Smart badminton and self coaching

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  2. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

wouldnt it be easier to get a coach than all the (probably expensive) equipment?

i think we would need to get FHF to run a few test smashes using the equipment first in order to have a comparison of our own skills to his. . . .it would be great if we could get it though. any electrical engineers around here :p?

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[video=youtube;F-m3oNf1Lsc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-m3oNf1Lsc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

4. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I tried self coaching but, my pupil was too much of a dumbass.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You know that some people don't listen to the coach ;)

There's a story that when Lee Jae Bok went to England, established coaches and players were saying "Is what he is teaching, right?"

I know that when the more senior generation of established england coaches were first shown the new syllabus on advanced footwork (which includes balance and rhythm), they were very skeptical.

Not all learners respond to the same coach either. So as an aid to coaching, it is quite fascinating.

The university is Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh.....Fascinating to think "what if" they had the right badminton fanatic just come across that project....

6. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

All joking aside, this technology is just a progression of what we've seen in sport over that couple of decades. As technology advances the methods by which feedback is transmitted to the players becomes more and more refined. Personally I don't know if it makes the game any better from the perspective of the fan.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ not only feedback to ourselves as a player, but feedback to opponent players...

eg. slow mo videos and match video analysis of world class players can now be done by anyone in the world with youtube and an internet connection...