China Masters should be scrapped and get replaced another country to host a SS

Discussion in '2012 Tournaments' started by Miqilin7, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    I do not see the big difference of hosting two tournaments both in China sponsored by OSIM apart from the schedule and prize money.

Maybe BWF should re-consider dropping either of the two and pick another country to host the tournament of SS. To popularise and establish badminton's position as a global sport, they look at opportunities to have one SS event at least to be organised in the American region.

I feel the BWF is too concerned about developing and promoting themselves only in Asia as countries like China is the way forward for the sport to grow..If they really want badminton to be accepted worldwide and not considered as a backyard activity, maybe they should start taking the first step by changing the world tour.

For instance, China Masters and China Open Premier are not much a difference...they could reserve one SS for other countries to host. Personally I would be delighted to see Lin Dan vs Lee Chong Wei match to played on every different continent, in a way the sport could be promoted and capture more media attention by doing so...

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This argument has been discussed before.

I doubt BWF "wants" to promote in countries that are already strong in badminton. China Masters doesn't have the same background of history as other tournaments.

However, I suspect it depends on the sponsorship and how the money flows....

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    If they find their sponsors want to pay them big money to put on a tournament in another continent they would, however my guess is they havent, otherwise they would have done.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

They should hold a SS "Tournament of the Americas" on a rotating country basis.

Maybe do USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil on a 4 year cycle.

This way, there won't be undue stress to come up with a sponsor with big $$ every year and it also keeps the event fresh and unique.

5. fauci

fauci Regular Member

So far the tournaments have been organized in clusters, so that the poor badminton players can afford to play in more tournaments.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of money. No big companies would sponsor a tournament that attracts little attention. And they have to show that they have the facilities and abilities to host a big badminton tournament. Everything has to be ready or expected to be ready.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Then there's the concept of investing in hitherto untapped resources. Translated: BWF ploughs some money back into actively co-promoting higher-profile events in countries that show promise and potential. Sooner or later, the corporates and hosts have an event that generates revenue on its own through ticket sales but more importantly, television/advertising revenues. That is generally how sports catch on in "lesser" countries.

It is one reason why I am so in favour of getting Thailand to be a SS host at the very least, and ASAP. The demographics are in place; the talent is undisputed; the historic association with the game is unquestionable; the captive television audience is going nowhere else. All it requires is for BWF and a coupla other guys to get their asses in gear. Once the momentum sets in, corporates will line up for the privilege to be associated. But: no pain, no gain.

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I agree the governing bodies have a dity to invest in the sport in currently low participation areas, however funding a major tournament isn't, IMHO (and seemingly The BWF also) the best method ofndoing this.

There would be a real risk that the bwf could blow £1m and have no appreciably benefit to the host country.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    :D BWF doesn't necessarily have to invest $1m cash into such a venture. The national association has to fulfill its responsibility to at least, the extent it does at present (GPG?) and try to up the ante from there. If corporates (Thai Cement? etc) are given some assurance of priority assignments once the momentum is established, I am sure they would be willing to stake an additional sum to upgrade the event to SS. A city like Bangkok already fulfils most other criteria. It is eminently do-able. Just requires the intent.

The BCCI identified a potential and actively pursued an aggressive growth path. Just requires a few people with vision, and gumption, and dare I say, 2 big brass ones.

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Agree that if an Americas tournament is organized, it would be an isolated one.

As far as facilities go, I think these countries have ample and also the infrastructure and organizational know how. Sponsors will have to be worked on but in a 4 year cycle, there should be enough time for each country to come up with a game plan. The novelty of having a SS tournament every 4 years would grant it more prestige in that country. In the intervening years, the tournament reverts back to it's original status there.

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I was eerring mainly to North or South America, where the national asociations wouldnt have anywhere near enough money.

Thailand I guess is achievable, but I suppose BWF would want any upgrade from GPG to SS to come from outside Asia. I guess one reason why French is SS is because BWF would like more than two tournament in europe. There is no such pressure on BWF from Asia as I am sure INA, MAS, JPN, KOR could host more than one at SS level if they wanted too.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ah! I see... sorry for the confusion! :(

If indeed they are serious about promoting badminton worldwide (and I pray they are) then they need to revist their contracts model for television rights. The answer lies right there.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    How come? What is the problem there?

