User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 117
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default China Masters should be scrapped and get replaced another country to host a SS

    I do not see the big difference of hosting two tournaments both in China sponsored by OSIM apart from the schedule and prize money.

    Maybe BWF should re-consider dropping either of the two and pick another country to host the tournament of SS. To popularise and establish badminton's position as a global sport, they look at opportunities to have one SS event at least to be organised in the American region.

    I feel the BWF is too concerned about developing and promoting themselves only in Asia as countries like China is the way forward for the sport to grow..If they really want badminton to be accepted worldwide and not considered as a backyard activity, maybe they should start taking the first step by changing the world tour.

    For instance, China Masters and China Open Premier are not much a difference...they could reserve one SS for other countries to host. Personally I would be delighted to see Lin Dan vs Lee Chong Wei match to played on every different continent, in a way the sport could be promoted and capture more media attention by doing so...

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,434
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    This argument has been discussed before.

    I doubt BWF "wants" to promote in countries that are already strong in badminton. China Masters doesn't have the same background of history as other tournaments.

    However, I suspect it depends on the sponsorship and how the money flows....

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If they find their sponsors want to pay them big money to put on a tournament in another continent they would, however my guess is they havent, otherwise they would have done.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    coming to a court near you...
    Posts
    28,044
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    They should hold a SS "Tournament of the Americas" on a rotating country basis.

    Maybe do USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil on a 4 year cycle.

    This way, there won't be undue stress to come up with a sponsor with big $$ every year and it also keeps the event fresh and unique.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Slum
    Posts
    432
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So far the tournaments have been organized in clusters, so that the poor badminton players can afford to play in more tournaments.

    At the end of the day, it's a matter of money. No big companies would sponsor a tournament that attracts little attention. And they have to show that they have the facilities and abilities to host a big badminton tournament. Everything has to be ready or expected to be ready.

    Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    They should hold a SS "Tournament of the Americas" on a rotating country basis.

    Maybe do USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil on a 4 year cycle.

    This way, there won't be undue stress to come up with a sponsor with big $$ every year and it also keeps the event fresh and unique.

  6. #6
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,669
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    If they find their sponsors want to pay them big money to put on a tournament in another continent they would, however my guess is they havent, otherwise they would have done.
    Then there's the concept of investing in hitherto untapped resources. Translated: BWF ploughs some money back into actively co-promoting higher-profile events in countries that show promise and potential. Sooner or later, the corporates and hosts have an event that generates revenue on its own through ticket sales but more importantly, television/advertising revenues. That is generally how sports catch on in "lesser" countries.

    It is one reason why I am so in favour of getting Thailand to be a SS host at the very least, and ASAP. The demographics are in place; the talent is undisputed; the historic association with the game is unquestionable; the captive television audience is going nowhere else. All it requires is for BWF and a coupla other guys to get their asses in gear. Once the momentum sets in, corporates will line up for the privilege to be associated. But: no pain, no gain.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree the governing bodies have a dity to invest in the sport in currently low participation areas, however funding a major tournament isn't, IMHO (and seemingly The BWF also) the best method ofndoing this.

    There would be a real risk that the bwf could blow 1m and have no appreciably benefit to the host country.

  8. #8
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,669
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    I agree the governing bodies have a dity to invest in the sport in currently low participation areas, however funding a major tournament isn't, IMHO (and seemingly The BWF also) the best method ofndoing this.

    There would be a real risk that the bwf could blow 1m and have no appreciably benefit to the host country.
    BWF doesn't necessarily have to invest $1m cash into such a venture. The national association has to fulfill its responsibility to at least, the extent it does at present (GPG?) and try to up the ante from there. If corporates (Thai Cement? etc) are given some assurance of priority assignments once the momentum is established, I am sure they would be willing to stake an additional sum to upgrade the event to SS. A city like Bangkok already fulfils most other criteria. It is eminently do-able. Just requires the intent.

