VIDEO: Yonex ES5Pro / ES5Protech clamp and clamp base

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Apr 6, 2012.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    While i was at Synergy last night i took some video of their Yonex ES5 Pro / Protech clamp and clamp base movement. the famous clamp and clampbases made by Japanese company Toyo Zouki is considered to be one of the best in the world.

the build quality is as expected top notch. the bases are actually quite massive but aptly shaped so that they don't interfere with hand movement. the action of the locking lever is very very light. a light flick of the lever is enough to engage it. unlocking is done by either clicking the unlock switch or dropping the clamp down. it is not possible push the lever back.

engaging and disengaging the clamps are equally smooth and light in action. in fact so light that any bumps might accidentally disengage it like i have done in a few previous occasions.

the movement of the base is quite smooth but i was expecting something even lighter. from examining the interface between base and the track, they are both made with precision and have very fine tolerance. you can hardly wobble the bases but at the same time, the tight tolerance don't impede the movement. the movement isn't as light. some amount of force is still needed to reposition them but they are smooth and there are totally no position in which they bind at all.

despite maintaining regular lubrication, since this is a shop machine that has seen daily use for a couple of years, i believe smoothness can be even improved with an overhaul cleaning and regrease.

overall, the clamp and clampbase has a very solid feel, they are not light but the mass do give an indication that they are strongly built and will take the abuse of a tournament stringer for many years of service.

personally i think it is great to play with the Yonex/Toyo clamp/base again. now i know what is the quality level it need to be considered the best.

#1 kwun, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You can see how finely the clamps and bases are machined when kwun drops the PT clamp - it takes three seconds to fall down (and doesn't even fall down all the way!).

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it drops fast when new. over time when dust and other gunk accumulates then they start sticking. those has seen quite a bit of action so i think it is time for a clean up.

but yes, tolerance is quite small. probably there to reduce setback.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

IIRC the ES5 bases are on a real hair-trigger; not sure about the PT. There is such a thing as too responsive:).

5. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

Nice machine. The Price to get one is even nicer. Too bad

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

We're going to need a speedrun on the PT now, you know... the Stringfest one was incomplete!

7. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    My dream machine. I'll buy it (along with every racket currently in production)...just as soon as I win the lottery :D.