot method, u can learn from that website.

Sorry for the poor description, I tried my best... :(

3. mozartcova

mozartcova Regular Member

Thanks LazyBuddy, I tried your method last night and it works pretty good. Instead of using a key ring, I use my extra flying clamp that comes with the stringer. So I'm using 1 tennis flying clamp to act as starting kit, and 2 other badminton flying clamps to hold the tension. Works great! Now I need to get a badminton awl. I spent too much time on getting through those grommets where both cross and main meets. I heard a badminton awl will help a lot, is it true? Do you have other tips you can share on that?

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Wow... u can really read my english??? must be amazing... :D

Glad things work out for u. Yeah, a badminton awl will help. If u r having trouble to fit 2 strings into 1 gromment, u can use the awl generally "expand" the gromment hole a little bit, then, the work will be easier. Just make sure don't put too much force, otherwise, u might damage the string.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Actually, I made a little bit confusion in #3. According to what i described, the left middle string won't be able to be tensioned at first. But this way also works. If u would like to tension the left middle string first, here's the "modified version":

3. Pull main string through the middle 4 (2 top, 2 bottom) gromments. Then, use the left piece, go through next left bottom gromment. Use 1 clamp to clamp the left 2 bottom pieces of string.

4. Pull the left middle string. Once done, use the "start kit" go through the next left top gromment, and clamp it with the left middle string. (2nd clamp, and the left middle string is tensioned)

5. While both clamp in position, pull tension on the right middle string, while it still being pulled by the machine, release 2nd clamp (and no more use for the start kit), and clamp it at the bottom of 2 middle string. Now both middle strings are tensioned.

6. Continue to use the "alternate side" method as I described in 1st post.

Sorry for the confusion. Both method should work, as the 1st one was from my own experience, after I mid-read the user menu, once. ;)