    The BCCI identified a potential and actively pursued an aggressive growth path. Just requires a few people with vision, and gumption, and dare I say, 2 big brass ones.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    coming to a court near you...
    Posts
    28,044
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fauci View Post
    So far the tournaments have been organized in clusters, so that the poor badminton players can afford to play in more tournaments.

    At the end of the day, it's a matter of money. No big companies would sponsor a tournament that attracts little attention. And they have to show that they have the facilities and abilities to host a big badminton tournament. Everything has to be ready or expected to be ready.
    Agree that if an Americas tournament is organized, it would be an isolated one.

    As far as facilities go, I think these countries have ample and also the infrastructure and organizational know how. Sponsors will have to be worked on but in a 4 year cycle, there should be enough time for each country to come up with a game plan. The novelty of having a SS tournament every 4 years would grant it more prestige in that country. In the intervening years, the tournament reverts back to it's original status there.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    BWF doesn't necessarily have to invest $1m cash into such a venture. The national association has to fulfill its responsibility to at least, the extent it does at present (GPG?) and try to up the ante from there. If corporates (Thai Cement? etc) are given some assurance of priority assignments once the momentum is established, I am sure they would be willing to stake an additional sum to upgrade the event to SS. A city like Bangkok already fulfils most other criteria. It is eminently do-able. Just requires the intent.

    The BCCI identified a potential and actively pursued an aggressive growth path. Just requires a few people with vision, and gumption, and dare I say, 2 big brass ones.
    I was eerring mainly to North or South America, where the national asociations wouldnt have anywhere near enough money.

    Thailand I guess is achievable, but I suppose BWF would want any upgrade from GPG to SS to come from outside Asia. I guess one reason why French is SS is because BWF would like more than two tournament in europe. There is no such pressure on BWF from Asia as I am sure INA, MAS, JPN, KOR could host more than one at SS level if they wanted too.

  11. #11
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,669
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    I was eerring mainly to North or South America, where the national asociations wouldnt have anywhere near enough money..
    Ah! I see... sorry for the confusion!

    Thailand I guess is achievable, but I suppose BWF would want any upgrade from GPG to SS to come from outside Asia. I guess one reason why French is SS is because BWF would like more than two tournament in europe. There is no such pressure on BWF from Asia as I am sure INA, MAS, JPN, KOR could host more than one at SS level if they wanted too.
    If indeed they are serious about promoting badminton worldwide (and I pray they are) then they need to revist their contracts model for television rights. The answer lies right there.

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    If indeed they are serious about promoting badminton worldwide (and I pray they are) then they need to revist their contracts model for television rights. The answer lies right there.
    How come? What is the problem there?

  13. #13
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,771
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Then there's the concept of investing in hitherto untapped resources. Translated: BWF ploughs some money back into actively co-promoting higher-profile events in countries that show promise and potential. Sooner or later, the corporates and hosts have an event that generates revenue on its own through ticket sales but more importantly, television/advertising revenues. That is generally how sports catch on in "lesser" countries.

    It is one reason why I am so in favour of getting Thailand to be a SS host at the very least, and ASAP. The demographics are in place; the talent is undisputed; the historic association with the game is unquestionable; the captive television audience is going nowhere else. All it requires is for BWF and a coupla other guys to get their asses in gear. Once the momentum sets in, corporates will line up for the privilege to be associated. But: no pain, no gain.
    What "corporates" would those be ? Is there even one tournament where an equipment manufacturer is not the title sponsor (answer yes Djarum INA Open, >.< cr*p Maybank MAS Open , SCG Thai) ... Errrm ... "Is there even one tournament outside SEA ..."

