VIDEO: How to do the Victor 80 holes stringing pattern

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Apr 5, 2012.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this video shows the details on how to string the Victor 80 holes pattern on a Meteor series racket. the pattern is similar to a one piece bottoms up except for the bottom 4 cross which comes from the other side of the mains and come top down.

the video was done a few days ago but the sheer length of the whole process made the video ultra long and pain to edit. even with fast forwarding a lot of the weaving process it still came down to 30+ minutes. i hope someone will be able to sit through this. :)

on a fixed clamp machine, the pattern pretty much require the use of a starting/flying clamp to hold one of the string.

and i am not sure how this can be done properly with flying clamps only. part of the reason i haven't attempted this before i got the Gamma.

as for playability, it is excellent. i played with it twice in the past week and even with ZM62N@28/30lbs. the repulsion and feel is excellent.

i have yet to identify the source of the improvement though, is it the 3/4 1/4 cross split, is it the +2 lbs on the middle cross string, or is it the one piece stringing.

but for those who are curious and have a meteor to play with, i'd recommend you try the pattern and see how you feel.

(note. i missed one part of the pattern and that's at the top of the crosses. i didn't do the Yonex style skip one and come back but i think that'd have minimal effect on the overall feel of the racket)

[video=youtube;KxDbEMapUuM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxDbEMapUuM[/video]

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Forgot to link the video there :p

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ops... added now.. :)

4. visor

visor Regular Member

What's the difference in length between left and right halves? It's hard to convince my stringer to do this pattern because of this.

Also for the sake of all MX users, the next step would be for you to compare playabalilty side to side directly with a regular 1 piece equal halves. :)

5. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

When I strung mine, I just did the normal 1 piece pattern measurement and I added 5 times the length of a cross string to that side.

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I bet even the Korean Teams stringers can't be bothered doing this pattern! :p

7. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

The Victor stringing method for 72,76,80 holes is a very easy and straight forward 1 piece pattern very very close to the Gosen Basic method. Of course nothing is as straight forward and easy as the Yonex 2 piece method. However, the Gosen Basic and Victor method does not isolate the sweetspot as convincingly as the Gosen Pro method, which the pros of it are subjective to individual. The shorter side needs 5.5 - 6 racket lengths, same as the Gosen Basic method. The Gosen Pro method needs only 4.5 - 5 racket lengths for the shorter side.

#7 istringforyou, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

OK, as I suspected, the used MX80 I just bought is strung wrongly.

The other ones I currently own are OK.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

kwun, have you considered adding another cross at the top? There are two "trombone" grommets side by side, and I always use one for an extra cross and the other for the knot. That pattern has a fair amount of main poking out the top, so it's horrible for mis-hits; it's great with the extra cross, though - more like the Z rackets.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

With regard to one-piece stuff, I must say I favour tying off after at least two crosses over tying off directly from a main - this way you've got some cross friction to mitigate and/or slow the tension loss at the knot.

11. Shuffler

Shuffler Regular Member

Philanthropoid
    So, what's the next-best stringing pattern for this racquet? I have a MX80, but my machine doesn't have fixed clamps. Based on Kwun's comments, it seems like this pattern isn't possible for me. :confused:

12. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

It is possible, I've done it. However, the main problem is that you need to double pull some strings, mainly the first crosses that you do (4th and 3rd from bottom), so I would add some extra tension for those. The tension will not be as even/good as with fixed clamps, but it should be close enough if you take the right precautions.

You could always do a 4 knot pattern based on Yonex's standard pattern, but you will have to figure some things out because it will not be the same exact pattern.

#12 yan.v, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, after thinking about it for a while, i think it is possible to do it without much compromise.

think about it this way, the first cross that goes up, you can use the flying clamp to tie it on the first cross that goes down. so the procedure would be:

- do the mains like normal.
    - weave and tension first down cross. hold the tension at the outside of the frame with flying clamp or starting clamp.
    - weave and tension first up cross. clamp it against the first down cross.
    - weave and tension the rest of up cross and tie off at the top
    - re-tension first down cross, removing outside clamp. clamp inside using flying clamp
    - weave and tension the rest of down cross and tie off at the bottom.

14. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

That's a pretty good solution Kwun, thanks!

Thankfully, I will not have to do that since I wil be receiving my badminton fixed clamps very soon :p

15. Shuffler

Shuffler Regular Member

Philanthropoid
    Nice work-around, Mr. K. Thanks for thinking that through.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    anyone tried this pattern yet?

i have been using it on my MX80 and it feels really good.

17. Shuffler

Shuffler Regular Member

Philanthropoid
    I strung my MX80 according to this pattern yesterday and played last night (Z67 (old) 24X26).

I agree that it felt great. I appreciated the slightly softer feel at the top of the racket for serving and net work, while having a nice hard stringbed at the center for power and placement shots.

Also did this using Kwun's no-fixed-clamp work-around. The only issue that came up was that the flying clamp holding the tension of the first down cross outside the frame got in the way as I looped from the last main to the first up cross. Hard to explain, but wasn't much of an issue in the end. Just snaked the main in-between the flying clamp and the frame to get to the first cross hole.

18. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I have a suggestion, I string like this for almost all rackets, except I do the bottom 2 crosses with my short side and the rest with my long side

So the short sides goes from B12 <last main> into B10 <first cross> and from B10 into B9 <second cross> then tie off from B9 on B8. The long sides goes from B12 <last main> into B11 <first cross> and the upwards from B12 etc etc.

To work around the fixed clamp issue, I just clamp my last mains with (2) flying clamps, so I have both fixed clamps to use for my crosses. The tension lost on the last main is not that important (and it's way less than the tension lost when you tie off) and most of will be compensated when you tension the first cross.
    It's the easier solution if you ask me

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    isn't that the method i showed in the video? except that i use a starting clamp instead of flying clamps.

20. jerby

jerby Regular Member

The (only) difference is I clamp the flying clamp on the inside of the frame. The you are free to do the short side, tie off and continue with the long side.
    I agree the result is very similar, but for those of us without (or with a shitty) starting clamp it works nicely