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

What "corporates" would those be :D? Is there even one tournament where an equipment manufacturer is not the title sponsor (answer yes :eek: Djarum INA Open, >.< cr*p Maybank MAS Open [​IMG], SCG Thai) ... Errrm ... "Is there even one tournament outside SEA ..."

"HTC Acer Victor Taipei Super Series 2014" [​IMG]

#13 demolidor, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  14. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    SS that has to be dropped:
    China Masters SS, change to become something like Copenhagen Masters, an invitational tournament
    Singapore SS, relegate to Gold GP
    Hong Kong SS, relegate to Gold GP

What badminton needs to be the world's #1 racket sport:
    USA SS
    Russia SS
    Australia SS
    Brazil GP Gold
    Mexico GP Gold
    South Africa GP Gold
    Nigeria GP Gold
    Pakistan GP Gold

All the major continents can be involved, all the top countries by population are involved (#1 China, #2 India, #3 USA, #4 Indonesia, #5 Brazil, #6 Pakistan, #7 Nigeria, #8 Russia)...

15. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    According to reliable sources,China will get one SS after 2013..many countries are protesting BWF as they have seen BWF made many decisions in benefiting to China..
    Taipeh and Macau are considering to get SS...
    Anyway..in 2013, I hope BWF to increase prize money of SS to US$ 300 K and Premier to US$ 500 K.
    The problem for USA and other countries like Brazil/Mexico, badminton is not popular...I think it is better that BWF allows those countires to have more Challenges tournaments...

16. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    You are correct in certain case....For sure I know BIG US companies wont sponsor US Open yet and also BWF did not take any fee in certain countries and yet it is tough to have the tournaments....too bad that some of BWF's officials has not studied how Tennis gets developed...
    For next 3 years, I think we should focus to develop more Challenges/International series in Africa/South and Central America and BWF should get China/INA/Korea/Mas/DEN to sponsor the players from those countries to train them free and become world contender....I have discussed this idea to one of BWF and it is easier ..lets say that BWF has asked PBSI take some Brazil players to train for 6 months and Peru for another 6 months...China to take some US players or Mexico players..DEN to take some Negerians or Egyptians....this could encourage them to have their own tournaments in future...

17. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    It may sound a bit " racists" here...I know for sure that US companies will sponsor badminton tournaments if US has more NON Asian players...so far if you look at USA team for Uber/Thomas, mostly are Asian descents...too bad that some of US copmpanies look at that way...to me.,..they represent US, not china/thai or INA...

Since this year that US has more tournaments than ever and prize money is not up to the standard..thats the reason why I have asked BWF to consider to have more Challenge/International series so US players get motivated to play tournaments and at the same time,.,..US Badminton association ( sadly it ha been disfuntional association so far) has the reason to unite whole US badminton ( for those who know US badminton, we are not united at all)...anyway..BWF may need few months to think that idea and change the rule of tournaments...thats the only way to get badminton promoted...

#17 huangkwokhau, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  18. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I hope BWF won't decide to give Taipei or Macau any SS... Give the SS to bigger countries [outside the traditional Western Europe and Asia comfort zones] like Russia/Australia/USA... whichever is most ready.

Oh, the minimum prize money for 2013 onwards [I agree with huangkwokhau for the PSS and SS] can be increased:
    Premier SS $500,000
    SS $300,000
    GP Gold $150,000
    GP $75,000
    International Challenge $30,000
    International Series $10,000
    Future Series $2500
    They had stayed at the current levels for too long. The value of US$ have depleted so much after all the Quantitative Easing practices [a.k.a. US printing money]. And no more of this nonsense that Future Series gives out $0 prize money. Professional players should get paid!

As for the Juniors, ok laaah, keep the current arrangements:
    International Junior Challenge $15,000
    International Junior Series $5,000
    International Future Series $0

19. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

I think the BWF should do as follows:
    SSP/SSF $500,000
    SS $300,000
    GPG $230,000
    GP $170,000
    IC $120,000
    IS $80,000
    FS(U21) $50,000
    AG(U19) $30,000
    BG(U17) $20,000
    CG(U15) $10,000

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Even the prize money of INA's Domestic Circuit (Sirnas) is Rp 200 millions, even more than the current standard of GPG-level.