    "HTC Acer Victor Taipei Super Series 2014"
    Last edited by demolidor; 04-06-2012 at 03:57 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    5,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    SS that has to be dropped:
    China Masters SS, change to become something like Copenhagen Masters, an invitational tournament
    Singapore SS, relegate to Gold GP
    Hong Kong SS, relegate to Gold GP

    What badminton needs to be the world's #1 racket sport:
    USA SS
    Russia SS
    Australia SS
    Brazil GP Gold
    Mexico GP Gold
    South Africa GP Gold
    Nigeria GP Gold
    Pakistan GP Gold

    All the major continents can be involved, all the top countries by population are involved (#1 China, #2 India, #3 USA, #4 Indonesia, #5 Brazil, #6 Pakistan, #7 Nigeria, #8 Russia)...

  15. #15
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,440
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    According to reliable sources,China will get one SS after 2013..many countries are protesting BWF as they have seen BWF made many decisions in benefiting to China..
    Taipeh and Macau are considering to get SS...
    Anyway..in 2013, I hope BWF to increase prize money of SS to US$ 300 K and Premier to US$ 500 K.
    The problem for USA and other countries like Brazil/Mexico, badminton is not popular...I think it is better that BWF allows those countires to have more Challenges tournaments...

  16. #16
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,440
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    If they find their sponsors want to pay them big money to put on a tournament in another continent they would, however my guess is they havent, otherwise they would have done.
    You are correct in certain case....For sure I know BIG US companies wont sponsor US Open yet and also BWF did not take any fee in certain countries and yet it is tough to have the tournaments....too bad that some of BWF's officials has not studied how Tennis gets developed...
    For next 3 years, I think we should focus to develop more Challenges/International series in Africa/South and Central America and BWF should get China/INA/Korea/Mas/DEN to sponsor the players from those countries to train them free and become world contender....I have discussed this idea to one of BWF and it is easier ..lets say that BWF has asked PBSI take some Brazil players to train for 6 months and Peru for another 6 months...China to take some US players or Mexico players..DEN to take some Negerians or Egyptians....this could encourage them to have their own tournaments in future...

  17. #17
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,440
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fauci View Post
    So far the tournaments have been organized in clusters, so that the poor badminton players can afford to play in more tournaments.

    At the end of the day, it's a matter of money. No big companies would sponsor a tournament that attracts little attention. And they have to show that they have the facilities and abilities to host a big badminton tournament. Everything has to be ready or expected to be ready.
    It may sound a bit " racists" here...I know for sure that US companies will sponsor badminton tournaments if US has more NON Asian players...so far if you look at USA team for Uber/Thomas, mostly are Asian descents...too bad that some of US copmpanies look at that way...to me.,..they represent US, not china/thai or INA...

    Since this year that US has more tournaments than ever and prize money is not up to the standard..thats the reason why I have asked BWF to consider to have more Challenge/International series so US players get motivated to play tournaments and at the same time,.,..US Badminton association ( sadly it ha been disfuntional association so far) has the reason to unite whole US badminton ( for those who know US badminton, we are not united at all)...anyway..BWF may need few months to think that idea and change the rule of tournaments...thats the only way to get badminton promoted...
    Last edited by huangkwokhau; 04-08-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LCW VS LD in China Masters SF
    By danielwong in forum China Masters / Japan Open 2009
    Replies: 261
    : 09-28-2009, 07:08 AM
  2. 2007 China Masters SS Pic's!!!!!
    By LI De Quan in forum Thailand Open 2007 / China Open (1) 2007 / Philippines Open 2007
    Replies: 117
    : 07-15-2007, 09:11 AM
  3. TBS-OSH to Rock in China Masters
    By X Ball in forum Thailand Open 2007 / China Open (1) 2007 / Philippines Open 2007
    Replies: 38
    : 07-15-2007, 04:43 AM
  4. Official China Website of the China Masters 07
    By ants in forum Thailand Open 2007 / China Open (1) 2007 / Philippines Open 2007
    Replies: 0
    : 06-22-2007, 01:49 PM
  5. China country code?
    By Kai91 in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 1
    : 12-11-2004, 09:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •